Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So the police try to catch out young drivers
random_user
post May 14 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

From the article "Insp Whitaker said the number of resident complaints about the teenagers had fallen dramatically after police launched an operation last month to catch out young drivers with illegal vehicles."

Why should the police need to 'catch out' these kids? If anyone, of any age, is driving an illegal or unlicensed vehicle or committing a driving offense then the police should act accordingly but using the phrase "catch out" lends a lot of credence to the claim that the police are unnecessarily victimising and hassling this group just waiting for the slightest infringement to pounce on.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post May 14 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (random_user @ May 14 2009, 09:19 AM) *
From the article "Insp Whitaker said the number of resident complaints about the teenagers had fallen dramatically after police launched an operation last month to catch out young drivers with illegal vehicles."

Why should the police need to 'catch out' these kids? If anyone, of any age, is driving an illegal or unlicensed vehicle or committing a driving offense then the police should act accordingly but using the phrase "catch out" lends a lot of credence to the claim that the police are unnecessarily victimising and hassling this group just waiting for the slightest infringement to pounce on.

Have you seen the police sitting by the side of the road using some kind of gizmo to scan tax discs as motors pass by? Now, those plonkers without tax discs are most certainly the ones I'd like to see 'caught out' as it often follows they also forget to insure or MoT their cars as well. Generally, kids are proud of their cars and they are taxed and insured, albeit at an eyewatering premium.

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post May 14 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

I dont know if this is relevant to your comment about gizmo's to scan for tax on drivers but has anyone noticed those new installed cameras in the middle of the roundabout next to St.John's post office, each camera facing every direction. If you look at the cameras, they have a red dot in the middle of them. I'm sure they check to see if you are road legal.

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post May 14 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

If you have a V50 doco for your car and you don't renew your tax disc you don't have to wait to be pulled up by plod on the road they will fine you automatically from Swansea, as their database knows your vehicle is overdue.

What I would quite like to see is the police fine some of these drivers for crimes against style as some of these chav'd up motors are just plain awful wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post May 14 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gumbo @ May 14 2009, 12:29 PM) *
If you have a V50 doco for your car and you don't renew your tax disc you don't have to wait to be pulled up by plod on the road they will fine you automatically from Swansea, as their database knows your vehicle is overdue.

What I would quite like to see is the police fine some of these drivers for crimes against style as some of these chav'd up motors are just plain awful wink.gif

Presume the penalties much worse if they actually catch you on the road, rather than just the penalty for failing to declare SORN? When it comes to fines, let's extend it to people driving immaculate 4x4s that never go off road and also foreign made cars festooned with the flags of St George, their drivers seemingly unaware of the irony of putting them on, say, VW Golfs - a lot of English involvement in making those....

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post May 14 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ May 14 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Presume the penalties much worse if they actually catch you on the road, rather than just the penalty for failing to declare SORN? When it comes to fines, let's extend it to people driving immaculate 4x4s that never go off road and also foreign made cars festooned with the flags of St George, their drivers seemingly unaware of the irony of putting them on, say, VW Golfs - a lot of English involvement in making those....

So what you are saying then is that only one or two cars should have the flag of St George on e.g. a Noble or a Morgan **insert other very small English car making company in here**.

It is sad to think that this country cannot run a successful car company. Weird that Italy, France and Germany can do it. Who is to blame? Unions? Government? Workers? Management? all of the above?

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post May 14 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gumbo @ May 14 2009, 01:34 PM) *
So what you are saying then is that only one or two cars should have the flag of St George on e.g. a Noble or a Morgan **insert other very small English car making company in her**.

It is sad to think that this country cannot run a successful car company. Weird that Italy, France and Germany can do it. Who is to blame? Unions? Government? Workers? Management? all of the above?

