> Train travel
Mark NWN
post Mar 12 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 907

Hi all,

I am working on a piece in regard to the Government response to the McNulty report on how to make the railways better, and fairer for all.

You can read the response in full here:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/publications/reforming-our-railways/

Summary:

The Command Paper sets out the Government’s vision for the railways, alongside the policies that are needed to realise that vision. Making life better for customers – both passengers and freight users – is at the heart of our approach. We must also make the railways financially sustainable in the longer term, so they can contribute to the country’s economic growth and environmental goals.

Would like your input on this please... are you a regular rail user, have you worked out the implications etc?

I will be doing the rounds of a few contacts and speaking to as many people as possible, feel free to debate the issue but if you would like to contact me and add to the article please email mark.taylor@newburynews.co.uk or call 01635 564532.

Cheers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Mar 12 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #2

Guests

The only thing I remembered from my days of train travel is a general lack of space and dirty stations most of which smelt like wee.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Mar 13 2012, 08:17 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Mar 12 2012, 07:42 PM) *
The only thing I remembered from my days of train travel is a general lack of space and dirty stations most of which smelt like wee.

Not much has changed, except the prices go up and up. It's getting to the point where driving into london and paying to park is becoming a cheaper plan.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 13 2012, 08:27 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

If passengers think that getting rid of staff at ticket offices and trains is a good thing then I think they are sadly mistaken.
Time will tell as the government seem be convinced that most of the recommendations in this report should be implemented.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Mar 13 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #5

Guests

At Thatcham at least, the guy in the ticket booth was both a-) Awesome B-) Legend....wait for it.... c-) better than the ticket machine because he actually knew what station you mean, plus he works in the rain, where as the ticket machine doesn't and d-) following on from B-), I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second part of that word is DARY.

Having both is good for queues and efficiency...one queue for the man, one queue for the machine (if it's not raining)

Talking of rain, how exactly can you set fire to it, because on it's own, it's not combustible.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Mar 13 2012, 09:10 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 13 2012, 08:27 AM) *
If passengers think that getting rid of staff at ticket offices and trains is a good thing then I think they are sadly mistaken.
Time will tell as the government seem be convinced that most of the recommendations in this report should be implemented.

The reduction in train and station staff may be economically advantageous however it does not help passengers in any way.
What train passengers want and deserve considering the price of fares is reliable service, a seat and a stress free journey.
The present situation of passengers being forced to stand for long periods is at best irksome but at worse it is down right dangerous from both a health perspective and the potential of being hurled around the carriage in the event of an accident.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Mar 13 2012, 09:13 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Mar 13 2012, 09:10 AM) *
The present situation of passengers being forced to stand for long periods is at best irksome but at worse it is down right dangerous from both a health perspective and the potential of being hurled around the carriage in the event of an accident.

When I used to work in Basingstoke I took the train in once. It was horrible. Not only did I have to jump trains at Reading but on the line between Reading and Basingstoke there is quite a violent bump which caused me (I have a very good sense of balance) to fall over some guys bicycle...a colleague sat further down the train said she "thought I had fainted".

"Have you had an injury at work or on the train...?"

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Mar 13 2012, 09:28 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Mar 13 2012, 09:10 AM) *
The reduction in train and station staff may be economically advantageous however it does not help passengers in any way.
What train passengers want and deserve considering the price of fares is reliable service, a seat and a stress free journey.

Agree.

McNulty wants to deliver less in a less convenient way and increase fares - madness and a real slap in the face for our rail users. How on earth does putting people off the train and back into the grid locked road network help encourage sustainable travel that the country can afford?

Privatisation has brought nothing but increasing costs to this country.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 13 2012, 09:33 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Mar 13 2012, 11:28 AM) *
Agree.

McNulty wants to deliver less in a less convenient way and increase fares - madness and a real slap in the face for our rail users. How on earth does putting people off the train and back into the grid locked road network help encourage sustainable travel that the country can afford?

Totally agree.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Mar 13 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Mar 13 2012, 09:28 AM) *
Agree.

The reality of the situation is that there are too many passengers using an inadeqate, antiquated and struggling rail rail system. The emphasise has shifted from providing a fit for purpose rail network to a profit taking cash cow.
Unless the government wake up to the mess that the rail system is in they will find more and more people travelling by car. But perhaps the swinging fuel taxes make this a viable option.
And it must not be forgotten that this system is still subsidised by the tax payer.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:18 AM