IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The postives about Newbury - West Berks Council, An an antidote to the negative stories!
On the edge
post Mar 11 2013, 03:11 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Comments were made in an earlier thread that suggesting there were few if any positive threads on this Forum, highlighting as an example criticism of the local Council. So here's an opportunity to put that right, below is something I think is a very big plus for the Council, any more?

West Berkshire Council still employ a significant workforce in the town centre, this consequently helps maintain retail viability and vibrancy. Additionally, it means that those responsible for implementing many of the Councils decisions will be affected themselves. Added to which anyone wishing to call on the Council can do so very easily as the Town is necessarily the public transport node for the area. So we ought to applaud West Berkshire Council, executive and staff, for not forsaking the town.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 11 2013, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

swoon....

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 11 2013, 05:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't really understand the op, are you saying West Berks council are good because they have a lot of employees?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 11 2013, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 11 2013, 05:26 PM) *
I don't really understand the op, are you saying West Berks council are good because they have a lot of employees?

Well... they are keeping people in work. In the days of Austerity that must count for something? And don't forget the high wages they give some of their employees (a generous company as well... even though it is tax payers money.... but then what do we what it for? We'd only be miserable). All helps the economy. Sometimes the little man (or woman) must suffer for the greater good.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 11 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

It's well reported that public sector workers are paid well and generally work to lower standards than those in the private sector.
So many may be employed, yes, at our cost.

Not saying I wouldn't take up the opportunity if it were given...

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 11 2013, 05:58 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 11 2013, 05:53 PM) *
It's well reported that public sector workers are paid well and generally work to lower standards than those in the private sector.
So many may be employed, yes, at our cost.

Not saying I wouldn't take up the opportunity if it were given...

Exactly. We all want high pay and do f*** all for it.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 11 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (GMR @ Mar 11 2013, 05:58 PM) *
Exactly. We all want high pay and do f*** all for it.

It says a lot if all they are responsible for and they only get acclaim for being a large employer who pays well? Now you know why we have to have a 2% rate rise instead of having a cut? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Mar 11 2013, 06:47 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 11 2013, 03:11 PM) *
we ought to applaud West Berkshire Council, executive and staff, for not forsaking the town.

Um. West Berks Council are not a private company. It's OUR money they're using. WE have a right to expect they'd use it wisely and support those who pay their salaries. Don't we?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 11 2013, 07:38 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 11 2013, 06:23 PM) *
It says a lot if all they are responsible for and they only get acclaim for being a large employer who pays well? Now you know why we have to have a 2% rate rise instead of having a cut? rolleyes.gif

I bet they wished it was increased even more.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 11 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 11 2013, 03:11 PM) *
Comments were made in an earlier thread that suggesting there were few if any positive threads on this Forum, highlighting as an example criticism of the local Council. So here's an opportunity to put that right, below is something I think is a very big plus for the Council, any more?

West Berkshire Council still employ a significant workforce in the town centre, this consequently helps maintain retail viability and vibrancy. Additionally, it means that those responsible for implementing many of the Councils decisions will be affected themselves. Added to which anyone wishing to call on the Council can do so very easily as the Town is necessarily the public transport node for the area. So we ought to applaud West Berkshire Council, executive and staff, for not forsaking the town.

Good call OtE, the administration of Newbury is sometimes not as oppressive, shambolic, inefficient, self-serving, inept, unaccountable, perverse, or mean-spirited as in other places. For example, here's a story about a man who was executed by firing squad in North Korea for criticizing the state in a private phone call, and that probably doesn't happen in Newbury, although the Newbury state apparatus does not as a matter of policy discuss the level of sanction for those vexatious citizens who do choose to criticize it.

So well done the Local Government of Newbury, you're not as bad as North Korea. We should put that on our Town Flag.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 11 2013, 08:24 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

It's a pity we couldn't vote in other councils. Hammersmith gets a good rating I understand! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Mar 11 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

So we must be grateful to WBC for employing those incompetents that wouldn't be able to get a job elsewhere! - and so many of them too!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 11 2013, 09:34 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Mar 11 2013, 09:26 PM) *
So we must be grateful to WBC for employing those incompetents that wouldn't be able to get a job elsewhere! - and so many of them too!

Technically we employee them as we pay their wages. You know what they say; it is no good blaming the monkey but the organ grinder.

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Mar 11 2013, 09:39 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 11 2013, 08:24 PM) *
It's a pity we couldn't vote in other councils. Hammersmith gets a good rating I understand! tongue.gif

But we can vote in a different council in 2015. There is no reason why the Tories should be left to continue their campaign of needless cuts to essential services whilst they hoard money away for a supposed 'rainy day'.

