Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 18 2016, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Can't see any issue with that but aren't they actually doing it as part of the job we pay them to do?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Apr 18 2016, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

“The risk of death is approximately four times higher when a pedestrian is hit at 40mph compared to at 30mph, .”

So there's no problem doing 40 in a 30 then - as long as when you do hit 'em, you have braked to below 30..

"...and where speed MAY be a factor."

You can look at this in two ways. EITHER he is being disingenuous and not categorising RTCs properly, but just taking the headline p.a.figure and dividing it by 365 OR he is stating the bleeding obvious since stationary vehicles can't collide

So the whole sentence is neither fact nor helpful

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 18 2016, 01:02 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Euphemism to hide in the places for the easy knick: kerching. I wish traffic control was separated from the police. I respect the police, but not the traffic division.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 18 2016, 07:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

The headline should read "Police officers do their job" shocker.

imo speed enforcement should be better targeted at sites where there is a significant safety hazard and that way motorists will be less inclined to complain that they've been unfairly nabbed and the "kerching" comments will be reduced. There would be far less sympathy for someone "only doing 35mph in a 30 mph limit" if they got caught doing the 35 on a road where there were little kids on their way to school.

There's too little enforcement outside schools and too much enforcement of the easy picking sites. There are a significant number of speed limits which are forced through by pressure from local residents and the insistence by Councillors that the resident's wishes are respected.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 18 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

To add to the above, speed limits should be set by ensuring certain criteria are met with regard results of speed surveys, analysis of accident data and take into account local risk factors or road characteristics which might justify a lowering of a limit such as presence of adjacent properties, location of a school etc.

The guidance is here but far too often it's overruled and an inappropriate is introduced for political reasons and may be against the recommendation of highway engineers. On a wide open road, where forward visibility is good, where there's open countryside to one side and where there are few properties alongside (so little risk of vehicles entering the road from private driveways) the motorist will feel that a 30mph is too slow and may be tempted to drive at 40mph as that 'feels right'. In those circumstances a 30mph may very well be too low and if it is brought in regardless you may find a high proportion of otherwise careful drivers using the road at a higher speed 'illegally'.

In the past the police, who are involved in the decision process as statutory consulteees, would respond to consultations by indicating that whilst they would not formally object to the public consultation proposal they would emphasise that the local authority should not rely on that speed limit being enforced by them as they didn't support it (rather than formally object).

Years go by and those roads which the Chief Constable previously said would not be enforced are now being enforced as they are quick and easy sites for coppers to get certain targets reached on their personal enforcement figures and appraisals.

A quick half hour with the speed gun, appraisal figure achieved and back to the canteen for tea, toast and medals.... hurrah!!

Monks Lane is such a site....... wink.gif rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 18 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

...and I suspect the Reading side of Woolhampton.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 18 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 18 2016, 08:58 PM) *
...and I suspect the Reading side of Woolhampton.

Couldn't possibly comment
"Parking up in the layby outside the limit and on a length subject to national speed limit and looking back into the limit is a bit sneaky don't you think officer?"
"errmmm....It's allowed.."

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 18 2016, 09:08 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I have no problem if it is a genuine cause for concern, but I doubt that bit of road deserves the attention it gets compared to other areas. I see little reason for it to be a 30. I feel the digital enforcement of traffic can cause a breakdown of trust between the public and the police. The police in person have discretion over most alleged offences, but with the speeding fine hoover sat at a place that is a right earner, the public and police relationship is challenged.

I did 35 in a 30 at about 2 in the morning in an empty road. I don't think that deserved the same penalty as 35 during the day in the presence of pedestrians. 1 mile an hour slower and I might have not even seen a letter. Moreover, I'd say that 30 is too fast outside a school during the day.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Apr 18 2016, 09:41 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

Bah! Ain't they not got nuffin betta too do? angry.gif police these days! All they wants to do is nick peepl breaking the laws!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 18 2016, 10:30 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Apr 18 2016, 10:41 PM) *
Bah! Ain't they not got nuffin betta too do? angry.gif police these days! All they wants to do is nick peepl breaking the laws!

That's the rub.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 18 2016, 11:20 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 18 2016, 11:30 PM) *
That's the rub.

Oh, you and your rubs! Naughty boy!

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 19 2016, 12:00 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

That's all there is at my age, lol! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 19 2016, 04:56 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Speeding is just one factor of bad driving that causes accidents.
It is concentrated on because it is easy to enforce and achieves quick results / money.

What about people who overtake badly, pull out in front, don't indicate, tailgate, drink drive, drug drive, phone drive, lack of maintenance / MOT, ignore traffic / level crossing lights, ignore zebra crossings, poor eyesight / health... etc. etc.....?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 19 2016, 06:18 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

This may all be redundant in a few years time. The gradual introduction of driverless cars and lorries is going to make things interesting. I suspect that in the interim, there will be much pressure to make spin off developments like reporting speed regulators and the like compulsory. I wonder if we'll see headlines such as 'More job losses in Police Traffic Division'?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 19 2016, 07:22 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Which poses the next question, driverless or, autonomous cars, what happens in the event of an accident? Where does the blame lie? Driver? Manufacturer software developer? For instance the law states "No person shall drive or cause or permit any other person to drive, a motor vehicle on a road if he is in such a position that he cannot have proper control of the vehicle or have a full view of the road and traffic ahead." The key words here are 'proper control, if you no longer have your hands on the controls can you be said to have proper control?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Apr 19 2016, 10:04 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 19 2016, 07:18 AM) *
This may all be redundant in a few years time. The gradual introduction of driverless cars and lorries is going to make things interesting. I suspect that in the interim, there will be much pressure to make spin off developments like reporting speed regulators and the like compulsory. I wonder if we'll see headlines such as 'More job losses in Police Traffic Division'?

I don't think driveless cars will take off to be honest.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 19 2016, 10:41 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Apr 19 2016, 11:04 AM) *
I don't think driveless cars will take off to be honest.

Which is a shame as that would be a solution to Newbury's traffic jams.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 19 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 19 2016, 11:41 AM) *
Which is a shame as that would be a solution to Newbury's traffic jams.

How?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Apr 19 2016, 01:31 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Apr 19 2016, 12:13 PM) *
How?

'cos they'd be in the area over the jams?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:43 PM