> Petrol prices in Newbury
dannyboy
post Oct 11 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #281

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 11 2013, 02:47 PM) *
Fuel stations pretty much offer the the same facilities whereever you go; with beer, the 'landlord' may, or may not invest more in the business than a filling station. This might be entertainment, facilities, more exclusive products, wider variation in local rental price (rent tending to be more expensive in the town centre than the suburbs where you are more likely to find filling stations).

That is an easy bet to make under the current circumstances.

rolleyes.gif

it is an easy bet.

Sainsbury's are only 1.2p a litre off Asda's prices. On a 60 litre fill up that's £0.72. The calls for 'Newbury needs a fuel discounter now' are unfounded. I say there would be no change. ( other than being able to buy George clothing of course ).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 11 2013, 01:58 PM
Post #282

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 11 2013, 02:56 PM) *
huh.gif WTFAYOA?

My point is quite simply that with selling beer, there can be more reasons for why beer has a wider price variation than filling stations.

I must admit, I couldn't see any other reasons as to why beer has wider variations either.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 11 2013, 01:59 PM
Post #283

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 11 2013, 02:56 PM) *
huh.gif WTFAYOA?

My point is quite simply that with selling beer, there can be more reasons for why beer has a wider price variation than filling stations.

There could be more reasons, but thats isn't actually borne out. Fullers charge what they do in Newbury simply because they know that can get away with it.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 11 2013, 02:03 PM
Post #284

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 11 2013, 02:55 PM) *
The argument is about fractions of a penny after all.

It can be a matter of only a fraction of a pence, but it can be much wider too.

Using public transport makes you no less independent, after all as a car driver you are at the mercy of the fuel companies and the maintenance firms.

You don't live in Newbury, do you? Public transport in London is a viable option, but not necessarily in towns like Newbury; as we all have gas-guzzling 4x4s, public transport is rather patchy! tongue.gif

If a train breaks down with serious mechanical problems, there is likely to be another. All the time we live in a capitalist democracy you are likely to see difference. If it were all the same, you'd likely have to fill your Trabant at the State fuel station.

Sorry, I don't really see the point you are trying to make. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 11 2013, 02:04 PM
Post #285

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 11 2013, 02:59 PM) *
There could be more reasons, but thats isn't actually borne out. Fullers charge what they do in Newbury simply because they know that can get away with it.

Yes, like Tesco et al. with their fuel. IN other towns with a more competitive supplier base, they wouldn't .. maybe?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 11 2013, 02:06 PM
Post #286

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 11 2013, 02:57 PM) *
it is an easy bet.

Sainsbury's are only 1.2p a litre off Asda's prices. On a 60 litre fill up that's £0.72. The calls for 'Newbury needs a fuel discounter now' are unfounded. I say there would be no change. ( other than being able to buy George clothing of course ).

You arguments are getting more and more churlish. This is the case today, but the gap has been much wider too. Perhaps the fuel barons in their ivory supermarket towers have been reading this thread! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 11 2013, 02:11 PM
Post #287

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 11 2013, 02:58 PM) *
I must admit, I couldn't see any other reasons as to why beer has wider variations either.

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 11 2013, 02:47 PM) *
Fuel stations pretty much offer the the same facilities whereever you go; with beer, the 'landlord' may, or may not invest more in the business than a filling station. This might be entertainment, facilities, more exclusive products, wider variation in local rental price (rent tending to be more expensive in the town centre than the suburbs where you are more likely to find filling stations).

And some landlords might make their prices more expensive to simply repel the 'undesirables'. I doubt filling stations care who they serve so long as they pay. Comparing the two industries is daft and I'm surprised you and 'dannyrandompost' would even use the two as examples.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 11 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #288

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 11 2013, 03:06 PM) *
You arguments are getting more and more churlish. This is the case today, but the gap has been much wider too. Perhaps the fuel barons in their ivory supermarket towers have been reading this thread! tongue.gif

Churlish? I thought that was a pre-requsite of this forum.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 11 2013, 02:19 PM
Post #289

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 11 2013, 03:16 PM) *
Churlish? I thought that was a pre-requsite of this forum.

That explains a lot! tongue.gif

What I mean is, you are not a daft person, but some of your arguments are intellectually of a lower standard than I would expect from you! wink.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 11 2013, 02:20 PM
Post #290

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 11 2013, 03:04 PM) *
Yes, like Tesco et al. with their fuel. IN other towns with a more competitive supplier base, they wouldn't .. maybe?

I don't believe that either Tesco or Sainsbury would match Asda if there was one in Newbury.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 11 2013, 02:21 PM
Post #291

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 11 2013, 03:19 PM) *
That explains a lot! tongue.gif

What I mean is, you are not a daft person, but some of your arguments are intellectually of a lower standard than I would expect from you! wink.gif

Look I started my new job with Tesco yesterday & I'm having to actually cioncentrate for a change.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 11 2013, 02:59 PM
Post #292

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 11 2013, 03:21 PM) *
Look I started my new job with Tesco yesterday & I'm having to actually cioncentrate for a change.

Good point!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 11 2013, 04:09 PM
Post #293

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 11 2013, 03:21 PM) *

Does that mean I won't see you at the job centre next week?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 11 2013, 04:12 PM
Post #294

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 11 2013, 05:09 PM) *
Does that mean I won't see you at the job centre next week?

So long as I can remember to get up each morning & don't get sacked - I'm afraid I won't.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 11 2013, 04:16 PM
Post #295

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 11 2013, 03:11 PM) *
And some landlords might make their prices more expensive to simply repel the 'undesirables'. I doubt filling stations care who they serve so long as they pay. Comparing the two industries is daft and I'm surprised you and 'dannyrandompost' would even use the two as examples.

