> House of Commons / Lords, Defecit Reduction
blackdog
post Nov 5 2015, 09:53 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE (x2lls @ Nov 5 2015, 09:48 PM) *
OH FFS, this forum is so toddler based. I got censored on the word T W A T.

Probably because the forum knows what it means.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
newres
post Nov 6 2015, 06:22 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (x2lls @ Nov 5 2015, 09:48 PM) *
OH FFS, this forum is so toddler based. I got censored on the word T W A T.

Moderated i'd call it rather than censored. Personally I prefer moderated forums. The word you used us not very different to the "c" word in mu opinion. Many forums ban FFS. I personally hate those Facebook threads full of morons swearing and am glad this forum is different. Even though I'm an irregular.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Nov 6 2015, 11:19 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Where would David Gilmour's son..demonstrate? Chipping Sodbury?
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Nov 6 2015, 11:21 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Maybe that will work rolleyes.gif
ce

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 6 2015, 01:57 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (newres @ Nov 6 2015, 06:22 AM) *
Moderated i'd call it rather than censored. Personally I prefer moderated forums. The word you used us not very different to the "c" word in mu opinion. Many forums ban FFS. I personally hate those Facebook threads full of morons swearing and am glad this forum is different. Even though I'm an irregular.

I see tw@t and prat as pretty much equivalent in strength of insult, with tw@t being the milder if anything, and neither being very much stronger than twit - something like a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being numptie say, and 10 the 'c'-word. I have no objection in principle to profanity or insults but as with any cliche it can come over as weak writing and alienate the reader if it's not inventive and satirical.

I'd also use tw@t to mean smack, which I don't think North Americans understand but is perfectly acceptable British English.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 6 2015, 01:58 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Nov 6 2015, 11:19 AM) *
Where would David Gilmour's son..demonstrate? Chipping Sodbury?
ce

S****horpe?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 6 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Nov 6 2015, 01:57 PM) *
I see tw@t and prat as pretty much equivalent in strength of insult, with tw@t being the milder if anything, and neither being very much stronger than twit - something like a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being numptie say, and 10 the 'c'-word. I have no objection in principle to profanity or insults but as with any cliche it can come over as weak writing and alienate the reader if it's not inventive and satirical.

I'd also use tw@t to mean smack, which I don't think North Americans understand but is perfectly acceptable British English.

Like a lot of things, I think the emphasis is on what people mean, rather than the words they use.

I have been blasted for using the other 'T' word, an expression which I see as being barely playground offensive, but others 'decided' to be deeply offended by it. However, the offence was the belief I was bulling.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 6 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Interesting, fashions come and go. At one time, as those of us of a certain age will well remember, f*** was absolutely forbidden, now any poor comedian who wants to enhance reputation just precedes every sentence with it! Emblazoned and illuminated on petrol pumps in pre war years. Pratts perfection spirit, the precursor to Esso. Don't times change. Still, better not think of giving anyone a box of chocolate numpties this Christmas.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 7 2015, 08:53 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 2 2015, 05:41 PM) *
I have a cunning plan.

Let's demolish the Houses of Parliament.

£5.7 Billion to repair it. No thanks.
Demolish it.

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 2 2015, 10:47 PM) *
I doubt a developer could make profit in the middle of London. Well, not the developers from around here any way.

It would be a bit like the Sterling Cable site. So many dirty deals taking place on the same site for centuries - with the real filth being dealt in the last few decades - that it's a piece of contaminated land and a developer would need to spend a fortune to get rid of the stink..... dry.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 7 2015, 10:02 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 6 2015, 09:11 PM) *
Interesting, fashions come and go. At one time, as those of us of a certain age will well remember, f*** was absolutely forbidden, now any poor comedian who wants to enhance reputation just precedes every sentence with it!

Swear words and what is acceptable language changes from time to time. I used to hate the adults who thought it acceptable to be walking along with their kids in tow and the lot of them wearing t-shirts or sweatshirts emblazoned with the FCUK logo in bold letters and seem to think nothing of the sensitivities of any dyslexic passers by.... or people like me who might snap their necks as we did a quick double take when we thought we saw sweet angelic toddlers with the 'F word on their tops... It was a while before my kids pointed out it was French Connection UK.... yeah, right..... rolleyes.gif

In a bid to expose the hypocrisy I bought a t-shirt from the company which deliberately parodied the open use of that corporate logo and at the same time celebrated part of our shared European monarchical past... The Danish King Cnut who tried to hold back the tide has a whole website of clothing to celebrate his legacy kingcnut.com

(The guy who set up the clothing brand is local comedian Dave Griffiths... Nice piece in The Independent on how he got one over on French Connection with his French CoRREction cnut t-shirts linky thing)

Trouble is, in the end I wasn't as brave as the FCUK types to wear it in public.... or perhaps I was considering the dyslexics.... biggrin.gif

The 'N' word is another... It was alright for the squadron mascot of The Dambusters to be called it in the 40s but apparently that part of our history will be re-written when they do a remake of the film... the dog will instead be 'Digger'... Don't want to offend now do we.....(although at the MOBO Awards ceremony thing the other night - which was publicly broadcast - I'll bet every Rap & Crap 'artist' present couldn't string a sentence together without liberal use of the word "niggaz..".... alright for them innit... If any 'ethnic' used the word 'honky' towards me I'd think it was something to with the way I smell... biggrin.gif )

(Apologies for the thread drift.....) laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:12 PM