Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Farepayer bus pass
Phil_D11102
post May 21 2013, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 846

My 13 year old son attends Trinity based on the catchement area even though the Kennet School is closer.

We currently pay 20 quid per month via standing order for him to catch the bus to school and back. If he attends an afterschool activity, we have to pick him up as there is no after school bus from the council. This is different than I am used to growing up in New York as the bus/train pass was good for certain hours of the day, only Monday - Friday.

We recently received a letter stating several main points:

We have to go on line to purchase a bus pass.

The zones have changed from:
- Zone A has changed to up to two miles from the school
- Zone B 2 to 6 miles
- Zone C beyond six miles

The cost now from Sept 2013 will be 420 pounds per year for zone B, as opposed to 210 pounds we were expecting to pay. Also, the buses will be smaller so less children will be allowed to purchase the bus pass. This means the chance of our son getting a bus pass has dropped to very low.

When I asked was there a consultancy period regarding this changed in council policy, the response was yes, they asked the schools to put the message out. When I asked why didn't the council contact those paying directly as they have a database on who pays instead of passing the buck, the council thought it be more appropriate the schools do it.

When asked what public bus my son would have to catch to go to his school, I was told he would have to catch one from Thatcham Broadway, which makes sense as the the Kennet school is then roughly another 10 minutes by foot from there.

While I appreciate the fact that at the end of the day it is the parents responsiblity to get there kids to school, it is not our decision which school it is. It is also not feasible to send a child across a very busy/dangerous road in the morning rush hour (A4) at one of it widest points in the dark, wet, cold winter. It is also stupidity to have more cars on the road as their is very little alternative as the bus service currently used is very heavily subscribed.

Only in West Berkshire do we see a smaller service for more money and the expectation that it is acceptable.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post May 21 2013, 05:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

To be fair, that sounds pretty crap.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 21 2013, 06:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Sorry Phil, can you explain why your son is not going to the closest school - you're saying this was the counci's decision and not yours?

£40/month is good value for a 3 mile commute. That said the school run causes traffic chaos and I feel that free school transport is a good way of getting an awful lot of cars off the road and would be a good use of public money.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 21 2013, 06:30 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 21 2013, 07:26 PM) *
Sorry Phil, can you explain why your son is not going to the closest school - you're saying this was the counci's decision and not yours?

He said it is because of his catchment area.

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 21 2013, 01:59 PM) *
My 13 year old son attends Trinity based on the catchement area even though the Kennet School is closer.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 21 2013, 06:36 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 21 2013, 07:30 PM) *
He said it is because of his catchment area.

That doesn't sound right. How far from Trinity do you live Phil?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 21 2013, 06:42 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 21 2013, 07:36 PM) *
That doesn't sound right. How far from Trinity do you live Phil?

...and Kennet School.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 21 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 21 2013, 07:42 PM) *
...and Kennet School.

Indeed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post May 21 2013, 07:48 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Both Trinity and Kennet schools are academies; they don't have catchment areas.

Nor, I think, does the LA have to provide transport

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 21 2013, 07:54 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Also Phil, how far from your house to the first bus stop inside the £20 zone to Trinity School? Would Phil Jnr. be able to walk to that stop rather than to the Broadway?

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post May 21 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I still think that the OP has a valid case, not being consulted on a contractual agreement...The council not clearly communicating with the people that pay for a service..

Sorry, Simon that seems to remind me of the time, when I was out for dinner with Craig David, he and I were discussing the curious case of the increased charges for ones Allotment... and the subsequent upset

Perhaps it was outside of your catchment areas.

I am not sure if things have changed, I left school in 2007, but there were definitely catchment areas then, and yes many parents had the same argument in regards to proximity to a school being put into their catchment area.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 21 2013, 08:11 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ May 21 2013, 08:59 PM) *
Sorry, Simon that seems to remind me of the time, when I was out for dinner with Craig David, he and I were discussing the curious case of the increased charges for ones Allotment... and the subsequent upset

I agree it's similar, but am I being any less than supportive? I've already said that I feel school transport should be free. I don't believe Phil has any contract with WBC and he has no right to any kind of subsidised bus service, so unlike the Allotment issue the council here are not behaving unlawfully, but it would appear from what Phil says that communications have not been brilliant. Working with what we've got I'm trying to see what options Phil has, and if Phil Jnr. has a 15 minute walk to a £20 bus stop that would seem to be a reasonable way forward. I'd also like to establish why Phil Jnr. is not going to the nearer school, and there would appear to be some inconsistency in that account so it would be good to resolve that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
user23
post May 21 2013, 08:22 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ May 21 2013, 08:48 PM) *
Both Trinity and Kennet schools are academies.
That's right. Neither are run by WBC any more.

A complete guess, but perhaps this being the case pupils no longer receive a subsidy for travel?

+Quote Post
motormad
post May 21 2013, 08:22 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

That is fine.
On balance, I walked to school basically every day and I never got hit by a bus once.

Also I drive along the A4 every morning to work and I've never seen a child be knocked over, they all follow the crowd and use the crossings.

