IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Khan Juna out of Thames Valley police commissioner election, The former chairman of the Thames Valley Police Authority has pulled o
Jonno
post Oct 31 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,525

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Oct 21 2012, 10:28 AM) *
Why we would want to politicise the Police force like this I've no idea. Best to fight crime on a legal basis and not out of popular politics.

Possibly now is the time for the UK to introduce a 'none of the above' option for people to select.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 31 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Jonno @ Oct 31 2012, 01:06 PM) *
Possibly now is the time for the UK to introduce a 'none of the above' option for people to select.

Where is that 'LIKE' button?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Oct 31 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Oct 31 2012, 08:48 PM) *
Where is that 'LIKE' button?

I have to agree with you, my most unwanted candidate would be the Thames Valley Conservative but I see this whole change in policing as a reason for the politicians to get their fingers into the pie. I know that our police forces have to toe the political line but this one man control is a step too far in my opinion.

On the surface, the power that this person wields is not healthy. Can he/she really sack the chief constable and how does a person with possibly little knowledge of the police and their methods fit into the equation.

The danger might be if an extreme left wing candidate was able to get the position. That could happen if a group organised its resources and voters, especially if there is a large apathy non vote

We seem to be stuck with this Westminster derived policy so quite right that the ballot paper should give us the opportunity to veto the whole thing. It might rock the foundations if that happened. But it won't, vanity projects get pushed through no matter what.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 1 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Oct 31 2012, 09:05 PM) *
I have to agree with you, my most unwanted candidate would be the Thames Valley Conservative but I see this whole change in policing as a reason for the politicians to get their fingers into the pie. I know that our police forces have to toe the political line but this one man control is a step too far in my opinion.

On the surface, the power that this person wields is not healthy. Can he/she really sack the chief constable and how does a person with possibly little knowledge of the police and their methods fit into the equation.

The danger might be if an extreme left wing candidate was able to get the position. That could happen if a group organised its resources and voters, especially if there is a large apathy non vote

We seem to be stuck with this Westminster derived policy so quite right that the ballot paper should give us the opportunity to veto the whole thing. It might rock the foundations if that happened. But it won't, vanity projects get pushed through no matter what.

Or extreme Right Wing - Or even worse a Newbury Councillor! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Nov 1 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 1 2012, 04:58 PM) *
Or extreme Right Wing - Or even worse a Newbury Councillor! rolleyes.gif

We'll all be arrested for being "vexatious"

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 1 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Penelope @ Nov 1 2012, 05:11 PM) *
We'll all be arrested for being "vexatious"

Oh no does this mean I will be Kirby'd? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Nov 2 2012, 08:57 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

The candidates in the Thames Valley area are:

Patience Tayo Awe is an independent candidate with a "passion for volunteering and serving the community".

An IT post-graduate, she has worked in various sectors and has also served as a charity trustee.

If elected, she wants the public to help set local policing priorities and give victims of crime a voice "with the hope of transforming painful memories into powerful motivators and sources of strength".

Barry Cooper wants police cuts to come from the top down
UKIP candidate Barry Cooper graduated with a masters degree in history and currently works at his family-run luxury furniture business in London.

The 35-year-old admitted he has no professional experience within law enforcement but said expertise can be brought into a team and it is the ideas, common sense and willingness to reform he can bring to the table.

He promises to lobby against further budget cuts to the Thames Valley force and ensure funds are spent in the right places, with any cuts coming from "vanity projects" and the top down.

Geoff Howard wants people to help determine local police priorities
Geoff Howard is a Slough-based businessman, magistrate, school governor and former borough councillor of 13 years.

He wants to be the voice of the people and represent the interests of the community.

The Independent candidate hopes to make the role accountable to the public at a time where police forces are having to manage efficiency savings placed upon them by central government.

John Howson said he knows what it feels like to be a victim of crime
Prof John Howson, who is the Liberal Democrat candidate, has been a magistrate for 22 years as well as being a former government advisor, businessman and academic.

He has experienced crime as the victim of a classroom stabbing as a teacher, experienced four burglaries and been involved in two road accidents.

Prof Howson said he knows what it is like to be a victim of crime and believes too much crime is linked to addictions. He believes stopping reoffending is the key to keeping police budgets down.

Anthony Stansfeld had a long career in the Army
Conservative members across the Thames Valley selected executive member of West Berkshire Council, Anthony Stansfeld, as their candidate.

The councillor also sits on the Thames Valley Police Authority. Mr Stansfeld saw active service in Borneo and Northern Ireland during a career in the Army before becoming managing director at an aircraft company.

He said he would focus on reducing rural crime and improving household burglary detection rates.