Logically, yes - perhaps you are too young to remember when large car manufacturers such as Austin and Standard actually incorporated the Union Flag in their motifs. As for driving a modern car - if you must go for sticking flags on them to denote how really English you are, then at least drive a car that was made here by Brits- like the good old native marques of Honda and Toyota lol.
As for who is to blame for there no longer being a large scale British owned motor industry, undoubtedly a combination of all those you mention plus one you don't - the population. Next time you go to France just look and see the number of, unsurprisingly perhaps, French cars on the roads. Can't really say they stand out as great motors in my mind but perhaps the French are more patriotic and do like to buy and drive French.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post May 14 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I agree with you on the patriotic front and It is not just the French who are patriotic, if you go to Italy and Germany you will find that in the majority they tend to buy their own marques, even if you go to the Czech Republic you will see that they buy Skodas by the bucket load (even though they are just repackaged VW's nowadays!). The thing is I think we were patriotic and then it got to the point where we said enough is enough and went elsewhere in our droves to buy cars that were better than the Allegro, Princess, Metro, Montego, Maxi, Maestro etc etc. It is a shame that the decent brands like Jaguar & Range Rover were never kept in this country but I guess if they were they would have rotted away.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post May 14 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gumbo @ May 14 2009, 02:41 PM) *
I agree with you on the patriotic front and It is not just the French who are patriotic, if you go to Italy and Germany you will find that in the majority they tend to buy their own marques, even if you go to the Czech Republic you will see that they buy Skodas by the bucket load (even though they are just repackaged VW's nowadays!). The thing is I think we were patriotic and then it got to the point where we said enough is enough and went elsewhere in our droves to buy cars that were better than the Allegro, Princess, Metro, Montego, Maxi, Maestro etc etc. It is a shame that the decent brands like Jaguar & Range Rover were never kept in this country but I guess if they were they would have rotted away.

Odd you should mention the motor industry, Gumbo, but we were talking at work about it some time ago and one of the really old hands there assured us that there used to be active collusion when he worked in a car factory between management and shop stewards. For example, if the management had a problem with supplies of materials or parts that would affect the production line, then they would have a word with the shop stewards and ask them to create a strike. Some minor grieviance was then blown up out of all proportion and a strike resulted. This meant the production line shut down for a few days whilst the artificially contrived strike was settled, by which time the supply of parts would have resumed. I was a little shocked to hear this, perhaps I am a little naive and hope it is not true, but if it is then it's a terrible indictment of the way things were. As regards the cars you mention, yes, there were some shockers but so were the products of, say, Fiat. Walked by the Sorting Office in Newbury today and saw a Royal Mail Fiat van. Says it all, really sad.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 14 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

The French have 'incentives' to persuade French people to buy French cars. Plus wheras in the UK we don't chuck billions of £ at car makers, the Continentals prop up their partly state owned car makers with massive subsidies paid for by the tax payer.

here in the UK we have one of the biggest choices of makes available to us as buyers & we don't even drive on the same side of the road - meaning that the makers have to adapt their cars to suit us, apart from the Japanese [ who drive the same as we do, on the L ]

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 15 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

One name springs to mind for killing the UK car industry.

Derek 'Red Robbo' Robinson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Robbo

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 15 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

To be honest I think the police know who they are and just using such terms to give the impression they are actually doing something. They keep saying they need proof; but 9 times out of 10 they've got it but never act on it.

The community centre in Turnpike had its lamp knocked over; the police know who did it, but have no proof, they say; actually they do have proof but know it is a waste of time taking anybody to court as all they get is a ticking off.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post May 15 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 14 2009, 08:33 PM) *
The French have 'incentives' to persuade French people to buy French cars. Plus wheras in the UK we don't chuck billions of £ at car makers, the Continentals prop up their partly state owned car makers with massive subsidies paid for by the tax payer.

And that is despite the EU competition laws? Tut, tut - not that the government here ever chucked money at car makers, oh dearie me, no laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 16 2009, 03:13 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

There is only one country in the EU that follws EU law & thats us.
The French would never let Renault of Peugot go the same way as Rover.....

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post May 17 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 16 2009, 04:13 PM) *
The French would never let Renault of Peugot go the same way as Rover.....

Presume you include the people of France in that, too?

As I said before, patriotism comes in to this, it's just we didn't have much when it came to buying Rovers towards the end, although they are good cars in my experience, unlike like the Maestros and Rover SD1s I have owned. As for LDV vans, to my shame I was unaware that they were still making them until they got into financial difficulties. If you recall, Royal Mail were very fond of their predecessors.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:53 PM