Andy Capp
post May 7 2019, 08:17 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 7 2019, 08:23 AM) *
PROTEST CAMP WOMEN, PROTEST CAMP WOMEN> rolleyes.gif

The name of the camp(s) is a matter of record: Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp. The Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp was a camp full of people protesting about nuclear weapons. I don’t see why you are getting your petticoat in a twist? 😉
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 8 2019, 05:09 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 7 2019, 09:17 PM) *
The name of the camp(s) is a matter of record: Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp. The Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp was a camp full of people protesting about nuclear weapons. I don’t see why you are getting your petticoat in a twist? ��

Because it is a misnomer Andy.
We have peace which has been achieved so far with or without the camp.
Some may say it is because we had / have these weapons that peace, so far, remains.
We all want peace. If a camp had been set up in support of the weapons surely this could have been described as a "Peace Camp" also?
I know it is futile trying at this stage to rename a historical inaccuracy but just trying to make a point. smile.gif

P.S. PLEASE don't stoop to the level of newres and include personal silliness in your comments. Also an inaccuracy as I have given up wearing petticoats!!
Thanks. wink.gif

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 8 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 8 2019, 06:09 AM) *
Some may say it is because we had / have these weapons that peace, so far, remains.
We all want peace. If a camp had been set up in support of the weapons surely this could have been described as a "Peace Camp" also?
I know it is futile trying at this stage to rename a historical inaccuracy but just trying to make a point. smile.gif

P.S. PLEASE don't stoop to the level of newres and include personal silliness in your comments. Also an inaccuracy as I have given up wearing petticoats!!
Thanks. wink.gif

It was called the 'Womens Peace Camp' because it portrayed a warm fuzzy image of the sisterhood. The 'Bunch of Living on the Dole, smelly, crapping in the bushes getting in everyone's way Camp' didn't play so well.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 8 2019, 07:05 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 8 2019, 06:53 PM) *
It was called the 'Womens Peace Camp' because it portrayed a warm fuzzy image of the sisterhood. The 'Bunch of Living on the Dole, smelly, crapping in the bushes getting in everyone's way Camp' didn't play so well.

Are you a Newburian? I didn’t move here until 91 and there was only a token number there then. How did they get in your way?

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 8 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 8 2019, 08:05 PM) *
Are you a Newburian? I didn’t move here until 91 and there was only a token number there then. How did they get in your way?

Blocking roads, weekend princesses parking all over the roads, using local pubs toilets to wash in, constantly waving stuff in your face in town. ******* horrible.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 8 2019, 10:07 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 8 2019, 06:09 AM) *

Thanks. wink.gif

Peace is subjective: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...-Hiroshima.html

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 8 2019, 11:10 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thevintage...ueror-film/amp/

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 9 2019, 10:45 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

The peace camp was a direct result of why NATO deployed the cruise across Europe, to ensure personal freedoms and liberties.

However, the media and left wing has turned them into martyrs, which is far from the truth.

The funniest things I think is the peace women dancing on the empty shelter in the GAMA. There was nothing in them, and they made out that is was a great triumph. Ask them if they got close when the cruise and vehicles were in there? err, no...
http://www.fredsakademiet.dk/abase/sange/greenham/song41.htm

The fact that they would disrupt the missiles deploying. They didn't even have to leave the GAMA to be used, doh.

On the 20th anniversary of the trust, during a talk at the RBL in Newbury. There were a couple of peace women in the audience who stated that they never but children in danger during the protests, and up popped a picture of a child in it's mothers arms in the middle of the road with a vehicle trying to pass. What was the response from the women, that photo was of one of the other gate's peace women..

Again, they had their place in history, but the fact is that the cruise missile deployment was one of the reasons why the Warsaw Pact fell apart, and many of the former countries are part of NATO.

It's sad that 75 years after the invasion of Europe in which the Nazi's were defeated, and the importance of Greenham Common during this time is being downplayed by a lack of official ceremonies..

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 9 2019, 10:52 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 2 2019, 09:10 PM) *
It’s a view. I do think there’s a strong argument that nuclear weapons kept the peace but don’t forget Kennedy was willing to sacrifice us over the Cuba crisis so I shouldn’t get too dewy eyed. The idea that cruise missiles finished off the Warsaw Pact is ridiculous frankly.