Tim Starkey left the Liberal Democrat party over "broken promises"
As a barrister for 11 years, Tim Starkey has prosecuted and defended in hundreds of trials, including a number of high-profile human trafficking cases.

A previous Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate, he left the party in protest at their "broken promises" and the government's "reckless programme of cuts".

His key policing priorities include putting victims first and fighting budget cuts. Mr Starkey also wants to stop police privatisation, create a more effective service and keep decision making local.

(Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19503420)

The choice is yours, but if you do not vote, then we may all end up with someone who is either clueless and is lead by the nose; someone who thinks that they know everything, and tries to drive an agenda that is not evidenced based and doomed to failure; or hopefully we end up with someone who is able to stand back, observe and hear what is needed and works effectively with the operational staff to deliver a more equitable, efficient and high quality service with diminishing funding to the citizens of this area.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 2 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Nov 2 2012, 08:57 PM) *
The choice is yours, but if you do not vote, then we may all end up with someone who is either clueless and is lead by the nose; someone who thinks that they know everything, and tries to drive an agenda that is not evidenced based and doomed to failure; or hopefully we end up with someone who is able to stand back, observe and hear what is needed and works effectively with the operational staff to deliver a more equitable, efficient and high quality service with diminishing funding to the citizens of this area.

why cluless? I wasn't aware that past experience was a pre-requisite for such posts.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 3 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 2 2012, 09:24 PM) *
why cluless? I wasn't aware that past experience was a pre-requisite for such posts.

The only qualification required for most public office - Parliament, Council, Etc. is usually the right background - or school tie? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 3 2012, 12:56 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 3 2012, 10:33 AM) *
The only qualification required for most public office - Parliament, Council, Etc. is usually the right background - or school tie? rolleyes.gif

Care to back that up with some facts?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 3 2012, 01:16 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 3 2012, 12:56 PM) *
Care to back that up with some facts?

I will let you count how many old school ties are in government or local councils etc if you really want it proved to you?
Most people do not need to have it proved - it's bit like asking is that big yellow ball in the sky in the morning the sun? Prove it? blink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 3 2012, 01:21 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 3 2012, 01:16 PM) *
I will let you count how many old school ties are in government or local councils etc if you really want it proved to you?
Most people do not need to have it proved - it's bit like asking is that big yellow ball in the sky in the morning the sun? Prove it? blink.gif

In other words - you can't. thought so.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 3 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 3 2012, 01:21 PM) *

Ah but there's the rub even if I provided links and evidence to support it you would still disagree - yours is the Council way of thinking - blinkered! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 3 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 3 2012, 01:21 PM) *

Aaah, so its the rolled up trouser leg / funny handshake for you is it dannyb? Your secret is safe with us!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Nov 3 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 3 2012, 10:33 AM) *

As Barry Cooper UKIP says...

The 35-year-old admitted he has no professional experience within law enforcement but said expertise can be brought into a team and it is the ideas, common sense and willingness to reform he can bring to the table.

So from his point of view that is correct, no experience required. I understand the salary for this political pawn is £85k or more but here there is mention of a "team". What is the team and is that on top of the salary and where does that cash come from.?

Today, I had a letter through the door from our Conservative member of parliament asking me to vote for Mr Stansfield. Just proves, as far as I can see, that the whole process will be Westminster run as will the job into the future unless we can get some independents in there.

This guy seems to push all the buttons from my point of view.

Tim Starkey left the Liberal Democrat party over "broken promises"
As a barrister for 11 years, Tim Starkey has prosecuted and defended in hundreds of trials, including a number of high-profile human trafficking cases.

A previous Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate, he left the party in protest at their "broken promises" and the government's "reckless programme of cuts".

His key policing priorities include putting victims first and fighting budget cuts. Mr Starkey also wants to stop police privatisation, create a more effective service and keep decision making local.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 3 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 3 2012, 02:29 PM) *
Ah but there's the rub even if I provided links and evidence to support it you would still disagree - yours is the Council way of thinking - blinkered! rolleyes.gif

Actually I'm open minded, but as I thought, you can't......

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 3 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 3 2012, 02:31 PM) *
Aaah, so its the rolled up trouser leg / funny handshake for you is it dannyb? Your secret is safe with us!

Are you talking about the Square Dealers?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 4 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 3 2012, 04:22 PM) *
Are you talking about the Square Dealers?

Lot of it about so I am lead to believe.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 4 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 3 2012, 04:21 PM) *
Actually I'm open minded, but as I thought, you can't......

Open minded? As long as someone at the council informs you of what is in your mind perhaps? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 4 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 4 2012, 01:47 PM) *
Open minded? As long as someone at the council informs you of what is in your mind perhaps? rolleyes.gif

if you say so.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
8 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2024 - 06:47 AM