IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Helping the Helpless, Is this really what our MP is there for?
On the edge
post Sep 19 2012, 01:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Rather surprised the front page piece about an ex serviceman demanding a council house hasn't yet made the forum. Apparently, although he is in work, he doesn't earn enough to do more than feed himself and is homeless ever since he split from his wife. Now living in a car - he's demanding WBC find him accommodation. As they haven't - he's enlsited (better demanded) Richard Benyon's intervention. That resulted in an offer of accommodation in a short term let - which he turned down because it was only temporary! His case hinges on his being a 'hero' - which in his view seems we owe him accommodation for the rest of his natural.

Sorry, but I can't get very sympatetic here. There is a lot wrong with the story and he's not exactly helping himself. Given the previous weeks article about a 'Homelessness Worker' slagging off RB because he wouldn't discuss matters with him looks as if we are into a hearts and minds tug by the local charity. Frankly lads, you are not doing your cause much good.

MPs don't control local councils and this isn't their bag. Equally, there is rather a lot you can do to help yourselves and not just rely on handouts.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Sep 19 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

Odd post.

Our M.P. wouldn't talk to the representative of the homeless because he said it would be better if they contacted him themselves. Why would he do that if he felt there was nothing he could do?

So, he tells the homeless one week, don't sent representatives, contact me yourselves and then 'on the edge' complains when one of them does exactly that and says "Frankly lads, you are not doing your cause much good".

Got it? By doing what our M.P. asks of you, you're not doing your cause much good.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 19 2012, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

I have to agree with On the Edge. I don't really see him being a returned hero, he did four years in the army, jacked it in because he didn't like the job he was given and refused a medical discharge. Something there doesn't add up.
I'm surprised at RB falling for his sob story but at least he didn't put any pressure on WBC to provide housing.
He was offered the opportunity to apply for a property which was due to be demolished in six months which would have taken him through the winter but he was 'too proud' to either accept that or register as homeless.
I wonder what his income is spent on.
Why we should be continually subsidising unfortunates I don't know but we do and I'm sure when he reaches the correct points level or at least says thanks for your efforts WBC will find a nice apartment for him.

The article has been penned by Brian Radford which is not within his usual area of expertise, sport, the horses and snooker mainly for the nationals. A bit low key for him I would have thought.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 19 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I'm glad somebody raised this because I thought it was really cynical as well. If you get in touch with RB directly he will tell you there is nothing he can do, it's a council problem. To be fair though he probably will reply. I suspect he has said the same to the charity, then realised that it's going to be in the paper so decided to be a bit more involved in this case. As for the guy himself, he was only in for a couple of years, refused help when he could have had it, and seems to have done very little since. There seems to be a culture in the armed forces of being given everything on a plate, and when it doesn't happen they don't know what to do.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 19 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I think Richard B was being far too nice. Clearly irritated by the first interventionist and then did what he said he'd do, tried to help a homeless individual. I'm not sure he should be involving himself in any of it - he is not a social worker and he is not assocuiated with WBC. The point of contact should be the local Concillor.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Sep 20 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 19 2012, 06:09 PM) *
I think Richard B was being far too nice. Clearly irritated by the first interventionist and then did what he said he'd do, tried to help a homeless individual. I'm not sure he should be involving himself in any of it - he is not a social worker and he is not assocuiated with WBC. The point of contact should be the local Concillor.

Would that be the same councillors who gave away Parkway, costs us a fortune on a library roof, lost the social housing in PW, put down the cobbles in the market place and then refused anyone permission to use it, charges us a fortune for their gas guzzling cars and lied over and over again about CCTV? Ask a local councillor? He would get better advice from the gnome outside his garden shed.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 20 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

I see that the gentleman in question had the rules bent for him and is now whining in the NWN. Although he is happy to have a place he doesn't half make a song and dance about everything else. Good luck to him, but I wonder who now has to wait longer for their place.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 20 2012, 08:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Rather n ice bungalow by all accounts. Homes fit for Hero's indeed.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 20 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 20 2012, 09:41 PM) *
Rather nice bungalow by all accounts. Homes fit for Heroes indeed.

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 20 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 20 2012, 09:44 PM) *
laugh.gif

Sorry - we can't all be perfect tongue.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 20 2012, 09:07 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 20 2012, 09:48 PM) *
Sorry - we can't all be perfect tongue.gif

To be fair, I did find the essence of the joke funny anyway. Hence my fixing the errors so you could do the same! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 22 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Lucky he could afford beans on toast for his son's visit but he is hoping that someone will give him a washing machine. I suspect he would have liked a dishwasher as well but there might not be room in his kitchen. If anyone wants to donate a washing machine can the machine include a dryer.
I wonder why the carpet place fitted new carpets for free. I feel like going round and redecorating for him.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 22 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I hope he does alright and gets himself a job and lives a better life - I don't want to see anyone living in a car, BUT I think the chances of that look slim.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Sep 22 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

The ABF and RBL offer a great deal of support to worthy ex-servicemen/women. I don't see much mention of them in the story.
Just being ex-services does not make the person worthy, let alone a hero.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Sep 24 2012, 10:37 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

I uh, not sure what to make of this one.
Regardless of what anyone's done in the past unless severally physically disabled (like had both his legs and one arm blown off) I don't think anyone deserves special treatment. Fighting in the army is a choice and the debate about whether being in the army makes one a "hero" could go on for a long long time. (and I'm far too lazy for that).

And even then there are plenty of amputees out there who hold down good jobs and pay for their own way. Assuming this guy is perfectly able bodied but for one reason or another earns a poor wage.

Being offered a house even though a short term should have warmed the cockles of his heart but I guess not.

The car it is then. Hope the heater works.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 24 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Must admit I found this whole episode somewhat odd. One also wonders why the employer could not have been asked to help?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:03 PM