I would suggest that the citizens of West Berkshire challenge our current political leaders at every opportunity to account for their actions. If the motivation for their deeds is just, then they will not mind being questioned as to how effectively they are spending our money.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 11 2013, 09:47 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

We do challenge them but

a) Not for the right reasons
b.) No-one listens anyway so I just eat Pizza or like do something else.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 11 2013, 09:58 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Mar 11 2013, 09:26 PM) *

I think there's a distinction to be made here between the organisations and the people they employ, and WBC is a very large organisation with many different departments, not all of which, if any, are incompetent. Also, criticising our local government - the process and administration of local government and the elected councillors who are supposed to manage it - is one thing, and a particularly rubbish thing at that, but impugning the competence of the staff who work for those organisations isn't right.

It's a common slur that local government employees couldn't cut it in the real worlds, but it's a lazy baseless slur. There's no good evidence that people working in comparable jobs in the public sector are any less capable or that their remuneration is any greater than their private sector comparators. Repeating the slur reinforces it, but it doesn't make it any more truthful. I've known useless over-paid people working in private industry, and I've know brilliant people earning peanuts who work in the public sector because that's where their work is. I've also known plenty of average ability people paid average wages for average work in both private and public sector, and in truth this is the reality - we're all just people.

If the quality of the service you get from local government is rubbish, or the efficiency with which that service is delivered is lamentable, or if the quality of the administration of that local government is high-handed, self-serving, and unaccountable - then lay that at the door of the chair-moisteners you elected, but please don't trash the poor schmoes just doing their work.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Mar 11 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 11 2013, 09:58 PM) *
I think there's a distinction to be made here between the organisations and the people they employ, and WBC is a very large organisation with many different departments, not all of which, if any, are incompetent. Also, criticising our local government - the process and administration of local government and the elected councillors who are supposed to manage it - is one thing, and a particularly rubbish thing at that, but impugning the competence of the staff who work for those organisations isn't right.

It's a common slur that local government employees couldn't cut it in the real worlds, but it's a lazy baseless slur. There's no good evidence that people working in comparable jobs in the public sector are any less capable or that their remuneration is any greater than their private sector comparators. Repeating the slur reinforces it, but it doesn't make it any more truthful. I've known useless over-paid people working in private industry, and I've know brilliant people earning peanuts who work in the public sector because that's where their work is. I've also known plenty of average ability people paid average wages for average work in both private and public sector, and in truth this is the reality - we're all just people.

If the quality of the service you get from local government is rubbish, or the efficiency with which that service is delivered is lamentable, or if the quality of the administration of that local government is high-handed, self-serving, and unaccountable - then lay that at the door of the chair-moisteners you elected, but please don't trash the poor schmoes just doing their work.

No I agree not all are incompetent, but still believe some of the more senior managers do not serve the councilors and therefore public, by both selective information for decision making and assisting in the manipulation of figures and objections by the public.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 11 2013, 11:07 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 11 2013, 09:58 PM) *

That's a great synopsis. In effect, there are three layers.

First level are the Councillors, who we elect. In this area at least, its an oligopoly, there is no real difference between the two parties. They are demonstrably closer than the coalition nationally. This is hardly surprising, because over the years they've abdicated their powers and responsibilities to:-

Second level; or the executive. They are the apparently immovable permanently employed full time senior management. In effect, they set the policy, set the standards and the organisation to deliver. Nothing, absolutely nothing will happen unless they agree. Its this lot that consequently set the ethos and the tone. That guarantees no matter who you vote for, this lot will just continue on their merry way. This then does leave

Third level; those simply trying to do the job.

Just to bring this sharply into focus, most of the institutionalised low pay in this Country isn't in the private sector, its actually here. The people looking after our elderly, cleaning our schools, etc.etc. Unless that middle layer is sorted, nothing will change, certainly won't in Newbury. That's why we need people in level 1, the Councillors, who will stand their ground and properly hold them to account. Experience shows they ain't in the Parties we have elected today!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 11 2013, 11:10 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Mar 11 2013, 09:39 PM) *
But we can vote in a different council in 2015. There is no reason why the Tories should be left to continue their campaign of needless cuts to essential services whilst they hoard money away for a supposed 'rainy day'.

I would suggest that the citizens of West Berkshire challenge our current political leaders at every opportunity to account for their actions. If the motivation for their deeds is just, then they will not mind being questioned as to how effectively they are spending our money.

It needs to be a wholly different Council, that is one that WILL get to grips with the Executive. Frankly, its not just about money, its about decent management together with economic and effective service delivery. Really can't see that coming from either of the two parties we have today. Opposition isn't simply playing insult tennis!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 12 2013, 06:40 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Just to go back to the original post, which was an attempt to be positive, I'd say we have a caustic brand here. Having been to a couple of 'Great Newt of Orme's' - I think I can safely say that this isn't just grumpy old men either. Also, and it was mentioned some other Councils seem to be better regarded. My personal experience would also support that contention. An old Chinese proverb says fish rot from the head - we have a serious problem, can it really wait until 2015?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:09 AM