> Sod it - I'm going to take action
GMR
post Jun 16 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 16 2009, 02:49 PM) *
It's not all kids causing the problems though.

If a man with a previously unblemished record can be given 120 hours community service and be warned that he only just escaped a prison sentence for slapping a cyclist for slight provocation (see Newbury Today) then surely these repeat offenders must be treated much more strictly by the courts.

Yes, it is not only kids that are to blame. I also agree with your prognosis. We should be seen to be tough... not just speak it. Blair came into power saying "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" and just made token gestures. Nothing changed, in fact things got worse under his watch; in more ways that one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anon
post Jun 16 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 113

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 16 2009, 12:56 PM) *
Maybe the Police resources are over stretched and the Government needs to allow more to be recruited.

Unfortunately its not only the fact that police resources are overstretched, but also the fact that the criminal justice system is so historic and out of date, when people are arrested it doesn't feel like the punishment fits the crime! It's an unfortunate fact of society these days!

+Quote Post
Betjo
post Jun 16 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 148

Yesterday up at Tesco car park a man was using the space behind a car for a toilet. An innocent mother was walking across the park with a youngster aged about 4 and the kiddie distincly said to his Mum "Look at that man having a pee" The man took no notice or gave an apology.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 16 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Anon @ Jun 16 2009, 04:20 PM) *
Unfortunately its not only the fact that police resources are overstretched, but also the fact that the criminal justice system is so historic and out of date, when people are arrested it doesn't feel like the punishment fits the crime! It's an unfortunate fact of society these days!

Yes, and the police know this so they should stand up and be counted. It is not just enough to say "we are following orders, that is all". They, themselves, do not accept the penalties that are dished out by the courts.... so they should stand up and say "enough is enough."

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 21 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Its a shame that those who are responsible set pretty poor examples themselves. Being a grumpy old g** I don't generally hold back. Imagine my surprise when I challenged a driver of an unmarked car who'd driven the length of Northbrook Street and stopped by the lights in the Market - chatting to a street cleaner. 'Sorry about butting in old son, but this is a pedestrian street' - 'Oh its OK, I work for the Cleaning people and need access to check my staff''. Major row follows, started because I said I'd like such a privilege to check my own. Call to WBC Reception to report matter resulted in the usual 'don't understand, there's no one in the office at the moment' response.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 21 2009, 04:05 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 21 2009, 04:40 PM) *
Its a shame that those who are responsible set pretty poor examples themselves. Being a grumpy old g** I don't generally hold back. Imagine my surprise when I challenged a driver of an unmarked car who'd driven the length of Northbrook Street and stopped by the lights in the Market - chatting to a street cleaner. 'Sorry about butting in old son, but this is a pedestrian street' - 'Oh its OK, I work for the Cleaning people and need access to check my staff''. Major row follows, started because I said I'd like such a privilege to check my own. Call to WBC Reception to report matter resulted in the usual 'don't understand, there's no one in the office at the moment' response.

The trouble is those people think they are god. We've got to stand up and be counted. I would/ have done the same thing in your shoes. Whether he worked for the cleaning people or not he still has to abide by the laws as everybody else does. You did the right thing; it is a pity more people don't do the same.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 22 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Saw a chap who tried to intervene when he saw four kids trying to smash a fence up in the alley between Catherine Road and the Station the other day. Needless to say they threw Stones at him, swore at him and were very agressive. Nice kids. I expect their parents were on their 3rd tub of white lightening.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 22 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 22 2009, 10:30 AM) *
Saw a chap who tried to intervene when he saw four kids trying to smash a fence up in the alley between Catherine Road and the Station the other day. Needless to say they threw Stones at him, swore at him and were very agressive. Nice kids. I expect their parents were on their 3rd tub of white lightening.

Yes, and if he did retaliate it would be him who gets into trouble and not the kids; because kids have human rights, innocent, good citizen's don't. And if the police witnessed this behaviour, what would they have done? Give the kids a stern talking to? Or even their parents? I don't think so. Those kids do it because they behave like masters; untouchable... and they are that way because society doesn't act. They just defend the indefensible.

GOD THIS SORT OF THINK MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL... and my anger is not directed towards the kids but the government and authority for allowing us to get into this situation.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 22 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #29

Guests

You should see/hear the goings on in and around Highfield Avenue, right next to WBC head office everyday, kids (why aren't they at school?) pull down fence panels almost as soon as they are repaired and dodgy looking people are in and out of the road, which is immediately behind the bus station and obscured from view also by hedges and aforementioned fence, all the time, it is especially "busy" on Friday afternoons.........