I do not know exactly where the OP lives but I would guess in Thatcham somewhere, probably along the Bath Road or in one of the housing estates on the North side of the a4 near the Broadway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 21 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ May 21 2013, 08:48 PM) *
Both Trinity and Kennet schools are academies; they don't have catchment areas.

Nor, I think, does the LA have to provide transport

Not quite:

Admissions Policy 2013/14

Trinity School became an Academy in August 2012, however the admission arrangements for 2013/14 were determined when Trinity School was a Community School under West Berkshire Council control. Therefore all admission arrangements comply with those for Community or Voluntary Controlled Schools under West Berkshire Council.

"B. Catchment Area Pupils, i.e. Children whose permanent home address is in the school's designated catchment area (as shown on the maps in Appendices to the Parent’s Guides) and on the council’s website at: http://www.westberks.gov.uk/secondaryadmissions "

WBC Admission to Secondary Schools, Year 7

Trinity School admissions policy

Catchment areas for West Berkshire Schools

Usually a property will be within one Primary School and Secondary School catchment area, although in some cases School Catchment areas overlap.

Catchment areas are used for school admissions purposes. Applicants can apply for schools outside of the catchment area, but being resident in a particular catchment area is part of the over-subscription rules used to prioritise applicants if a school has more applications than places.

Please refer to the school admissions guide in which the over-subscription rules are explained for each school.

Trinity catchment area

Kennet catchment area

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 21 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Perhaps this is an example of what can happen when an LA fails to properly plan for an increased population from new developments! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 21 2013, 11:22 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

To answer the questions:

1. We live on Lower Way almost directly opposite the entrance to the Discovery Center.
2. Apparently we live just barely over 2 miles from Trinity School. Previously zone A was up to 3 miles, now it is only 2 miles.
3. I asked if my son can catch the bus from a zone A bus stop (bowling alley), and was told no because it's not the bus stop that they use to calculate the distance, it's the residence of the student.
4. We could of put Kennet Down as the first choice of school, but was told it was not likely as we are in the Trinity catchment area. Trinity is a good school and my son is doing well there. We will not remove him from the school based on the lack of public transport.
5. My son has been using the school bus for the past two years. There has been an increase in price, but to change the zones to and double the cost is not feasable when another school is closer. Let also remember that the bus will now be smaller so there will be less places. If there are less places on the buses, this means more children walking, which means more of an increase of a child getting hit by a car.

40 pounds is NOT good value for money if there is only 1 bus in the morning and 1 bus directly after school. Any afterschool activities such as sport or extra academics means we have to pick him up. This means instead of 5 round trips a week, it is only 4 round trips. Again, if the bus pass was used for a time period (8am to 5pm), then I may agree with you.

The explanation I received is that the council is working from central gov't guidelines. As for not communicating directly with the farepayers, well, that is just pure council passing the buck.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 22 2013, 06:54 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I always find it amazing that the very public servants who monitor and criticise the commercial sector for abysmal customer service are even worse when it comes to their own endeavours. Seems to me Phil D is simply arguing about the injustice of a massive fare hike, well above inflation.

Just imagine the squeaks that would come from our own MP if FGW even suggested doing that for commuter fares. The same sort of row they'd be having with the bus companies if public fares went up the same amount. Of course, 'the Council agreed' so its democratic but that's just tosh in this context. Its abysmal customer service, pure and simple.

So worth a stiff letter to our MP asking what the difference is between a customer of WBC and a customer of FGW.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Claude
post May 22 2013, 07:51 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

I appreciate the situation Phil, it does seem unfair, but can I ask one question.

Is your reluctance to letting your son walk or cycle to Trinity from Lower Way purely based on safety reasons, or do you believe it's a distance too far for your child to travel each and every day?

Assuming your son is 11, I'm not sure I would want mine to have to cross the A4 twice a day, however, there are multiple, safe, crossings along the route, and I believe there are even dedicated pedestrian/cycle paths for much of the way.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 22 2013, 08:40 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I appreciate there is a common theme that's coming out here. Why can't kids walk to school? All well and good, BUT this is 2013 not 1953, things have moved on. I'd certainly subscribe to the idea that ALL of us need to reduce our transport needs, for economic and sustainability reasons. However, when we start to see the teachers and more particularly their colleagues at the LEA taking a lead and leaving their cars at home I'd be a bit more supportive.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 22 2013, 08:58 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Claude, my son is 13, which to be honest is still too young to be walking or cycling for two miles in the cold and wet of winter. Sure there are "safe" crossings on the A4, but still I would prefer my child to be on a bus crossing that road than on foot.

I'd certainly subscribe to the idea that ALL of us need to reduce our transport needs, for economic and sustainability reasons.

I honestly thought using the transportation services provided by the council would reduce the number of cars on the road converging on Trinity School. Now it looks there will be more cars on the road.

I believe it would be fair to see a increase in the fare based on inflation. However, I don't see it fair to drop the distance band then double the charge, then to lay on smaller buses selling less seats.

What I see happening is those children who live in band A walking to school, and those further from the school having to pay more for a reduced service, if your lucky to get a seat.

And again, I think it was pretty crap that the council did not contact the parents directly, but placed this in the lap of the schools. I don't look to the school to provide information regarding transport, because they don't provide it, it is the council who provides it.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:55 AM