Are you serious? Stop drinking the Kool aid. Do you think the peace women ended the Cold War and the saw the demise of the Warsaw Pact. I guess the INF treaty had nothing to do with it.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 9 2019, 11:54 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 9 2019, 11:52 AM) *
Are you serious? Stop drinking the Kool aid. Do you think the peace women ended the Cold War and the saw the demise of the Warsaw Pact. I guess the INF treaty had nothing to do with it.

Can you explain how that treaty led to the demise of the Warsaw Pact?

The Peace Women certainly raised awareness of the Americans sticking nuclear weapons on our soil. They put Greenham Common on the map too.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 9 2019, 04:15 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

OK was it the "peace" women's (I give in, I'll go along with it!) presence or the nuclear weapon's presence that maintained the peace?
And by that I mean peace in Europe and with Russia since the Cuban Crisis.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 9 2019, 05:16 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 9 2019, 05:15 PM) *
OK was it the "peace" women's (I give in, I'll go along with it!) presence or the nuclear weapon's presence that maintained the peace?
And by that I mean peace in Europe and with Russia since the Cuban Crisis.

Does it have to be one or the other? The Peace Women certainly created a lot of awareness of and opposition to US missiles on our soil. Arguably the Russian missiles prevented US aggression. I totally get why Iran wants them.

But I would say the alliance between the old enemies of France and Germany is what’s really led to peace and stability.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 9 2019, 06:26 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 9 2019, 06:16 PM) *
Does it have to be one or the other? The Peace Women certainly created a lot of awareness of and opposition to US missiles on our soil. Arguably the Russian missiles prevented US aggression. I totally get why Iran wants them.

But I would say the alliance between the old enemies of France and Germany is what’s really led to peace and stability.

I honestly don't know where to begin. It's either a poor education or very subtle trolling.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 9 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 9 2019, 07:26 PM) *
I honestly don't know where to begin. It's either a poor education or very subtle trolling.

Educate me then.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 9 2019, 11:36 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 9 2019, 09:43 PM) *
Educate me then.

I would try but I'm afraid it would be like trying to explain astro physics to a flat earther. "The Peace Women certainly created a lot of awareness of and opposition to US missiles on our soil. Arguably the Russian missiles prevented US aggression"

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
newres
post May 10 2019, 04:23 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 10 2019, 12:36 AM) *
I would try but I'm afraid it would be like trying to explain astro physics to a flat earther. "The Peace Women certainly created a lot of awareness of and opposition to US missiles on our soil. Arguably the Russian missiles prevented US aggression"

But you haven’t got any evidence to the contrary? You lot do make me laugh the way you think others are the products of mainstream media when in fact it’s you that’s swallowed the lot. It’s like arguing with a 13 year old Sun reader at times.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 10 2019, 08:19 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Expand on your claim that Russia prevented American aggression.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 10 2019, 08:49 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 10 2019, 05:23 AM) *
But you haven’t got any evidence to the contrary? You lot do make me laugh the way you think others are the products of mainstream media when in fact it’s you that’s swallowed the lot. It’s like arguing with a 13 year old Sun reader at times.

Arguably the Russian missiles prevented US aggression"

I have no proof? I am the living proof. My last assignment was RAF GC. Before I arrived the INF treat was signed and I was worried they would change my assignment.

Why do you think the Russians signed the INF treaty? Because they couldn't keep up the pace of developing and deploying new systems. Why did the Russian satellite countries do away with their communist govt's? Because they were tired of being told what to do by the Russians, while NATO was working together as partners.

Why did some of the former Warsaw Pact countries send troops to a U.S. led coalition known as the first Gulf War. Didn't the Russians try to use their influence to stop it.

This isn't make believe, it is fact.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 10 2019, 09:04 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 10 2019, 12:36 AM) *

And, you were right! Reykjavik never happened, Gorby was just too worried about the women's peace camp, that's why he started pulling missiles. The Russians weren't aggressive, no no no, Cuba was a figment of our imagination! A brutal dictatorship steam rollering its way across Europe? Never happened. Iron curtain? Didn't exist. It was all American aggression all along. Good job uncle Joe was there to protect us.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Blake
post May 11 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

QUOTE (newres @ May 9 2019, 11:54 AM) *
Can you explain how that treaty led to the demise of the Warsaw Pact?

The Peace Women certainly raised awareness of the Americans sticking nuclear weapons on our soil. They put Greenham Common on the map too.

Do your homework on this; it was in fact West German government and Jim Callaghan that urged the deployment of GLCM.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:12 AM