> Petrol prices in Newbury
Andy Capp
post Oct 12 2013, 09:47 AM
Post #301

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 12 2013, 10:44 AM) *
None of that applies to petrol however, unless there really are some people so snobbish that they wouldn't be seen filling up at one of the cheaper supermarkets - it could happen.

In fact it does happen; often just after they have left Waitrose! tongue.gif But to be fair to others, people are sceptical of the quality of supermarket fuel, but that is a whole new argument.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 12 2013, 11:18 AM
Post #302

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 12 2013, 10:44 AM) *
None of that applies to petrol however, unless there really are some people so snobbish that they wouldn't be seen filling up at one of the cheaper supermarkets - it could happen.

There is also convenience - I don't buy petrol at Tesco very often because I don't go to Tesco or the retail park very often, whereas I often shop in Sainsburys and hence buy petrol there far more often.

But it is also a little cheaper for me at Sainsburys because I buy it with a Sainsburys credit card and collect extra Nectar points.

Little reasons like this take some overcoming - if ASDA took over Tesco up the hill and sold petrol 5p a litre cheaper then the journey probably would seem worthwhile, if it was 1p difference I can't see myself bothering. Then again, if they opened alongside a road I use regularly a 1p differential probably would encourage me to buy there.

That said I will usually fill up in Reading when I'm there, and will definitely top up before getting on the ferry back from France.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 12 2013, 12:57 PM
Post #303

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 12 2013, 10:32 AM) *
That isn't strictly true, although I'd reverse the logic: the more one charges, the greater expectation that beer is well kept and served in a nicer or more impressive environment; hence price differentiation.

But there is a difference between beer1a and beer1b, notwithstanding all the other reasons I have listed as to why it is quite understandable that pubs will charge different prices.

But the choice was there to decide. Unlike fuel prices in Newbury. Not only that, but the price of drinks is of less importance to customers when deciding where to go for a beer, than for customers deciding where to buy petrol, although I know there are limits. Some people fear using supermarket fuel due to its presumed quality.

Your argument would carry more weight if you were to compare filling stations with off-licence sales, as that is a more like for like comparison; however, I understand alcohol in the local supermarkets is very aggressively priced by most, and the ones that don't perhaps have a more 'esoteric' stock, or are more particular about who shops in their emporium! tongue.gif

I'm actually at a marketing convention right now in Bristol, we have a couple of lads from one of the Big brewers here who have just read this. They have a grin on them from ear to ear. They are talking of printing it out and framing it to hang on the office wall!

PS - they have a request, can we tell them the name of the pub in Newbury who makes their keg beer taste better?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 12 2013, 03:59 PM
Post #304

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

That isn't strictly true, although I'd reverse the logic: the more one charges, the greater expectation that beer is well kept and served in a nicer or more impressive environment; hence price differentiation.

Never had a problem with Whetherspoons - nice place, well kept beer, no music......and cheap prices.....

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 12 2013, 04:31 PM
Post #305

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 12 2013, 04:59 PM) *

Never had a problem with Whetherspoons - nice place, well kept beer, no music......and cheap prices.

Hey Up! We are agreeing again! They do exactly as advertised. Although I only go in one very rarely of course. laugh.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 12 2013, 07:01 PM
Post #306

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 12 2013, 04:59 PM) *
Never had a problem with Whetherspoons - nice place, well kept beer, no music......and cheap prices.....

You obviously didn't go to The Hatchet last Monday intending to have lunch, then. It was packed, together with loads of screaming kids. Walked out and went to Ask instead. Perhaps it's better in the evenings.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 12 2013, 07:19 PM
Post #307

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Capitalism ...Part 2.
Even if it is cheaper to use establishment 1, you are able to choose to use establishment 2.

Not so with Great Patriotic Fuel Factory 1
Or even Public (Long March) Food Hall 1
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 12 2013, 07:30 PM
Post #308

Advanced Member

I have always admired Weatherspoons. They take on odd buildings,fill them with information about the area
and provide a fairly enjoyable experience.
There is an old Cinema on Holloway Road, perfect after visiting Mum!

An Art Deco interior of a Trade Union HQ. Sogat
That one is open for coffee and other refreshment from 09.30.
Perfect for 100s of kilt wearing folk on a stop on the way to Arsenal.

