Claude
post Aug 12 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,574

The story is here

The petition is here

Over 1,300 names on a petition to reduce the speed limit to 50mph and install average speed cameras, and MP Benyon is now calling for action.

Does anyone else support this petition? I can't say I do, I just want to know why the accidents have happened in the first place.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 12 2016, 12:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I suppose if it were to reduce deaths, it might have to happen. I hate ASCs.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 12 2016, 01:05 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 12 2016, 01:46 PM) *
I hate ASCs.

But they are very effective, unlike other "slow down and speed up when past" cameras. I just bung on the cruise control and let the idiots pass me. Nae problem.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 12 2016, 02:10 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

There are thousands of miles of dual carriageway in this country most at the national speed limit.
Like Claude, interested to know why this particular stretch of road.
I suppose to reduce the speed would be "being seen to do something" like the replacement of Ufton Crossing with a bridge.
Is it the road / crossing or is it some of the people that use it?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Aug 12 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 12 2016, 03:10 PM) *
There are thousands of miles of dual carriageway in this country most at the national speed limit.
Like Claude, interested to know why this particular stretch of road.
I suppose it's reduce the speed would be "being seen to do something" like the replacement of Ufton Crossing with a bridge.
Is it the road / crossing or is it some of the people that use it?

Roads are not dangerous, people are. The same is said about guns.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Downlander
post Aug 14 2016, 10:47 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64

There are several reasons "why this stretch of road".

The slip roads at Beedon and East Ilsley have inadequately short acceleration lanes and extremely poor sightlines so that joining a two-lane highway where vehicles are travelling at high speed is very dangerous.

Another main factor is the hills. Gore Hill is very steep and with only two lanes the differences in speed between lorries and speeding cars, coupled with poor driving of course, often results in accidents and has done for many years. It is getting worse and worse as traffic volume increases.

There is also no hard shoulder so nowhere to escape, and nowhere for broken down vehicles to get off the carriageway.

Scarcely a day goes by when there is not an accident on the stretch of road between Beedon and Chilton.

On Wednesday 10 August there was a horrific fatal accident which killed a woman and three children and injured 12 people, one very seriously. This happened on Gore Hill and involved four cars and four lorries. This made national news and you must surely have heard about it.

There is little that can be done about irresponsible and poor driving habits, but at least slowing down the traffic may prevent some of these accidents or lessen their effects.

There is a new petition directed to the Government, please sign and help us.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/164577

+Quote Post
Downlander
post Aug 14 2016, 10:57 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Apologies, I see the first link is to the recent fatal accident. I assumed it referred to the earlier fatal accident which triggered the petition linked in the same post.

+Quote Post
gel
post Aug 14 2016, 11:54 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

I'm sure if TVP had maintained the Traffic Police base behind Chieveley Services, there'd have been more of a visible & covert presence on the A34 south & north of Chieveley.
I assume officers based in Berkshire turn round at W Ilsley or Harwell as edge of their boundary, and north of that covered from Wantage or Didcot area police.

There are occasional sightings of Nuclear Constabulary Police Land Rovers on Harwell- W Ilsley stretch as some of them seem to like to park up on The Ridgeway.
A34 not their domain, but am sure their occasional presence will slow down/ improve behaviour of many drivers. Their HQ is at Culham.
https://twitter.com/nuclearpolice

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 14 2016, 12:31 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Claude @ Aug 12 2016, 01:24 PM) *
The story is here

The petition is here

Over 1,300 names on a petition to reduce the speed limit to 50mph and install average speed cameras, and MP Benyon is now calling for action.

Does anyone else support this petition? I can't say I do, I just want to know why the accidents have happened in the first place.

I agree that it's necessary to understand the underlying cause - is it excessive speed for the conditions, or is it the ridiculously short acceleration lanes, or a problem with lorries? A 50mph limit may help, but there may be a more effective silution.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Downlander
post Aug 14 2016, 02:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 14 2016, 01:31 PM) *
I agree that it's necessary to understand the underlying cause - is it excessive speed for the conditions, or is it the ridiculously short acceleration lanes, or a problem with lorries? A 50mph limit may help, but there may be a more effective silution.

It's all of those things in various combinations with careless driving and excessive speed.

We know there are more effective solutions, but major improvements will take years to happen, even if Highways England can be persuaded to do anything. We have been asking for years already, but the carnage continues. Lowering the speed is a measure that can be taken quickly and would at least help a bit. It's a start, no more.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 16 2016, 09:30 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Downlander @ Aug 14 2016, 11:47 AM) *
There are several reasons "why this stretch of road".

The slip roads at Beedon and East Ilsley have inadequately short acceleration lanes and extremely poor sightlines so that joining a two-lane highway where vehicles are travelling at high speed is very dangerous.

As are many other slip roads on this and other dual carriageways.
Newbury By-pass section for example.
Another main factor is the hills. Gore Hill is very steep and with only two lanes the differences in speed between lorries and speeding cars, coupled with poor driving of course, often results in accidents and has done for many years. It is getting worse and worse as traffic volume increases.

