Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another car 'bollarded', Oops
Strafin
post May 11 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

I think most people accept that they rise up under the car unless you are completely over them before they ascend.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 11 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 11 2010, 09:04 PM) *
I think most people accept that they rise up under the car unless you are completely over them before they ascend.

Eh? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 11 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Go-on biker...'it 'im. You know how much this issue means to you! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 11 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

What I mean by that is of course that they don't stop ascending until they're hit, but according to Biker, they won't start to rise unless there is nothing above them, right?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post May 12 2010, 03:04 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 11 2010, 10:12 PM) *
What I mean by that is of course that they don't stop ascending until they're hit, but according to Biker, they won't start to rise unless there is nothing above them, right?

Any new system that is installed should have a design specification. I doubt it exists on a council website though. Anyone have access?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 12 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 11 2010, 09:43 PM) *
Go-on biker...'it 'im. You know how much this issue means to you! tongue.gif

Rather than continuously repeat myself I draw your attention to the posts here particularly post 28.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 12 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ May 12 2010, 04:04 AM) *
Any new system that is installed should have a design specification. I doubt it exists on a council website though. Anyone have access?

Read paragraph 2 here

I'm not giving up Iommi! wink.gif

(Has anybody tried the pushbike test yet?)

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 12 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

The thing is, whether the bollards rise up and hit the car, or the car rolls over party descending, but protruding bollards, still results in the same outcome. When the driver starts to drive off, the bollards are not in view to the driver...then WHAM!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 12 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 12 2010, 12:10 PM) *
The thing is, whether the bollards rise up and hit the car, or the car rolls over party descending, but protruding bollards, still results in the same outcome. When the drive starts to drive off, the bollards are not in view to the driver...then WHAM!

Yes that's right they have not fully descended and are probably out of sight to the driver when the impact occurs.

How many red & white signs and chicanes do you have to install before it becomes foolproof?

I don't think they ever will.

Perhaps to safeguard even the most unobservant of drivers another system needs to be introduced until full pedestrianisation with the buses being routed via Parkway.

(I presume this is what is happening and the bollards will then cease to be an issue?)

04:04 am x2lls! are you a shift worker or just an insomniac? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 12 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 12 2010, 12:10 PM) *
The thing is, whether the bollards rise up and hit the car, or the car rolls over party descending, but protruding bollards, still results in the same outcome. When the driver starts to drive off, the bollards are not in view to the driver...then WHAM!

If they have driven over the bollards apparently nothing at all was in view to the driver. Not the 6ft notices or the warnings all the way along the approach.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 12 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 12 2010, 02:26 PM) *
If they have driven over the bollards apparently nothing at all was in view to the driver. Not the 6ft notices or the warnings all the way along the approach.

You've lost me, would you re-word this so I can understand what you mean?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 12 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 12 2010, 02:26 PM) *

Yes, that is probably right.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 12 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 12 2010, 03:25 PM) *
You've lost me, would you re-word this so I can understand what you mean?

Sorry you dont understand. Reworded - they didn't see the bollards, they didn't see the notices, they didn't see the signs - in fact they didn't see very much at all.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 12 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Ah right, I wasn't actually defending them, only trying to describe how bollards can appear to rise-up and 'impale cars' because one minute there's just a road, then the next minute, the car loses a couple of drive shafts.

I think, however, sign posts in busy areas are a poor form of traffic control. There is often too much to take in for the stranger and one only usually takes notice of what's directly in front of them, or if you are a female driving in a shopping environment, virtually everything bar what's in front of you biggrin.gif .

+Quote Post
x2lls
post May 12 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 12 2010, 12:17 PM) *
04:04 am x2lls! are you a shift worker or just an insomniac? wink.gif

Not shift but do standby ( I'm a database administrator), and sometimes stay up very late.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jun 14 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Looks like someone performed a car -v- bollard test in Bartholomew St today.

Going by the recovery wagon and the mess on the road, the car lost.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 14 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Nothing much on the Wharf St bollards recently, but it still seems (despite even MORE signs going up, with low level warnings for drivers) that Bartholomew St attracts the lemmings in their motor vehicles.....

+Quote Post
misc
post Jun 15 2010, 07:38 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 729

I saw a car almost hit a bollard on the way into the Council Offices the other day. One car had gone through, the bollard started to rise and a following car continued towards it obliviously until a security person jumped out in front and shouted at the driver. She stopped with inches to spare...

+Quote Post
Ben01635
post Jun 15 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 270

Hi All,

Been following this debate for a while now and thought I'd chip in my two cents! - Although I agree that drivers are probably not paying the attention they should, I don't think the signage is quite right. The way I see it, and particualry at the Kennet Centre end of town, there are no signs for No Motorised Vehicle Access, or at least not directly before the bolllards (the one with the motrobike over the car). I think the problem is that the plentiful warning signs, and I agree there are many of them, aren't proper road signs and I think this is why they are overlooked by motorists that are not familiar with the area. The old no vehicle access sign should be recognised by all motorists and is a clear indication to stop and think, rather than just the red background rectangular signs which a motorist may overlook. - The 'correct' signage is at the McDonalds end of town, directly before the bollards, so why not at the Kennet Centre end with similar positioning?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 15 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

The problem is, I feel, is a number of things that come together. It is at a junction that has two rights of way according to the time of day. The signage is plentiful, possibly to distraction. Rising bollards are not common throughout the district. Drivers who think they can beat them. People unfamiliar with the road layout.

I don't think it is any one thing, although the motorist is ultimately responsible.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:45 PM