They are also one of only a few that allow working clothes wearers, even if they only buy a coffee.
And patrons of an older era. I seem to fit in quite well wherever, whatever, innit smile.gif
ce

+Quote Post
motormad
post Oct 12 2013, 08:24 PM
Post #309

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

138.9 for Ultimate tonight. laugh.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 13 2013, 08:32 AM
Post #310

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 12 2013, 12:18 PM) *
if ASDA took over Tesco up the hill and sold petrol 5p a litre cheaper

..................then Sainsburys would follow suite.
That's the whole issue!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 13 2013, 12:04 PM
Post #311

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 12 2013, 08:01 PM) *
You obviously didn't go to The Hatchet last Monday intending to have lunch, then. It was packed, together with loads of screaming kids. Walked out and went to Ask instead. Perhaps it's better in the evenings.

Two things jump out from that statement.

1). you left your 1st choice, a pub, having decided you didn't like the current clientele & your 2nd was a chain restaurant, despite there being several other pubs in the area.

2). The spoons was full on a Monday lunchtime......

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 13 2013, 01:49 PM
Post #312

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 13 2013, 01:04 PM) *
Two things jump out from that statement.

1). you left your 1st choice, a pub, having decided you didn't like the current clientele & your 2nd was a chain restaurant, despite there being several other pubs in the area.

2). The spoons was full on a Monday lunchtime......

Not sure what your point is. I had family visiting and because most pubs don't do food on a Monday (because it's too quiet!!), and someone had recommended The Hatchet as a good place to eat, I decided to take them there expecting it to be reasonably quiet and not too busy. I took them across to Ask because I've eaten there before and I know the food is good. It was also much, much quieter and you could actually see.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 13 2013, 01:50 PM
Post #313

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 13 2013, 02:49 PM) *
Not sure what your point is. I had family visiting and because most pubs don't do food on a Monday (because it's too quiet!!), and someone had recommended The Hatchet as a good place to eat, I decided to take them there expecting it to be reasonably quiet and not too busy. I took them across to Ask because I've eaten there before and I know the food is good. It was also much, much quieter and you could actually see.

It was more to Andy Capp who was claiming that some pubs charge more because they are nicer.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 13 2013, 02:57 PM
Post #314

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 12 2013, 01:57 PM) *
I'm actually at a marketing convention right now in Bristol, we have a couple of lads from one of the Big brewers here who have just read this. They have a grin on them from ear to ear. They are talking of printing it out and framing it to hang on the office wall!

PS - they have a request, can we tell them the name of the pub in Newbury who makes their keg beer taste better?

I can tell you pubs that make it taste worse if you like? rolleyes.gif

Rather than come up with this rubbish, why don't/can't you refute my argument? huh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 13 2013, 03:05 PM
Post #315

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 13 2013, 02:50 PM) *
It was more to Andy Capp who was claiming that some pubs charge more because they are nicer.

Just in case any one has comprehension problems like dannytroll, I actually said that pubs might invest more in their environment and then might pass that cost on. What dannytroll said above is his strawman fallacy. However, at least it deflects from the OP! wink.gif

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Oct 13 2013, 03:23 PM
Post #316

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

Didn't one of the Councillors try to start a boycott? What happened to that?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 13 2013, 03:31 PM
Post #317

Advanced Member

QUOTE (The Hatter @ Oct 13 2013, 04:23 PM) *
Didn't one of the Councillors try to start a boycott? What happened to that?

Everyone boycotted it! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 13 2013, 03:40 PM
Post #318

Advanced Member

Everyone boycotted it! ..... biggrin.gif
OOOh that was quick,
ce

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 18 2013, 02:14 PM
Post #319

Advanced Member

The AA says petrol prices have recorded their biggest fall since 2008, taking the average cost to 132.16p a litre.

+Quote Post
theone09
post Nov 2 2013, 10:17 AM
Post #320

Advanced Member

Member No.: 341

Just to let people know, Sainsbury's price has gone down again, second time this week!

Unleaded 127.9
Super 132.9
Diesel 134.9

While Tesco put theirs UP by 1p!

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:53 PM