Reply to this topicStart new topic
> D-Day +75
Phil_D11102
post Apr 26 2019, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 846

Is this what the WBC, the Corn Exchange, Greenham Parish Council and the Greenham Trust has diluted the sacrifices of U.S. and British forces down to, a dramatic representation? These young men, many did not return, gathered on Greenham Common to jump into Nazi held France to start the liberation of Europe.

One of the most iconic photos of the WWII was taken on the 5th of June, and there is nothing after 75 years to commemorate this.

Shameful, simply shameful.

"The eyes of the world are upon you" General Dwight D. Eisenhower.

75 years ago, Eisenhower made his famous speech at Greenham Common to encourage allied soldiers in preparation for the D-Day landings. Commemorating the legacy of this extraordinary moment in our history on both a local and national scale, follow Eisenhower in the days leading up to this event, along with a company from the 101st Airborne Divison stationed at Greenham and hear the stories of the local people of Newbury.

Audiences can expect to be taken back in time to experience the challenges and jubilance of war and to help them better understand how it affected those living on the air base and in the local area. Taking place at the recently extended 101 Outdoor Arts Creation Space on Greenham Business Park, D-Day 75 will comprise of interactive immersive performances from over 100 community performers, which will culminate in a celebratory tea dance led by a professional band of musicians.

Written by the Watermill Theatre’s playwright in residence Danielle Pearson and co-produced with Corn Exchange Newbury and Greenham Trust

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 26 2019, 12:16 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Apr 26 2019, 12:08 PM) *
Is this what the WBC, the Corn Exchange, Greenham Parish Council and the Greenham Trust has diluted the sacrifices of U.S. and British forces down to, a dramatic representation? These young men, many did not return, gathered on Greenham Common to jump into Nazi held France to start the liberation of Europe.

One of the most iconic photos of the WWII was taken on the 5th of June, and there is nothing after 75 years to commemorate this.

Shameful, simply shameful.

"The eyes of the world are upon you" General Dwight D. Eisenhower.

75 years ago, Eisenhower made his famous speech at Greenham Common to encourage allied soldiers in preparation for the D-Day landings. Commemorating the legacy of this extraordinary moment in our history on both a local and national scale, follow Eisenhower in the days leading up to this event, along with a company from the 101st Airborne Divison stationed at Greenham and hear the stories of the local people of Newbury.

Audiences can expect to be taken back in time to experience the challenges and jubilance of war and to help them better understand how it affected those living on the air base and in the local area. Taking place at the recently extended 101 Outdoor Arts Creation Space on Greenham Business Park, D-Day 75 will comprise of interactive immersive performances from over 100 community performers, which will culminate in a celebratory tea dance led by a professional band of musicians.

Written by the Watermill Theatre’s playwright in residence Danielle Pearson and co-produced with Corn Exchange Newbury and Greenham Trust

Perhaps Donald Trump will pay a visit..

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Apr 26 2019, 03:02 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

So you were complaining that nobody was doing anything, now they are you're complaining as it isn't enough? My Grandad is a D Day veteran and he would love to see something like this, it seems like a decent thing to do. Can't keep on every 5 years doing more and more.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Apr 28 2019, 09:02 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Apr 26 2019, 04:02 PM) *
So you were complaining that nobody was doing anything, now they are you're complaining as it isn't enough? My Grandad is a D Day veteran and he would love to see something like this, it seems like a decent thing to do. Can't keep on every 5 years doing more and more.

The tower can do this "Tonight at Greenham Control Tower, Nina Wakeford gave her performance of "An apprenticeship in queer I believe it was".

A spoken word, song and words from first-person accounts of women who were interviewed in a study of the peace camp.

Projected alongside Nina were thousands of images of forget-me-nots from the nearby memorial Peace Garden, photographed one by one on 16mm film.

One of photos gives you a behind the scenes insight of two of the 16mm projectors inside the tower.

Thank-you to Nina and her team for the bring the performance to The Tower."

but cannot have anything on the 75th anniversary of the D-Day. How flipping wrong is this. They want to have their artsy fartsy dramatic interpretation of what it was like living in Newbury, that's fine, but how is that connected with the tower?

RAF GC was the main base for D-Day. Nothing to remember this, nothing to remember the Allied Commander in Chief coming to talk to his troops.

