Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where Our Food Comes From.
HJD
post May 22 2014, 06:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 322

Not really a Rant but something I found quite amusing yesterday. A group of schoolchildren on an outing wearing tabards bearing the statement 'Learning Where Our Food Comes From'. Where were they, some Local Farm perhaps, maybe a Market Garden ! No, Tesco's !!!!!!!!!! rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 22 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Probably as that's where all the food ends up, it's the final part of the supply chain before you bring it home!

+Quote Post
motormad
post May 22 2014, 10:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

To be fair that's something I would probably say

Where does electricity come from?
the plug socket.

Let kids be kids....... expecting them to grow up all too quickly is not nice let me tell you that first hand.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 25 2014, 07:40 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (motormad @ May 22 2014, 11:38 PM) *
To be fair that's something I would probably say

Where does electricity come from?
the plug socket.

Let kids be kids....... expecting them to grow up all too quickly is not nice let me tell you that first hand.

I don't think educating kids into the world is expecting them to grow up too quickly.
I can see HJD's point.
Taking them to Tesco's doesn't really help in this does it? But I suppose it's cheaper than organising an outing to a farm!
Maybe there was more going on here than meets the eye and one shouldn't jump to conclusions.
Maybe they were exploring supermarkets as part of the food supply chain and would do the other bits that gave them the real answer to the slogan on their tabards another day. mellow.gif
Perhaps they should go to an airport or container port next! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andy1
post May 25 2014, 02:10 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

A Supermarket. What a stupid place to learn about where food, processed, fresh or otherwise comes from.

+Quote Post
pbonnay
post May 25 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,791

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 25 2014, 08:40 AM) *
I don't think educating kids into the world is expecting them to grow up too quickly.
I can see HJD's point.
Taking them to Tesco's doesn't really help in this does it? But I suppose it's cheaper than organising an outing to a farm!
Maybe there was more going on here than meets the eye and one shouldn't jump to conclusions.
Maybe they were exploring supermarkets as part of the food supply chain and would do the other bits that gave them the real answer to the slogan on their tabards another day. mellow.gif
Perhaps they should go to an airport or container port next! rolleyes.gif

Good post. +1

+Quote Post
x2lls
post May 25 2014, 09:04 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (pbonnay @ May 25 2014, 06:13 PM) *
Good post. +1

Yes, quite and good response Biker!
The OP is scant to say the least. MM, OK, we let you tell us first hand! unsure.gif

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
nerc
post May 26 2014, 04:23 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

QUOTE (Andy1 @ May 25 2014, 03:10 PM) *
A Supermarket. What a stupid place to learn about where food, processed, fresh or otherwise comes from.

The group of children that were at Tescos had already spent 2 previous days travelling to The Hungerford Farm Shop and saw how some produce was grown, they then travelled to the large free range egg farm on Suttons estates.
They then travelled to Beedon to a farm which rears and produces its own meat.
The Tesco visit was the final link in the chain.
I was part of the team that organised this trip.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 26 2014, 06:58 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (nerc @ May 26 2014, 05:23 AM) *
The group of children that were at Tescos had already spent 2 previous days travelling to The Hungerford Farm Shop and saw how some produce was grown, they then travelled to the large free range egg farm on Suttons estates.

But you have to remember that this is a forum for po faced, pontificating, know it all types who aren't interested in facts, just there own prejudice. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 26 2014, 09:10 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (newres @ May 26 2014, 07:58 AM) *
But you have to remember that this is a forum for po faced, pontificating, know it all types who aren't interested in facts, just there own prejudice. laugh.gif

...not to mention those who like to split hairs and pick up odd spelling mistakes. laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 26 2014, 11:51 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 26 2014, 10:10 AM) *
...not to mention those who like to split hairs and pick up odd spelling mistakes. laugh.gif

Well reined in there. smile.gif

+Quote Post
newres
post May 26 2014, 04:39 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 26 2014, 10:10 AM) *

No misspellings, but there was a typo. ;-)

+Quote Post
Andy1
post May 26 2014, 06:06 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (nerc @ May 26 2014, 05:23 AM) *

There isn't a face with tongue in cheek. Perhaps I should have included a poked out tongue for the original poster. It was clear to me, that the kids would have had more than one insight.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 26 2014, 06:41 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Andy1 @ May 26 2014, 07:06 PM) *
There isn't a face with tongue in cheek. Perhaps I should have included a poked out tongue for the original poster. It was clear to me, that the kids would have had more than one insight.

I believe tongue.gif is regarded as a tongue in cheek smiley. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 26 2014, 07:58 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (newres @ May 26 2014, 07:58 AM) *

There he / she goes again.
If you can't beat 'em, insult. em!! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post May 26 2014, 07:59 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

You will all I am sure be pleased to hear that there are a few local schools (generally in the rural areas) that go a step further and have their own allotment, thereby encouraging young people to understand exactly how their food is produced.

Personally I see this as a really positive initiative and it would be great if all schools were able to follow such good practice.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera
Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward & Deputy Leader

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 26 2014, 08:19 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ May 26 2014, 08:59 PM) *
You will all I am sure be pleased to hear that there are a few local schools (generally in the rural areas) that go a step further and have their own allotment, thereby encouraging young people to understand exactly how their food is produced.

Personally I see this as a really positive initiative and it would be great if all schools were able to follow such good practice.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera
Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward & Deputy Leader

Agreed. Would be even better if the schools were allowed to use the produce in the kitchens....... They will all have kitchens soon, in order to deliver the free school meals. I also think it a shame such basic 'home economics' is not seen as a parental role...

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 26 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 26 2014, 09:19 PM) *
Agreed. Would be even better if the schools were allowed to use the produce in the kitchens....... They will all have kitchens soon, in order to deliver the free school meals. I also think it a shame such basic 'home economics' is not seen as a parental role...

Err, but they do! Certainly at the school my niece goes to in Newbury, they do gardening and eat the produce. Not that they produce enough for school dinners of course. Equally, who says basic home economics isn't a parental responsibility? We certainly showed our kids how to cook, sew, and so on. Seriously, NWNreader, didn't you?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 26 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 26 2014, 09:28 PM) *
Err, but they do! Certainly at the school my niece goes to in Newbury, they do gardening and eat the produce. Not that they produce enough for school dinners of course. Equally, who says basic home economics isn't a parental responsibility? We certainly showed our kids how to cook, sew, and so on. Seriously, NWNreader, didn't you?

If the use of the produce is widespread then I am one happy choppy.

As for the parenting bit, you bet we did, as did our parents before. Maybe cynical, but I know of many for whom a healthy diet is low fat crisps and diet cola (and I mean 'know', having observed a study on the topic). Too many do not know where milk comes from because they don't drink it and it isn't explained on Nintendo....

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 26 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 26 2014, 09:38 PM) *
If the use of the produce is widespread then I am one happy choppy.

As for the parenting bit, you bet we did, as did our parents before. Maybe cynical, but I know of many for whom a healthy diet is low fat crisps and diet cola (and I mean 'know', having observed a study on the topic). Too many do not know where milk comes from because they don't drink it and it isn't explained on Nintendo....

Of course, but there has always been a segment of society that has failed to look after their children, but that doesn't mean all or even a majority.

Personally, I think the trip to Tesco was even more educational than simply looking at food. They were also seeing a workplace and all that means. They will also see that 'shop work' is far more than standing by a till. Dare I also say, seeing the importance of not wasting anything.

It's a shame they can't do more. The MMs mention of an electric plug as where electricity comes from a case in point. Taking them to see the network operations room might help them to be rather less worried about sustainable energy than we are.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:50 AM