Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Isn't WBC wonderful?
Berkshirelad
post Aug 1 2018, 10:14 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 271

I have today received a letter from WBC about paying an extra £50/year to have my green bin emptied of garden waste from 3rd September.

I make the following points (in no particular order):-

1) The website referred to in the letter to either subscribe or obtain answers to FAQ doesn't work they have started it www. when they should have used info. Use the link in the letter simply results in a not found response.

2) The main website still lists 01635 42400 as the main switchboard number - despite this being changed to 01635 551111. Not even a automated transfer is set up. Just a snarky message about the change.

3) It also clearly stated in the FAQ that even if you leave the area (or worse, die), there is no refund proportional or otherwise - I'm not sure that a commercial company would get away with this.

4) I will not be succumbing to this extortion (small amount or not, it is extortion) and having to find it a single payment may not be easy for anybody on a fixed or low income. Any garden waste will simply go into the black bin I guess...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 2 2018, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 1 2018, 11:14 PM) *
I have today received a letter from WBC about paying an extra £50/year to have my green bin emptied of garden waste from 3rd September.

I make the following points (in no particular order):-

1) The website referred to in the letter to either subscribe or obtain answers to FAQ doesn't work they have started it www. when they should have used info. Use the link in the letter simply results in a not found response.

2) The main website still lists 01635 42400 as the main switchboard number - despite this being changed to 01635 551111. Not even a automated transfer is set up. Just a snarky message about the change.

3) It also clearly stated in the FAQ that even if you leave the area (or worse, die), there is no refund proportional or otherwise - I'm not sure that a commercial company would get away with this.

4) I will not be succumbing to this extortion (small amount or not, it is extortion) and having to find it a single payment may not be easy for anybody on a fixed or low income. Any garden waste will simply go into the black bin I guess...

You would have thought the extra x thousand homes on the racecouse that must be generating millions of extra pounds in council tax would cover it. But hey I guess they must have built schools and doctors surgeries to cope with the extra demand....oh....

+Quote Post
newres
post Aug 2 2018, 08:46 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 2 2018, 08:39 AM) *
You would have thought the extra x thousand homes on the racecouse that must be generating millions of extra pounds in council tax would cover it. But hey I guess they must have built schools and doctors surgeries to cope with the extra demand....oh....

The extra thousands on the racecourse does bring in extra revenue, but it also brings in more people. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 2 2018, 09:05 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

fly tip. It's green waste it won't hurt anyone and it's the only way to send a message.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 2 2018, 12:21 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 2 2018, 10:05 AM) *
fly tip. It's green waste it won't hurt anyone and it's the only way to send a message.

Lots of people will be doing this. Or putting green waste in someones bim who has paid.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Aug 2 2018, 12:24 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 2 2018, 10:05 AM) *

One wonders how the law stands on tipping "garden" waste? Like you say it's not going to cause damage and is no different to the council leaving the grass cuttings behind. The one that tickled me was that we are retaining the green bin for food waste but will not have it emptied should we add green stuff. In other words I can put my peelings in but not an uncooked potato.
Wake me up when common sense returns. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 2 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Well, when we were kids, Dad kept all his prunings and cuttings in a heap until November 5, then with the neighbours, we'd build a collective bonfire on a bit of waste ground in the middle of the estate. Us kids happy with fireworks and baked spuds, Mum's happy because no tea to get, dads happy, nice blaze and a good few pints of home brew. Fun when the blue lights showed up and squirted water, but a day or so later Council came and removed debris and raked over what was left. job done!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Aug 2 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 2 2018, 04:58 PM) *
Well, when we were kids, Dad kept all his prunings and cuttings in a heap until November 5, then with the neighbours, we'd build a collective bonfire on a bit of waste ground in the middle of the estate. Us kids happy with fireworks and baked spuds, Mum's happy because no tea to get, dads happy, nice blaze and a good few pints of home brew. Fun when the blue lights showed up and squirted water, but a day or so later Council came and removed debris and raked over what was left. job done!

So you're suggesting that we pile up all our collective green waste in a convenient spot, say WBC's car park, and on a cold November night we chuck a match on it, after dowsing with a few gallons of 4 star, and await the fire brigade? This could catch on you know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 2 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 2 2018, 07:52 PM) *
So you're suggesting that we pile up all our collective green waste in a convenient spot, say WBC's car park, and on a cold November night we chuck a match on it, after dowsing with a few gallons of 4 star, and await the fire brigade? This could catch on you know.

We could make effigies of some of the eejits that came up with this nonsense and dance around the flames...

+Quote Post
betsy
post Aug 4 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 568

The NWN says that West Berkshire Council consulted with the residents? Does anyone know anyone who was consulted. Thought not!!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Aug 4 2018, 03:26 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (betsy @ Aug 4 2018, 03:37 PM) *
The NWN says that West Berkshire Council consulted with the residents? Does anyone know anyone who was consulted. Thought not!!

Of course there was a full consultation as usual, a shout round the WBC office, all those in favour sa aye! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
newres
post Aug 4 2018, 05:43 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Will the council pick up the surplus to requirements green bins?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 4 2018, 06:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (newres @ Aug 4 2018, 06:43 PM) *
Will the council pick up the surplus to requirements green bins?

Apparently not. Seems you can still use it gratis for 'food waste'. I'm holding on to mine because given the noise they are making, the LibDems will reverse the charge if they get a majority in next year's election.

I'm fortunate enough to have a reasonable garden, so I'm back to nice peaty November slow burns again.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 4 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 4 2018, 07:25 PM) *
Apparently not. Seems you can still use it gratis for 'food waste'. I'm holding on to mine because given the noise they are making, the LibDems will reverse the charge if they get a majority in next year's election.

I'm fortunate enough to have a reasonable garden, so I'm back to nice peaty November slow burns again.

Most of the green waste will end up in the environmenrt. Unfortunaltely some people will also chuck none green waste at the same time. And they may not have done so without the new charge.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 4 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

stick e lettuce leaf in the green bin and dump all garden waste in black bin. simples

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Aug 5 2018, 08:06 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Aug 4 2018, 08:35 PM) *
stick e lettuce leaf in the green bin and dump all garden waste in black bin. simples

According to the "small print" non contributors to the scheme will still have their green bin emptied of kitchen waste but not garden waste, and any such material found in said bin will not be removed. My question is are they not defaulting on removing my food waste even if it is contaminated by lawn mowings?
Or are they going to segregate at each property? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
betsy
post Aug 6 2018, 10:16 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 568

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Aug 4 2018, 04:26 PM) *
Of course there was a full consultation as usual, a shout round the WBC office, all those in favour sa aye! rolleyes.gif

They didn't shout loud enough then.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 6 2018, 12:02 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Isn’t this about trying to fill a funding gap?

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Aug 6 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 6 2018, 01:02 PM) *
Isn’t this about trying to fill a funding gap?

As the collection vehicle travels the same route whether it empties one bin or 20 then the saving is going to be minimal. The saving, if any, must be at the recycling plant and as most people will now be taking their waste to the Newtown road centre it is difficult to see how this equates. I can only surmise that the next trick up their sleeve will be to charge us for using that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 6 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 6 2018, 04:47 PM) *
As the collection vehicle travels the same route whether it empties one bin or 20 then the saving is going to be minimal. The saving, if any, must be at the recycling plant and as most people will now be taking their waste to the Newtown road centre it is difficult to see how this equates. I can only surmise that the next trick up their sleeve will be to charge us for using that.

It’s a money raiser, not a saver; to plug a funding gap.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:10 AM