Perhaps this is the true color of what the powers that be in Newbury truly feel about the American presence. Out of sight, out of mind.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Apr 28 2019, 04:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

I thought the tower was erected in the aptly 1950s....a bit late for D Day. Sure, it's right, and we will commemorate the 75th anniversary of D Day - but in the right places for such a solumn occasion. Call me a killjoy, but I'm getting a tad concerned about our commemorations; the Amercian airforce wasn't the only participants and worthy though their contribution was, there used to be an old saying in our family about them being over paid, over sexed and over here. Frankly, we should remember the real heros, 18 year old lads in scratchy shapless British uniforms, who for transport would be lucky to find a bike, all on a pittance. No we haven't forgotten the war, or the allies, the Canadians, the Free French, the Australians etc.etc. and the Americans. The real shame is that we now take Hollywood as truth.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 29 2019, 08:09 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Stop calling it the bloody "Peace Camp"! angry.gif
Surely we ALL want peace, it's just that there are varied views on how we achieve it?
Some may say that the presence of Greenham Airfield and the later cruise missile helped to maintain that peace?
"Protest Camp" would be a more suitable nomer.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Apr 29 2019, 11:18 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 29 2019, 09:09 AM) *
Stop calling it the bloody "Peace Camp"! angry.gif
Surely we ALL want peace, it's just that there are varied views on how we achieve it?
Some may say that the presence of Greenham Airfield and the later cruise missile helped to maintain that peace?
"Protest Camp" would be a more suitable nomer.

Well said sir. Like most viewpoints one only becomes discredited when it results in carnage, and as we are still here instead of huge mushroom cloud it appears that the correct choice was made.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 1 2019, 10:02 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Apr 28 2019, 05:12 PM) *
I thought the tower was erected in the aptly 1950s....a bit late for D Day. Sure, it's right, and we will commemorate the 75th anniversary of D Day - but in the right places for such a solumn occasion. Call me a killjoy, but I'm getting a tad concerned about our commemorations; the Amercian airforce wasn't the only participants and worthy though their contribution was, there used to be an old saying in our family about them being over paid, over sexed and over here. Frankly, we should remember the real heros, 18 year old lads in scratchy shapless British uniforms, who for transport would be lucky to find a bike, all on a pittance. No we haven't forgotten the war, or the allies, the Canadians, the Free French, the Australians etc.etc. and the Americans. The real shame is that we now take Hollywood as truth.

I have been contacting everyone currently connected with the tower, and I have been suggesting that a plaque is put up at the tower simply saying:

"For those who served 1942 to 1992"

It should have the Union Jack and U.S. flags on it crossover.

Nobody is interested.

I was told that there is a monument somewhere int the outlying villages regarding the U.S. forces from WWII.

Shocking that nothing official is happening anywhere in this area.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 1 2019, 10:08 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Why is it so shocking?

Were you in the forces by any chance?

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 2 2019, 02:52 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 1 2019, 11:08 AM) *
Why is it so shocking?

Were you in the forces by any chance?

Why is it shocking, because an event that openly supports the peace women which you can see in today's NWN in the arts section, but cannot hold a milestone anniversary event that if it had failed, the face of Europe could be very different today.

Was I in the forces, yes, I was. 11 years in the USAF. I fell in love with this area so much that when I was discharged in 1992 I didn't return back to the USA. Why do I find events up at the base today so disturbing, because it looks like a run down derelict POS that was once a vibrant community. All it could of taken was some work and it could be a very vibrant leisure park just like the one in Basingstoke. Why do I feel so angry about the events at the control tower, because it is plan to see that the viewpoint is slant towards to peach women and their cause, and not the full history of the base. Even in the NWN write up about the below event took place at the USAAF base. The term USAAF hasn't been used since 1947. Shows how much accuracy goes into reporting.

Tonight at Greenham Control Tower, Nina Wakeford gave her performance of "An apprenticeship in queer I believe it was".

A spoken word, song and words from first-person accounts of women who were interviewed in a study of the peace camp.

Projected alongside Nina were thousands of images of forget-me-nots from the nearby memorial Peace Garden, photographed one by one on 16mm film.

