Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Future Development in West Berkshire.
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

In response to a question on another thread, I don't actually believe there will be a need for additional residential development for some time to come due to the fact that by the time of the election, we will be stuck with the decisions that have been made to date. That being said, we owe it to those land owners who wish to develop to listen to their ideas and if their is a need identified in the coming years or a proposal that will benefit the area, we owe it to them to have an open and honest discussion with residents to identify a development that would be acceptable in the future.

What I would support now is in areas where residents wish to have affordable housing and in some cases villagers have already bought land, the construction of housing that is both reasonably priced and allocated to people who have a natural affinity with those areas. If there are a couple of additional units sold at a higher price to help fund it, then the full council needs to make a common sense decision.

The immediate need in West Berks is infrastructure. Roads & Rail capacity, schools, medical services, policing and fire cover. All of the things that should have been in place first to accomodate growth, we are now going to have to do in hindsight. With everything running at or close to capacity, I just worry where the funding is coming from because there is a distinct lack of provision from the developers. Do we have full pressure water supply to all allocated and proposed developments??? I know that there isn't at Pincents Hill which is likely to get the green light in January. What about flood prevention??? Will West Berks be left to finish the roads within all of these developments??? Far too many questions which should have been answered a long time before any construction begins.

PS. I guarentee that the space ship design pavillion would not be built under Labour, and we will fight any attempts to give it permission before the election. We would rather see a similar building that is of similar size to the existing building which consists of a cafe and boat store. I think Victoria Park should be left to NTC, who have a superb vision for the park already.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 12 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 12 2010, 02:10 PM) *
In response to a question on another thread, I don't actually believe there will be a need for additional residential development for some time to come due to the fact that by the time of the election, we will be stuck with the decisions that have been made to date. That being said, we owe it to those land owners who wish to develop to listen to their ideas and if their is a need identified in the coming years or a proposal that will benefit the area, we owe it to them to have an open and honest discussion with residents to identify a development that would be acceptable in the future.

What I would support now is in areas where residents wish to have affordable housing and in some cases villagers have already bought land, the construction of housing that is both reasonably priced and allocated to people who have a natural affinity with those areas. If there are a couple of additional units sold at a higher price to help fund it, then the full council needs to make a common sense decision.

The immediate need in West Berks is infrastructure. Roads & Rail capacity, schools, medical services, policing and fire cover. All of the things that should have been in place first to accomodate growth, we are now going to have to do in hindsight. With everything running at or close to capacity, I just worry where the funding is coming from because there is a distinct lack of provision from the developers. Do we have full pressure water supply to all allocated and proposed developments??? I know that there isn't at Pincents Hill which is likely to get the green light in January. What about flood prevention??? Will West Berks be left to finish the roads within all of these developments??? Far too many questions which should have been answered a long time before any construction begins.

PS. I guarentee that the space ship design pavillion would not be built under Labour, and we will fight any attempts to give it permission before the election. We would rather see a rebuild of the existing building which consisted of a cafe and boat store. I think Victoria Park should be left to NTC, who have a superb vision for the park already.

So no actual plans then. Thought so.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

So rebuilding the infrastructure isn't needed then??? Should we just say "we'll build thousands more houses" like the Tories and the officers and just pile them on with no though to how we will accomodate them???

Danny, the reason people are annoyed is that we are some how approving all of this expansion with a) no thought to how we will support them b ) decisions are being railroaded through which go against the councils own strategy, which after a year would appear to be out of date looking at all of the proposed changes!!!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 12 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 12 2010, 02:21 PM) *
So rebuilding the infrastructure isn't needed then??? Should we just say "we'll build thousands more houses" like the Tories and the officers and just pile them on with no though to how we will accomodate them???

Danny, the reason people are annoyed is that we are some how approving all of this expansion with a) no thought to how we will support them b ) decisions are being railroaded through which go against the councils own strategy, which after a year would appear to be out of date looking at all of the proposed changes!!!

I'd suggest that people get annoyed about new housing is because they don't weant the green fields near them covered in houses.

