Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Police patrols...
Brad
post Aug 23 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 954

I actually can't remember the last time i saw a policeman, a real policeman not these so called "community support officers". A few weeks ago walking to town from the big tesco's and you walk down the path along side the a339 link road and over the little bridge, I got a bottle swung at me (luckily i avoided this as it was a full on swing) and then got punched in the face, I didn't even look at the guys let alone in the wrong way.

I was just thinking to myself that maybe the complete lack of police presence could be the reason people don't even care about punishment as they know they will get away with it. Did I report this? No. I knew they wouldn't find the neandathol responsable and would have just wasted my time, neverthless I didn't let it stop me having a good night!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 23 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

If people don't report, how are the police going to know about it unless it is witnessed? This is half the problem.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 23 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

It's important that things like this are reported and logged, whether or not you expect action to be taken, otherwise the powers-that-be can sit complacently in their ivory towers and claim that crime is down.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Aug 23 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Brad @ Aug 23 2010, 11:34 AM) *
I actually can't remember the last time i saw a policeman, a real policeman not these so called "community support officers". A few weeks ago walking to town from the big tesco's and you walk down the path along side the a339 link road and over the little bridge, I got a bottle swung at me (luckily i avoided this as it was a full on swing) and then got punched in the face, I didn't even look at the guys let alone in the wrong way.

I was just thinking to myself that maybe the complete lack of police presence could be the reason people don't even care about punishment as they know they will get away with it. Did I report this? No. I knew they wouldn't find the neandathol responsable and would have just wasted my time, neverthless I didn't let it stop me having a good night!

Police may not have caught them in this instance, but they may catch them doing it to someone else. Your evidence can then send them down as repeat offenders. Also, if not reported, Police are unaware there may be a problem in that particular area.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 24 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Aug 23 2010, 07:29 PM) *
Police may not have caught them in this instance, but they may catch them doing it to someone else. Your evidence can then send them down as repeat offenders. Also, if not reported, Police are unaware there may be a problem in that particular area.

It is important that these incidents are reported to the police if only to ensure that the figure for crime are recorded accurately so that the real situation is appreciated however you do have to wonder if it is worth while when it seems that criminals can literally commit hundreds of crimes before being sent to prison. Some are even given accomodation to help to persuade them to give up crime.
What a crazy world.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 24 2010, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 23 2010, 12:15 PM) *
If people don't report, how are the police going to know about it unless it is witnessed? This is half the problem.

But when they do report things people expect action. Not just for the police to fill out their score sheet.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 24 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 24 2010, 05:42 PM) *
But when they do report things people expect action. Not just for the police to fill out their score sheet.

People expect a lot of things, but the fact remains: if it isn't reported, witnessed, or on camera, then the police haven't a chance.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 24 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 24 2010, 07:03 PM) *
People expect a lot of things, but the fact remains: if it isn't reported, witnessed, or on camera, then the police haven't a chance.

Think that's a very reasonable deduction Iommi. However, sometimes the pure street theatre of Police walking about acts as a deterrent and also as a visible safeguard for those paying the bill. To be honest - it would be very worth while even employing a few pensioner Police simply to walk round in uniform. If it did nothing else, it would boost public confidence no end - something adverts, straplines, 'community action days' have so far failed to do.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 24 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 24 2010, 07:03 PM) *

That is a fair point (to a point), however, it is when they have been 'witnessed' & 'on camera' and they still walk around, which is my concern. I know - for a fact - where kids on Turnpike estate have actually confessed, and confessed, and confessed and are still walking around and still committing crimes. In fact all the crimes i've reported the police have got a confession. But in their wisdom they thought it would be better to give them a warning and not take it further. In one case I know about where kids smashed a window the police didn't want to prosecute a 16 year old because it would give them a record and damage their chances in the future. That kid now believes he is untouchable and continue where he left off.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Aug 24 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

It is tragic that this is happening in Newbury, but not surprising. It's an easy equation - more coppers on the beat the more chance of the incidents being stopped. At the moment crimes are committed because the chance of a copper "happening by" are pretty much zero. If we had police on the beat crimes like these would fall simply because an officer could walk around the corner at any minute - just like it used to be.

Sometimes the easiest and simplest solution is the most effective.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 24 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Aug 24 2010, 08:30 PM) *
It is tragic that this is happening in Newbury, but not surprising. It's an easy equation - more coppers on the beat the more chance of the incidents being stopped. At the moment crimes are committed because the chance of a copper "happening by" are pretty much zero. If we had police on the beat crimes like these would fall simply because an officer could walk around the corner at any minute - just like it used to be.