One of photos gives you a behind the scenes insight of two of the 16mm projectors inside the tower.

Thank-you to Stephen Miles and Sarah Jayne Breadmore Miles from SJ Wines for looking us and treating our audience to some fantastic wines, and Dan from Loddon Brewery for the Hullabaloo.

To all at Reading International for facilitating all this as part of https://readinginternational.org/…/uncommoning-voices-nonco… programme of events.

And finally - a huge thank-you to Nina Wakeford and her team for the bring the performance to Greenham Control Tower.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 2 2019, 02:57 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

It is I'm afraid can sign of the times, events that freed us from the tyranny of the Nazi's is mostly ignored except for benefits to the box office while a bunch of unwashed weekend warriors disruption of Newbury is treated as being 'cool' and 'culturally relevant'.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 2 2019, 03:03 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 2 2019, 03:57 PM) *
It is I'm afraid can sign of the times, events that freed us from the tyranny of the Nazi's is mostly ignored except for benefits to the box office while a bunch of unwashed weekend warriors disruption of Newbury is treated as being 'cool' and 'culturally relevant'.

Nazi's what?

It is a fact that Greenham is most remembered for cruise missiles and the protests. If we held a "do" at every location related to D Day we'd be swamped.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 2 2019, 03:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 2 2019, 04:03 PM) *
Nazi's what?

It is a fact that Greenham is most remembered for cruise missiles and the protests. If we held a "do" at every location related to D Day we'd be swamped.

Which would not be a bad thing, remember the sacrifice of the boys who jumped behind enemy lines, forget the smelly unwashed.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 2 2019, 04:05 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 2 2019, 04:03 PM) *
Nazi's what?

Thanks to the determination of NATO, the deployment of the cruise missile across Europe finished off the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact. Anyone who doesn't believe that is deluded. There are no celebrations for that.

How many of those young men who jumped out of the planes over Nazi occupied France are still alive? There will be celebrations in France for their liberation, but what about celebrating the fact that the UK didn't need to be liberated?

There is no plaque or monument up at Greenham who jumped into the night sky, and after 75 years, isn't it about time they are recognized here locally.

Again, one of the most iconic photos of WWII was taken locally, and that is not remembered anywhere in this area.

Shameful.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 2 2019, 04:41 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

So, out of interest Phil, where are you from originally?

+Quote Post
newres
post May 2 2019, 08:10 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 2 2019, 05:05 PM) *
Thanks to the determination of NATO, the deployment of the cruise missile across Europe finished off the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact. Anyone who doesn't believe that is deluded. There are no celebrations for that.

How many of those young men who jumped out of the planes over Nazi occupied France are still alive? There will be celebrations in France for their liberation, but what about celebrating the fact that the UK didn't need to be liberated?

There is no plaque or monument up at Greenham who jumped into the night sky, and after 75 years, isn't it about time they are recognized here locally.

Again, one of the most iconic photos of WWII was taken locally, and that is not remembered anywhere in this area.

Shameful.

It’s a view. I do think there’s a strong argument that nuclear weapons kept the peace but don’t forget Kennedy was willing to sacrifice us over the Cuba crisis so I shouldn’t get too dewy eyed. The idea that cruise missiles finished off the Warsaw Pact is ridiculous frankly.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 3 2019, 05:08 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 2 2019, 03:52 PM) *
Why is it shocking, because an event that openly supports the peace women which you can see in today's NWN in the arts section, but cannot hold a milestone anniversary event that if it had failed, the face of Europe could be very different today.

Aaarrgghh!!
Not "peace women".
Protesters yes.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 6 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

It is interesting because the Peace Camp women were not entirely appreciated by the locals, where as everyone seemed to have an American serviceman as a friend! Notwithstanding the brilliant air tattoos!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 7 2019, 07:23 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 6 2019, 09:34 PM) *
It is interesting because the Peace Camp women were not entirely appreciated by the locals,

PROTEST CAMP WOMEN, PROTEST CAMP WOMEN> rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
newres
post May 7 2019, 08:48 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 7 2019, 08:23 AM) *
PROTEST CAMP WOMEN, PROTEST CAMP WOMEN> rolleyes.gif

I've never heard them called that. It was always Peace camp. cool.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
12 User(s) are reading this topic (12 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:18 AM