Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome visitors?
On the edge
post Jul 11 2015, 06:10 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

There is a big difference between wars and uprisings of subjugated peoples. Frankly, the threat of war between the apathetic nation states in the EU is probably minimal. Externally, major threats exist and are likely to emerge, as ever. Nonetheless, immigration is yet but a symptom, not a cause. An uprising is likely when immigrants stop wanting to come and many of our home populations start to leave. The usual and most likely cause will be economic collapse. For us, the long term outlook is bleak; what have we left save dodgy banking and services? This fertile island imports most of our foodstuffs and our fuel stocks. Don't mention our national intelligence, green energy being yet another example of where we haven't even the wit get that right. So for me, at the moment, immigration is an indicator that there is still some hope.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 11 2015, 08:45 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jul 9 2015, 10:14 PM) *
Nope, quite right. But then drummer boys getting their heads cut off, bands of men abusing children, councils having to print leaflets in 17 different languages, schools where English is no longer the first language doesn't sound like much fun to me either.
Are you seriously comparing things ingrained in our society such as Ice Cream and Rock'n'Roll with one off tragic and despicable acts like "drummer boys getting their heads cut off"?

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Jul 24 2015, 08:37 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

Many of the Indian engineers and programmers are here because industrial-scale tax dodgers like Vodafone (eg http://goo.gl/W1GVoH) find it in their business interests to hire cheap well educated labour from the subcontinent rather than contributing to the education system here. That's inevitable, it's how unconstrained capitalism works but those who are complaining about the poor quality of the UK education system need to understand that it's in Vodafone's interest to keep it that way so that they can import cheap labour from overseas while avoiding contributing here..

It's likely that many of those who are working for Vodafone here will have been employed by them initially in India because the current government's restrictions on migration do not apply to an organisation's employees.

Regarding net contribution to the economy, its obvious that some Indian workers have started families here and often have aged relatives with them. I'd be interested to know what their actual contribution is. If it's a net positive then that's excellent and they are, without doubt very welcome visitors. I for one welcome increasing diversity in Newbury regardless of the predictable slurs pumped out here.

But I seriously would like to know at what benefit/cost to our local economy. Does WBC have anything on that, I wonder? Specifically on West Berkshire, that is.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 24 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Jul 24 2015, 09:37 AM) *
Many of the Indian engineers and programmers are here because industrial-scale tax dodgers like Vodafone (eg http://goo.gl/W1GVoH) find it in their business interests to hire cheap well educated labour from the subcontinent rather than contributing to the education system here. That's inevitable, it's how unconstrained capitalism works but those who are complaining about the poor quality of the UK education system need to understand that it's in Vodafone's interest to keep it that way so that they can import cheap labour from overseas while avoiding contributing here..

It's likely that many of those who are working for Vodafone here will have been employed by them initially in India because the current government's restrictions on migration do not apply to an organisation's employees.

Regarding net contribution to the economy, its obvious that some Indian workers have started families here and often have aged relatives with them. I'd be interested to know what their actual contribution is. If it's a net positive then that's excellent and they are, without doubt very welcome visitors. I for one welcome increasing diversity in Newbury regardless of the predictable slurs pumped out here.

But I seriously would like to know at what benefit/cost to our local economy. Does WBC have anything on that, I wonder? Specifically on West Berkshire, that is.

An understandable parochial view. It would be worth you visiting India, to see the schools and universities. Equally, in funding terms, the Government there has rather more difficulty than ours in collecting taxes. Then, even using world statistical comparators, our education system really doesn't stand scrutiny.

As for our local economy, yes I'd also like to see how much individuals contribute, but again, be very careful what you ask for. After all, many of the high end IT workers depart for elsewhere at the end of their project contract, whilst our growing indigenous low skill / low pay workforce stay with their ageing relatives.

Vodafone may well be astute when interpreting tax law; but then again, do any of us or any other firm 'err on the side of caution' and pay that little extra because it helps? Who made the broadly incomprehensible taxation rules in the first place...Aaah yes, our dear MPs. people who didn't think it appropriate to add receipts to expense claims...I don't think lessons in probity are therefore in order, do you?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 24 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I wonder if big employers like Vodafone have an adverse effect on local house prices and rent.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 24 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 24 2015, 04:52 PM) *
I wonder if big employers like Vodafone have an adverse effect on local house prices and rent.

