Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ALDI REFUSED, Unelected officials
gel
post Oct 12 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

Glad to see the Councillors up in arms at the unelected officials refusing their application for new ALDI store where old Wheeler's Renault garage was. angry.gif

These officials should remember they are the servants of the people; the wheeling and dealing
on planning applications with developers, even for someone building their own house, seems to give council employees carte blanche to "blackmail/hussle" as much £££ as they can towards various council coffers.
ie if you don't offer up what we consider a satisfactory "donation" we'll turn down your application.

Seems to be to be getting close to what'd be called corruption in other countries, though in our case benefits don't end up in official's hands, but Council's bank a/c.

As the Councillor says they would almost certainly win on appeal, and that would cost taxpayers a lot to defend. rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Oct 12 2009, 05:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

It seems to be a bloody game to some. They put in a bid, it is turned down for whatever reason - usually money - and they then resubmit the bid back again and usually get it. The system needs a overhaul.

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 12 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

What's wrong with trying to get the most out of any potential developer, for the people of West Berkshire?

Taking the first offer would be, in my view, naive.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Oct 12 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 12 2009, 08:47 PM) *
What's wrong with trying to get the most out of any potential developer, for the people of West Berkshire?

Taking the first offer would be, in my view, naive.

Well said.

+Quote Post
ArchitectRIBA
post Oct 13 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 362

Looking at the officer report Aldi offered £34,000 when WBC were asking for £70,000.
Considering Sainsburys have to pay over £400,000 to highways for their new extension + car park it looks as if Aldi gambled and lost. They ought to resubmit and make the contributions payment and then this would all be done and dusted. Developers know that contributions are required for such projects so I would be surprised if they did go to appeal as that might cost a lot more.

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 13 2009, 08:42 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (ArchitectRIBA @ Oct 13 2009, 11:20 AM) *
Looking at the officer report Aldi offered £34,000 when WBC were asking for £70,000.
Considering Sainsburys have to pay over £400,000 to highways for their new extension + car park it looks as if Aldi gambled and lost. They ought to resubmit and make the contributions payment and then this would all be done and dusted. Developers know that contributions are required for such projects so I would be surprised if they did go to appeal as that might cost a lot more.
I think you're right, it looks like ALDI were trying it on and the "servants of the people" (what a horrible phrase) spotted it and told ALDI where to go.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:56 AM