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 22 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 22 2009, 10:49 AM) *
Yes, and if he did retaliate it would be him who gets into trouble and not the kids; because kids have human rights, innocent, good citizen's don't. And if the police witnessed this behaviour, what would they have done? Give the kids a stern talking to? Or even their parents? I don't think so. Those kids do it because they behave like masters; untouchable... and they are that way because society doesn't act. They just defend the indefensible.

GOD THIS SORT OF THINK MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL... and my anger is not directed towards the kids but the government and authority for allowing us to get into this situation.

And which political party is going to take tough action to rectify this situation?
None of the mainstream parties!
Which is why so many people are saying enough is enough and backing some of the minority parties.

It's no use moaning when this happens - the mainstream parties have to take the necessary action on the issues where the people want it or the more extreme parties will only gain more power.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 22 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 22 2009, 12:29 PM) *
And which political party is going to take tough action to rectify this situation?
None of the mainstream parties!
Which is why so many people are saying enough is enough and backing some of the minority parties.

It's no use moaning when this happens - the mainstream parties have to take the necessary action on the issues where the people want it or the more extreme parties will only gain more power.

I agree... that is why so many people, as you said, have turned to minority parties. But if we don’t stand up and be counted we can’t point the finger at other people.

All this rot started with Blair’s government. He promised so much (“education, education, education” & “tough on crime, tough on the causes on crime”) and actually delivered just his famous sound bites. He turned this country into a Big Brother society (we are the most watched country in the world), gave us the Human Rights bill (that protects the yobs of our society) and then walked away leaving Brown to deal with his mess and the worst recession in 60 years. Next year can’t come quick enough; a general election that might, just might, bring in a new dawn.

+Quote Post
Anon
post Jun 22 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 22 2009, 10:49 AM) *

Maybe its the parents that you should vent your frustrations at for not installing simple morals and values in to their children and teach them some respect.

+Quote Post
Anon
post Jun 22 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 22 2009, 12:22 PM) *
You should see/hear the goings on in and around Highfield Avenue, right next to WBC head office everyday, kids (why aren't they at school?) pull down fence panels almost as soon as they are repaired and dodgy looking people are in and out of the road, which is immediately behind the bus station and obscured from view also by hedges and aforementioned fence, all the time, it is especially "busy" on Friday afternoons.........

this quite regularly amuses me!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 22 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Anon @ Jun 22 2009, 01:55 PM) *
Maybe its the parents that you should vent your frustrations at for not installing simple morals and values in to their children and teach them some respect.

Again i totally agree. If kids are under and certain age then peoples frustrations should be directed at them. Problem is, as soon as you do that the law comes out and protects them and shoves their human rights down our throats. Authority is just as culpable as the parents.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jun 27 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 1 2009, 09:04 AM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10175

Group of youths Asault Man.

So a guy is battered unconcious by a group of yobs in the middle of the high street.

Bailed to return on the 27th June. sad.gif

At least we know theirs a good chance another member of the public will take a good kicking before then.
I'm just suprised the Police attended. Must have been a nuisance.

So why has it got this bad?Because we have allowed the liberal do-gooders to erode our ability to reclaim the moral high ground.Time was when an unruly yob got a swift cuff round the ear from a "concerned" member of the public and that was that.Now anyone who even considers,let alone does,runs a very real risk of finding himself in front of the bench.
Whoever it is that owns this country it certainly ain't the citizens.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 27 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jun 27 2009, 06:35 PM) *
So why has it got this bad?Because we have allowed the liberal do-gooders to erode our ability to reclaim the moral high ground.Time was when an unruly yob got a swift cuff round the ear from a "concerned" member of the public and that was that.Now anyone who even considers,let alone does,runs a very real risk of finding himself in front of the bench.
Whoever it is that owns this country it certainly ain't the citizens.

Agreed.... and this government has done nothing for Law and order.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 27 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #37

Guests

Dont think the previous one was any better to be honest.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 27 2009, 09:14 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 27 2009, 10:12 PM) *
Dont think the previous one was any better to be honest.

It wasn't any worse; i presume you are talking about the Major government and not the Thatcher government?

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 27 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #39

Guests

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 27 2009, 10:14 PM) *
It wasn't any worse; i presume you are talking about the Major government and not the Thatcher government?

Both!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 27 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 27 2009, 10:18 PM) *
Both!

The Thatcher government started off ok and brought some good laws in and they were tough on crime, however, when Thatcher run out of ideas she should have gone in 1987. Major was a hostage to fortune and was in a very weak position. However, no matter how bad they were they could never compare to the Blair/ Brown years, which were a total disaster.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:53 AM