If it's just Gore Hill that is the problem then a lower speed limit is just required here.
There is also no hard shoulder so nowhere to escape, and nowhere for broken down vehicles to get off the carriageway.

As on most other dual carriageways.
Scarcely a day goes by when there is not an accident on the stretch of road between Beedon and Chilton.

An exaggeration and generalisation.
There is little that can be done about irresponsible and poor driving habits, but at least slowing down the traffic may prevent some of these accidents or lessen their effects.

Then why not reduce the speed limit on all dual carriageways?

I appreciate your concerns Adrian but I still question why this section?
All dual carriageways are inherently dangerous for the reasons you have outlined in your post.
If slowing down traffic is a solution then is this the thin end of the wedge for slowing down all dual carriageways.
All of the 2000 deaths a year on our roads are a tragedy in themselves but it would appear to be a price we are prepared to pay for the convenience of the car and lorry.
Do we want to accept this toll we pay every year or do we want to slow down the whole country in an attempt to reduce it?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 17 2016, 12:58 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Sorry ole chap, but, Adrian? Who he?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 17 2016, 06:53 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Aug 17 2016, 01:58 AM) *
Sorry ole chap, but, Adrian? Who he?

Was a Green Party candidate for Downland ward to WBC a while ago.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 17 2016, 08:22 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Whether other dual carriage ways deserve extra speed restrictions doesn't negate the possible need for speed restrictions on the A34.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 17 2016, 08:22 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Whether other dual carriage was deserve extra speed restrictions doesn't negate the possible need for speed restrictions on the A34.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 17 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 16 2016, 10:30 PM) *
As are many other slip roads on this and other dual carriageways.
Newbury By-pass section for example.

If it's just Gore Hill that is the problem then a lower speed limit is just required here.

As on most other dual carriageways.

An exaggeration and generalisation.

Then why not reduce the speed limit on all dual carriageways?

I appreciate your concerns Adrian but I still question why this section?
All dual carriageways are inherently dangerous for the reasons you have outlined in your post.
If slowing down traffic is a solution then is this the thin end of the wedge for slowing down all dual carriageways.
All of the 2000 deaths a year on our roads are a tragedy in themselves but it would appear to be a price we are prepared to pay for the convenience of the car and lorry.
Do we want to accept this toll we pay every year or do we want to slow down the whole country in an attempt to reduce it?

I suspect, Gentlemen, in reality, you are both in violent agreement!

First, it's pretty obvious 'something needs to be done'. The accident rate is higher than the norm, so yes, it's right to investigate.

Second, to satisfy the immediate public 'headache' a speed limit would have a paracetamol effect; short term relief.

Third, for whatever reason, the original reburbishment of the A34 was flawed. It was supposed to be a trunk Euro route; which in most people's mind, would indicate a three lane motorway type road at bare minimum. However, like it or not, economics supported by the usual flawed 'expert statistics' suggested that the existing two lanes would be adequate.

Two lanes are really not now appropriate but we still have no money apparently. So a rethink for some of the route is necessary; but it will take time to think through and still longer to implement.

Some interesting parallels with the development and management of the old railway!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 17 2016, 10:37 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 17 2016, 07:53 AM) *
Was a Green Party candidate for Downland ward to WBC a while ago.

Ahh, right, I remember. A loser with a personal website. And absolutely no idea on the issues of vehicle pollution cause and effect. Made me chuckle. Didn't he move to Devon or somewhere? Thereby raising the average IQ of two countys simultaneously. cool.gif

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 17 2016, 10:53 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Aug 17 2016, 11:37 AM) *
Ahh, right, I remember. A loser with a personal website. And absolutely no idea on the issues of vehicle pollution cause and effect. Made me chuckle. Didn't he move to Devon or somewhere? Thereby raising the average IQ of two countys simultaneously. cool.gif

Love it; but be careful when applying that canard in Berkshire, when talking about election candidates; our dear friends at WBC have an admitted issue with numeracy!

Even so, as Alan Turing rightly said 'Sometimes it's the people no one imagines anything of who do the the things no one imagines'.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 17 2016, 10:56 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

OK, this speed restriction thing.
Where do you draw the line between an acceptable speed for people and goods that need to get somewhere in a reasonable time, and acceptable risk?
After all, if the speed were reduced to 20mph it is unlikely that anyone would be killed or seriously injured!
As may have pointed out the problem is with driving, not the road.
A road is not inherently dangerous. it is just an inanimate strip of tarmac.
Thus it must be those that use it that are dangerous.
You can impose a speed limit but this would not remove the other law breaking activities that many seem to find acceptable to break.
Mobile phones, dangerous driving, tiredness, tailgating, distractions etc.

(All in addition to the antics of BMW drivers who have been watching too much Top Gear!!! tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 17 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Part of the problem is that it is a hilly section of road, hgvs (bless 'em) need to maintain their rolling momentum and I see them constantly pulling out into the second lane to overtake slower traffic seemingly at the last moment. No problem with that, however when you combine this with drivers with mobiles, low attention spans, low experience, or indeed with a plenitude of distractions (like kids in the backseat) you create a 'perfect storm's scenario. A partial solution would be a third or slow traffic lane on these sections. Get it in France, works.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:48 AM