Strange as it might be, in some rural areas, garages have a similar pricing policy. One I'm very familiar with in North Scotland charges an exorbitant rate for passing trade, simply because he needs to conserve supplies for locals.

The comparison is a good one, if you look at it in simple market / product terms. A brand of keg beer is an undifferentiated product, just like a brand of petrol. Whatever pub it gets sold in makes no real difference. So the question is the same - why significant differences between towns.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 11 2013, 10:57 PM
Post #296

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 11 2013, 05:16 PM) *
Strange as it might be, in some rural areas, garages have a similar pricing policy. One I'm very familiar with in North Scotland charges an exorbitant rate for passing trade, simply because he needs to conserve supplies for locals.

The comparison is a good one, if you look at it in simple market / product terms. A brand of keg beer is an undifferentiated product, just like a brand of petrol. Whatever pub it gets sold in makes no real difference. So the question is the same - why significant differences between towns.

How does this point relate to the differentiation in Newbury petrol (or any other automotive fuel) prices with adjacent towns? Is discrimination likely to be a reason for a difference in price for fuel in Newbury and Swindon? I doubt it, and this is one reason why I think the beer analogy is specious.

In any case, your assertion that "A brand of keg beer is an undifferentiated product" is not true. There are a number of reasons why beer can be a different price without it simply being about supply and demand.

So! If we are to continue with this squabble, can you produce any proof that the price of fuel in Newbury would be no more competitive if we had a recognise fuel discounter in town? If not, I have nothing more worthwhile to add to this argument.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 12 2013, 07:16 AM
Post #297

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 11 2013, 11:57 PM) *
How does this point relate to the differentiation in Newbury petrol (or any other automotive fuel) prices with adjacent towns? Is discrimination likely to be a reason for a difference in price for fuel in Newbury and Swindon? I doubt it, and this is one reason why I think the beer analogy is specious.

In any case, your assertion that "A brand of keg beer is an undifferentiated product" is not true. There are a number of reasons why beer can be a different price without it simply being about supply and demand.

So! If we are to continue with this squabble, can you produce any proof that the price of fuel in Newbury would be no more competitive if we had a recognise fuel discounter in town? If not, I have nothing more worthwhile to add to this argument.

Beer does not change in taste or quality because the price changes. There is no difference between the beer in Pub A who charge £y per pint or Pub B who charge £x - hence undifferentiated. Of course, if another player comes on the scene and charges less, the effect will be to drive prices down. Weatherspoon being a good example. However, when the started trading not all the local pubs changed their price.

So, I'd wholly agree, at this moment in time, with Asda in the district you would be able to get cheap petrol, that does not necessarily mean the other providers would follow suit. With rock bottom prices, there will be an effect on profit, so in many circumstances the other players may well be quite content to let the discounter take the loss, which could, of course, eventually drive them out of business.

As for Regulation, I think you'll find this is how the UK's existing industry regulators see a market working - so they wouldn't do anything to hinder what is happening now.

In fact, in the electricity industry, the 'big 6' all charge near enough the same price and are significantly increasing them. As the Regulator can do nothing about that (not being a Russian Gas provider) they are trying to grow some more competition - but only by removing a new entrant's obligation to pay the green levies. In other words, giving some players a subsidy.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 12 2013, 09:32 AM
Post #298

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 12 2013, 08:16 AM) *
Beer does not change in taste or quality because the price changes.

That isn't strictly true, although I'd reverse the logic: the more one charges, the greater expectation that beer is well kept and served in a nicer or more impressive environment; hence price differentiation.

There is no difference between the beer in Pub A who charge £y per pint or Pub B who charge £x - hence undifferentiated.

But there is a difference between beer1a and beer1b, notwithstanding all the other reasons I have listed as to why it is quite understandable that pubs will charge different prices.

Of course, if another player comes on the scene and charges less, the effect will be to drive prices down. Weatherspoon being a good example. However, when the started trading not all the local pubs changed their price.

But the choice was there to decide. Unlike fuel prices in Newbury. Not only that, but the price of drinks is of less importance to customers when deciding where to go for a beer, than for customers deciding where to buy petrol, although I know there are limits. Some people fear using supermarket fuel due to its presumed quality.

Your argument would carry more weight if you were to compare filling stations with off-licence sales, as that is a more like for like comparison; however, I understand alcohol in the local supermarkets is very aggressively priced by most, and the ones that don't perhaps have a more 'esoteric' stock, or are more particular about who shops in their emporium! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 12 2013, 09:44 AM
Post #299

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 12 2013, 10:32 AM) *
That isn't strictly true, although I'd reverse the logic: the more one charges, the greater expectation that beer is well kept buy a better cellarman, and served in a nicer, or more impressive environment; hence price differentiation.

I agree. The same beer does taste different in different pubs which must be down to how well it is kept, but you're also paying for the vibe and ambiance of the pub you're drinking in and that's worth an awful lot.

None of that applies to petrol however, unless there really are some people so snobbish that they wouldn't be seen filling up at one of the cheaper supermarkets - it could happen.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 12 2013, 09:45 AM
Post #300

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 12 2013, 10:44 AM) *
I agree. The same beer does taste different in different pubs which must be down to how well it is kept, but you're also paying for the vibe and ambiance of the pub you're drinking in and that's worth an awful lot.

None of that applies to petrol however, unless there really are some people so snobbish that they wouldn't be seen filling up at one of the cheaper supermarkets - it could happen.

That is exaclty my argument and why I think comparing the price of beer in pubs with the price of petrol at the pump is specious. There are some similarities, but there are some big differences in the commercial model too.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:46 PM