> GRIT BINS ALL REFILLED
gel
post Jan 10 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

NWN story
Grit bins refilled across the district isn't so; one 1/2 m from centre of Stanmore
(Beedon RD) has been empty for last year!

With more snow forecast WBC get your contractor to fulfil their responsibilities.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jan 10 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Refilled, but now been emptied again?

Lots of driveways looking very clear?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 10 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 10 2010, 09:57 PM) *
one 1/2 m from centre of Stanmore.....
Half a metre from the centre?! No need to be so precise. Plus or minus ten metres will do.....

It's probably one they forgot about. If you contact WBC they'll come and take it away for you....

Anyhoo, must fly.... off to the nearest salt bin with my wheelbarrow to stock up on the brown stuff for my driveway...

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jan 11 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Guests

I live off Boundary Road.

Dont think there are any grit bins at all in the area. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 11 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jan 10 2010, 10:37 PM) *
Anyhoo, must fly.... off to the nearest salt bin with my wheelbarrow to stock up on the brown stuff for my driveway...

Beware! - Anyone who has a concrete drive the salt ruins it so be sparing if you can.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 11 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

We've got grit bins at the top of our road.... I'll have to check to see if they've been filled.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Jan 13 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (GMR @ Jan 11 2010, 10:07 PM) *
We've got grit bins at the top of our road.... I'll have to check to see if they've been filled.

The grit bin at the top of our estate was filled last Friday & I & 3 neighbours used it to clear tyre tracks right down the hill, but emptied the bin. That kept the hill ice free until today, but (credit where it's due!) WBC re-filled it & I spent 2 hours spreading again this morning, alone. Felt very pleased with myself, knowing that the neighbours on the estate with health issues could be reached etc. But just as I was finishing, some cheeky woman pulled up in her 4x4 Merc on an 08 plate & started to steal some grit! I informed her politely that the grit was for use on public roads & she said she only wanted a bit for her drive! Me thinks she could probably bought her own grit! Still, let's hope that if there's a fire at her house or a medical emergency that the emergency services can make it over the public roads, at least they'll be safe on her drive, eh?!
And before anyone asks, no, I haven't gritted my drive, just swept a path & walked everywhere!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 13 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Well the rest of us are grateful for your efforts Rachel. Some people! you never know the salty grit might spill out and rot the floor of the Merc.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jan 13 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (Rachel @ Jan 13 2010, 05:44 PM) *
The grit bin at the top of our estate was filled last Friday & I & 3 neighbours used it to clear tyre tracks right down the hill, but emptied the bin. That kept the hill ice free until today, but (credit where it's due!) WBC re-filled it & I spent 2 hours spreading again this morning, alone. Felt very pleased with myself, knowing that the neighbours on the estate with health issues could be reached etc. But just as I was finishing, some cheeky woman pulled up in her 4x4 Merc on an 08 plate & started to steal some grit! I informed her politely that the grit was for use on public roads & she said she only wanted a bit for her drive! Me thinks she could probably bought her own grit! Still, let's hope that if there's a fire at her house or a medical emergency that the emergency services can make it over the public roads, at least they'll be safe on her drive, eh?!
And before anyone asks, no, I haven't gritted my drive, just swept a path & walked everywhere!

Why do drivers of 4x4s appear to have such an arrogant persona ?
I am sure their are some very nice ones ( some I know personally ) , but as a generalisation they really are in need of a short sharp lesson in manners .
sad.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 13 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I think it's more that arrogant people like 4x4's rather than 4x4 owners are arrogant.

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 13 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 13 2010, 06:27 PM) *
I think it's more that arrogant people like 4x4's rather than 4x4 owners are arrogant.

Heard the snow minister Barbara Follett (a millionaire, so good representative of the labour voting public!!) skating round why promised huge salt delivery for Oxon CC didn't happen today as promised.

It occurs to me where government are directing output of the mines, salt in this case; reminds of how we resemble a failing(failed?) commuinist state!
The quaintly named SALT CELL now dictates distribution, so we taxpayers who pay through the nose for road tax/petrol/diesel/local taxes are snubbed again.

And then we can all expect multiple pot holes to damage our tyres in next week or so, till Council get round to repair these previously inferior repairs fail; sad.gif sad.gif watch out.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jan 13 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

The mine in Cheshire produces 30,000 tons a week. Their order book is over 300,000 tons. The machines are working 24/7 underground in huge caverns that require precision removal to prevent cave-ins.

It's not a case of sending some more political prisoners down there.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 15 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Rachel @ Jan 13 2010, 05:44 PM) *

The nearest bin to me has been emptied by the entire estate to put on their own paths & drives. NONE on the road at all. And the bin is at the top of an incline....

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Jan 15 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 15 2010, 07:43 PM) *
The nearest bin to me has been emptied by the entire estate to put on their own paths & drives. NONE on the road at all. And the bin is at the top of an incline....

What an inconsiderate bunch! It's obviously there for the road, & clearly the road needs to be cleared before individual drives....how will people get any further than the edge of their properties?! And how will that help them or others when faced with an icy incline? huh.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 16 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Rachel @ Jan 15 2010, 07:16 PM) *
What an inconsiderate bunch! It's obviously there for the road, & clearly the road needs to be cleared before individual drives....how will people get any further than the edge of their properties?! And how will that help them or others when faced with an icy incline? huh.gif

Mrs. Thatcher would have been delighted!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 16 2010, 12:40 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 16 2010, 12:25 PM) *
Mrs. Thatcher would have been delighted!

What the 'eck youonabout? blink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 16 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 16 2010, 12:40 PM) *
What the 'eck youonabout? blink.gif

I'm sure you know perfectly well what I mean. She invented the "me first" society.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 16 2010, 01:38 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 16 2010, 01:33 PM) *
I'm sure you know perfectly well what I mean. She invented the "me first" society.

And where did you get that idea?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 16 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 16 2010, 01:38 PM) *
And where did you get that idea?

I'm not going to be drawn any further off-topic, but perhaps you have forgotten the eighties and that evil friend of Mr. Pinochet etc.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Jan 17 2010, 04:25 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 16 2010, 02:57 PM) *
I'm not going to be drawn any further off-topic, but perhaps you have forgotten the eighties and that evil friend of Mr. Pinochet etc.

That's a bit rich seeing as it was you who introduced a totally irrelevant anti-Thatch rant into the topic! Are you one of these with selective memory who forgets about the 1970s mess that led to Thatcher having to mend Britain and get it back on its feet in the 80s? I expect you have also forgotten about the 1997 to 2010 period as well and missed another fine mess currently in the making?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:37 AM