Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Driving standards are in melt down
Timbo
post Sep 2 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,715

I didn't say it was legal. I said it was a temporary fix.
Thick as two short planks. Simple minds though.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 2 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Timbo @ Sep 2 2012, 12:20 PM) *
Mine would with it's new pads and new, free moving calipers.
What part of "emergency/temporary fix" do you not understand. Maybe your life is empty enough to not have to drive to do things but unfortunately mine is busy.

What is it about driving a car with defective brakes do you not understand?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 2 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Sep 2 2012, 12:24 PM) *
I didn't say it was legal. I said it was a temporary fix.
Thick as two short planks. Simple minds though.

So therefore, you should not have driven the car.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 2 2012, 11:54 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

A couple of still pics as in Timbo's post, don't really show the circumstances. If in the first picture, the two lanes are both popping along at 70mph as normally happens on the busy M4 during the 'rush hours' then moving left would not resolve any problem for the car behind. I'm not sure why you want to be angry with other road users who by experience know that dodging about in traffic to gain a couple of spaces probably only gains a couple of minutes at the end of the journey.
In the second picture I fail to see why you need to teach the driver a lesson. I have no idea what speed he was doing but what you suggest is a life threatening manouver and anyway, just overtake in the empty third lane and quietly get on with your journey. You will arrive less stressed and your heart rate will remain at a normal level boding well for your longevity.
And as far as Biker is concerned, don't shout.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 2 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Just a brief foray into this two-person argument.

If I am driving in the nearside lane of a quiet 3-lane motorway, and I come up behind some idiot sitting in the middle lane, I too will pull right over to overtake then return to the nearside lane as quickly as it is safe to do so.

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Sep 2 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

Exhausted, when traffic is moving freely, lanes 2 & 3 are solely for the purpose of overtaking. Nothing else. You appear to be bewilderingly ignorant of that most basic of facts.

Plonking youself in the middle lane so as to avoid a bit of lane changing as you appear to think is fine, does nothing but cause traffic behind you collectively to slow down. There have been several studies of the effects of drivers like you on traffic flow. The percentages vary but they reckon approx 30% of slow moving traffic on motorways is caused by poor lane discipline.

Please buy (and read) the highway code.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 2 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 2 2012, 12:55 PM) *

If I am driving in the nearside lane of a quiet 3-lane motorway, and I come up behind some idiot sitting in the middle lane, I too will pull right over to overtake then return to the nearside lane as quickly as it is safe to do so.

That's the correct answer. However, I do not drive in the centre lane if the left lane is clear, that is bad manners.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 2 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 2 2012, 12:55 PM) *

I just stay in the near side lane and pass. Some times they get the message and pull back in afterwards, if I stay in the near side lane I normally find myself getting everywhere quicker anyway.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 2 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 2 2012, 02:05 PM) *
I just stay in the near side lane and pass. Some times they get the message and pull back in afterwards, if I stay in the near side lane I normally find myself getting everywhere quicker anyway.

I'm sorry to say that that really is a dangerous attitude. An undertaking car might not be seen in the centre lane driver's mirror if he/she decides to move to the left after checking the rear view mirror. At even 30mph that will put both cars off the road if contact occurs and that would be your fault. Undertaking should only happen if all three lanes are moving slowly and this means at less than 15mph.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 2 2012, 01:19 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 2 2012, 02:05 PM) *
I just stay in the near side lane and pass.

I do that sometimes. Especially if I am approaching my exit and the lane is clear right to the exit. Actually, the Americans have the right idea and pass legally in any lane. Then it doesn't really matter if someone hogs a lane.

They also have "right turn on red after stop" at traffic lights in many states, which is a great idea. It would be left here, of course, but often a safe manoeuvre.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 2 2012, 01:34 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 2 2012, 02:19 PM) *
I do that sometimes. Especially if I am approaching my exit and the lane is clear right to the exit. Actually, the Americans have the right idea and pass legally in any lane. Then it doesn't really matter if someone hogs a lane.