Yes, they probably do, as does employment or at least acceptably easy access. The proof of that is the low prices that prevail in areas of the country with limited employment opportunities. Sadly, without bigger employers, the community ability to sustain itself is strictly limited as indeed Newbury often found in the past when agriculture was depressed. Low accommodation costs are still of little benefit if your income is limited. Catch 22.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jul 27 2015, 10:08 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

This day and age, working from home, people can have a good paying southern job but live up north .

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 29 2015, 06:49 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Jul 27 2015, 11:08 AM) *
This day and age, working from home, people can have a good paying southern job but live up north .

So let's get the old DNS line open again then!

Seriously, that's right and it opens some interesting possibilities. For instance, as our dear local council have found, 'working from home' is popular with the staff. Perhaps then, we should be actively encouraging that further step. That would significantly reduce the number of 'key workers' needing 'affordable homes'?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 29 2015, 02:15 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 29 2015, 07:49 AM) *
Seriously, that's right and it opens some interesting possibilities. For instance, as our dear local council have found, 'working from home' is popular with the staff. Perhaps then, we should be actively encouraging that further step. That would significantly reduce the number of 'key workers' needing 'affordable homes'?

While they might perform an important roll, I wouldn't regard jobs that could be done from home as key. Key workers are people who have to get their hands dirty: doctors, nurses, carers, etc.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 29 2015, 03:32 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 29 2015, 03:15 PM) *
While they might perform an important roll, I wouldn't regard jobs that could done from home as key. Key workers are people who have to get their hands dirty: doctors, nurses, carers, etc.

Quite, but the rules get interpreted in different ways. I'm acquainted with two people who are considered to be key workers by the housing provider (central London) both of whom have purely admin. type roles easily delivered far from the madding crowd. In any event loosing a good few of the office bound roles would at least free up accommodation generally.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Sep 13 2015, 12:15 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

Maybe I'm getting this entirely out of proportion but the number of Indian IT workers here does seem to be escalating rather rapidly. Many of them appear to have brought their wives, parents and in-laws with them as can be seen from the increasing numbers of elderly sari-clad buggy-pushing women in town.. Is this entirely a good thing? Has anyone looked at its overall impact on our schools and health services? If it's a net positive, fine. But if it isn't, then what? I really don't know, just getting a little worried.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 13 2015, 04:38 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Sep 13 2015, 01:15 AM) *
Maybe I'm getting this entirely out of proportion but the number of Indian IT workers here does seem to be escalating rather rapidly. Many of them appear to have brought their wives, parents and in-laws with them as can be seen from the increasing numbers of elderly sari-clad buggy-pushing women in town.. Is this entirely a good thing? Has anyone looked at its overall impact on our schools and health services? If it's a net positive, fine. But if it isn't, then what? I really don't know, just getting a little worried.

I suggest you learn to like it, it's not going to change and is only the visible face of net migration. Be happy we have someone intelligent enough to do the work.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 13 2015, 07:08 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 29 2015, 07:49 AM) *
So let's get the old DNS line open again then!

If Corbyn attains power then that may happen!!
Under BR of course! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 13 2015, 07:36 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

People have been migrating into Newbury to work for Vodafone for the last 30 years - unless you're some kind of hermit you'll know a number of people yourself who migrated here to work for the company. Whether an abundance of well-paid high-technology jobs is a good thing is I guess a matter of opinion, and there are certainly people who hark back to the days when the only jobs were in local agriculture, you were not free to leave the district of your birth without your lord's permission, and your life expectancy was around 30 years what with seasonal starvation black death and fighting the French, but I prefer Newbury as it is now - I'm an ecconomic migrant myself.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 13 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Seems a bit strange to single out Indian IT workers, as presumably they'd still be an impact on our schools and health services in Newbury if they'd moved their family from Islington or Inverness.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 13 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Plus how do you know they're Indian? Because they wear Saris?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 13 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Surely they may hail from anywhere on the subcontinent? I don't quite understand the objection?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 14 2015, 05:57 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 13 2015, 08:08 AM) *
If Corbyn attains power then that may happen!!
Under BR of course! tongue.gif

Well, there you go Biker; every cloud has a silver lining!!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Sep 14 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Ever thought that vodafone hire indian people because some are INCREDIBLY well educated?
Some are cheap labour of course.
But I used to live opposite a guy who was of indian decent who worked at Vodafone. He was quite high up in the technical department (doing 3g/4g bits and pieces) and was on £55k a year.
Not bad really.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 15 2015, 05:05 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 14 2015, 06:57 AM) *
Well, there you go Biker; every cloud has a silver lining!!

Yes, the cost would not be an issue.
Just print some to pay for it! wink.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:40 PM