Sometimes the easiest and simplest solution is the most effective.

It is not just about having more coppers on the beat. The problem is when they identify the culprits and warn them, but don't take it further. If police are not prepared to do that then more coppers aren't going to scare anybody.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Aug 24 2010, 07:44 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 24 2010, 08:38 PM) *
It is not just about having more coppers on the beat. The problem is when they identify the culprits and warn them, but don't take it further. If police are not prepared to do that then more coppers aren't going to scare anybody.

Point taken, but if there was a chance of a policeperson walking by then maybe these incidents wouldn't happen.

Or perhaps we just need to have a zero tolerance policy like New York did/have thanks to Giuliani. I believe this made a huge difference - mainly by supporting the innocent and forgetting about political correctness when it came to the criminals.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 24 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Aug 24 2010, 08:44 PM) *
Point taken, but if there was a chance of a policeperson walking by then maybe these incidents wouldn't happen.

In Turnpike where they have (I should say 'had') police presence the trouble makers just moved on to some place where there was no police.

Or perhaps we just need to have a zero tolerance policy like New York did/have thanks to Giuliani. I believe this made a huge difference - mainly by supporting the innocent and forgetting about political correctness when it came to the criminals.

I think we should have 'zero tolerance'; until that happens yobbos, criminals etc will grow in confidence.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Aug 24 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Basically we need, or should have, law and protection for the law abiding, and suitable punishment for the criminals.

To do this we need a police "force" not "service" and police where police are needed - not in the office, school fete or chasing poachers (at least not until violent crime is all but gone).

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 24 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Aug 24 2010, 08:59 PM) *
Basically we need, or should have, law and protection for the law abiding, and suitable punishment for the criminals.

To do this we need a police "force" not "service" and police where police are needed - not in the office, school fete or chasing poachers (at least not until violent crime is all but gone).

Exactly.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 24 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Aug 24 2010, 08:59 PM) *
or chasing poachers (at least not until violent crime is all but gone).

Maybe, when poaching (theft) returns to 'village character' only taking a rabbit for the pot instead of the organised gangs using threats of and use of violence against farmers, gamekeepers etc. to take deer, pheasant for sale. Many of them will carry shotguns with which to threaten and intimidate. Bit like bank robbers really.

Of course, being a rural crime it doesn't worry those living in their comfy houses on their tidy little housing estate.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Aug 25 2010, 07:37 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 24 2010, 11:10 PM) *
Maybe, when poaching (theft) returns to 'village character' only taking a rabbit for the pot instead of the organised gangs using threats of and use of violence against farmers, gamekeepers etc. to take deer, pheasant for sale. Many of them will carry shotguns with which to threaten and intimidate. Bit like bank robbers really.

Of course, being a rural crime it doesn't worry those living in their comfy houses on their tidy little housing estate.

Yep, poor deer and bunnies.

By the way I was born and grew up, and live in a very small village not a "tidy estate" so I'm well aware on rural issues - and this really isn't one that is of greater importance than the violence described by the poster.

In an ideal word the police would be dealing all crime though.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 25 2010, 07:42 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Aug 25 2010, 08:37 AM) *
Yep, poor deer and bunnies.

Yes, except that wasn't what Darren was talking about, nor the point of his post. The chances are that the gangs Darren referred to, are also a menace in towns as well.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 25 2010, 08:34 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

I believe it is clear that there are not enough police patroling the streets.
If it needs more money and reorganisation to achieve this then lets do it. Transfer some of the funds away from supporting those that self harm themselves in what ever way the prefer, be it drugs , alcohol whatever and use it to support the law abiding, tax paying people of the country to live their lives in peace and security.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 25 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 25 2010, 08:42 AM) *
Yes, except that wasn't what Darren was talking about, nor the point of his post. The chances are that the gangs Darren referred to, are also a menace in towns as well.

Quite

These criminal gangs (not your teenage hoodies) will be behind spates of burglaries in towns as well robberies. They are well organised and have little fear of being arrested as it's all part of the 'game' to them.

Wholesale poaching and thefts from rural locations are all a continuing part of the 'game' when they fancy a trip to the countryside. There, they know they can commit crime safe in the knowledge that there is a much smaller chance of being caught in the act because the ratio of police to the size of area is much lower.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:51 PM