Still a dodgy move for the reasons I have given and this is not America. Just because they do it over the pond where they never travel at more than 50mph, it wouldn't work here.

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 2 2012, 02:19 PM) *
They also have "right turn on red after stop" at traffic lights in many states, which is a great idea. It would be left here, of course, but often a safe manoeuvre.

That might work. It certainly works for cyclists who in most cases are colour blind anyway.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 2 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Sep 2 2012, 02:14 PM) *
I'm sorry to say that that really is a dangerous attitude. An undertaking car might not be seen in the centre lane driver's mirror if he/she decides to move to the left after checking the rear view mirror. At even 30mph that will put both cars off the road if contact occurs and that would be your fault. Undertaking should only happen if all three lanes are moving slowly and this means at less than 15mph.

Of course I would expect anybody pulling across any lane to check their mirrors first, but of course some people don't. But most of the time, in fact all the times I have done this nobody has pulled across, why would they if they are middle lane focused? On the same note though, I do see a lot of people who indicate start to come across (right, to overtake), and then check their mirrors before suddenly pulling back in when they realise someone is there!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 2 2012, 01:58 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

The totally correct thing to do would obviously be slow down, leave a massive gap, pull out behind them, go across two lanes, overtake, indicate to come back and then manoeuvre back across two lanes again.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Sep 2 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Sep 2 2012, 02:34 PM) *
Just because they do it over the pond where they never travel at more than 50mph.

Where in heaven's name to you get that stupid idea from...?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 2 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Sep 2 2012, 03:21 PM) *
Where in heaven's name to you get that stupid idea from...?

Does one always have to draw a winking eye wink.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Sep 2 2012, 02:52 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Timbo @ Sep 2 2012, 11:49 AM) *
I'm not saying it's an excuse but, if you are sat in the outside lane doing 65 when the inside lane is clear, then personally, I would maintain a good distance for a while, maybe a minute or so. If they do not move over, I will give a little flash from a safe distance.
If this does not work, I will close the gap slightly after a period of about 20 or 30 seconds (so about 3 flashes, every 10 seconds).
After this I would either undertake (sue me) or sit on the tail of the car infront**. Nothing annoys me more on the motorway or dual carriageways than people who sit in the middle/outside lane who are not going very fast when there is a perfectly clear inside lane to use.......

When have you come across a car in the outside lane doing 65 when the inside lane is clear? On motorways they are rarely going less than 80 unless it is really congested.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Sep 2 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Seems that I agree with Strain and JeffG.
Nice to know there are some people who actually understand driving...........

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Sep 2 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Sep 2 2012, 12:54 PM) *
A couple of still pics as in Timbo's post, don't really show the circumstances. If in the first picture, the two lanes are both popping along at 70mph as normally happens on the busy M4 during the 'rush hours' then moving left would not resolve any problem for the car behind. I'm not sure why you want to be angry with other road users who by experience know that dodging about in traffic to gain a couple of spaces probably only gains a couple of minutes at the end of the journey.
In the second picture I fail to see why you need to teach the driver a lesson. I have no idea what speed he was doing but what you suggest is a life threatening manouver and anyway, just overtake in the empty third lane and quietly get on with your journey. You will arrive less stressed and your heart rate will remain at a normal level boding well for your longevity.
And as far as Biker is concerned, don't shout.

Not threatening. I know how long my car is and will pull back past them as closely as is possible without being unsafe or causing an acident.
You do seem to be a bit ignorant to how motorways work. In both circumstances all of the cars pictured in the middle lane SHOULD be in the left hand-most lane irrespective of speed

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 2 2012, 05:41 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Sep 2 2012, 05:31 PM) *
Not threatening. I know how long my car is and will pull back past them as closely as is possible without being unsafe or causing an acident.

Until the time you do. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Sep 2 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Then that'll be a sad day indeed. sad.gif

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:36 AM