But then where I live was freen fields until 10 years ago. The roads here cope just fine.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2010, 01:28 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

The interesting thing is that evenWest Berks have identified that all of the key services (including schools) are close to being full capacity. Yet they still allow new building. Unless of course departments don't actually speakm to each other.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2010, 01:46 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

You do live in West Berkshire, in England (Part of the UK) don't you???

Have you tried driving from Streat or Pangbourne to Reading at peak time?
Have you tried driving along the A4 from Hungerford to Reading at peak times?
Robin Hood roundabout at peak times???
Sainsbury's roundabout at peak time???

This is WITHOUT the thousands of extra houses that are proposed. Where will these people go to school??? See a doctor??? Go to the dentist???

Have you ever tried to get a doctors appointment recently??? In Kintbury it is TWO WEEKS!!! It's like living in the 80's all over again!!!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 12 2010, 02:34 PM) *
I Live in Newbury. So I can't comment on Pangbourne.

I do drive through town at rush hour As the RH is contolled by traffic lights the extra wait is only marginal & I allow for this. Are you suggesting that the A339 is widened to increae capacity? Ditto the A4?

Or are you suggesting Newbury & WBC cease all house builing entirely.

There are plenty of Dentists. You have to pay for them of course, but isn't that down to the dentists themselves? I have had no trouble in seeing my doctor when I need to.

Well if you don't have travel issues or problems getting a doctors appointment, you are definately a very lucky man. I will suggest an alternative in our manifesto once we have had a fair opputunity to get the information we need to complete it. But I'm not suggesting for one second that the A4 or the A339 be widened. But there is a better solution, as to how it can be paid for is another matter. I guess you are going to tell me your local school has lot's of spare places too???

The fact is that services and infrastructure are close to breaking point, look at the information on the West Berks website if you don't believe me. It's pretty well hidden, but if you need me to find it when I get home tonight let me know. We are now faced with a situation where everything needs rebuilt / replaced / expanded and we have nothing put by to do it. The current methods of madness are to build, build, build and then think of the consequences after. What I'm saying is that we should have had the foundations in place first. YES, we need more housing (and we should have protected the affordable elements). Yes, we need more employment areas (which seems to be the only thing West Berks won't build). But to build them with no regard as to how to integrate them with the existing infrastructure is irresponsible.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Oct 12 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

PS. I guarentee that the space ship design pavillion would not be built under Labour, and we will fight any attempts to give it permission before the election. We would rather see a similar building that is of similar size to the existing building which consists of a cafe and boat store. I think Victoria Park should be left to NTC, who have a superb vision for the park already.

There should be NO building in Victoria Park. There are currently buildings in Newbury such as the Corn Exchange, the NTC offices, the museum, and Greenham Park that could house an "art center". There is a lack of central green spaces in Newbury, and with this area on a direct train link to London, I would rather go to the museum's and art gallaries there on a day out with the family. How about using some of the money to fix up the facilites that are currently there, instead of building something that a small percentage of the population will be using.

If housing is to be built, make them affordable housing for essential workers.

The problems that West Berkshire face are no different than any other area in the U.K. How they are resolved is what will set the area apart.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 12 2010, 02:39 PM) *
Shocking decisions? Please elaborate, with your suggested alternative proposals had you been at the time a councillor.

I had some wanna be councillor knocking on my door some time back, at the time when the new tip was just about to be decided upon. When asked about it he came out with all the party crap about why the new site was a poor choice. Great I said. So where did he & his party suggest it was built? He had no answer. Being in opposition s fine, but you do have to have some solid alternatives.

Shocking decisions.

Park Way

It was no secret that Victoria Park is built on a marsh. Maybe the planning department could have identified the history of the land and established if there is any risk of disturbing the water table when construction began on Park Way.

Parking - See above. When it does open, will there be signage to other existing car parks???

Stores - Why were Park Way allowed to steal Debenhams from the Kennet Centre and why are they still tapping up other stores? Surely the point was to bring new and additional stores to town???

Racecourse

The issue is the fact that WBC have disgarded their own copnsultations and strategy after a matter of months, never mind the reduction in affordable housing.

Sandleford

Was the site selected because councillors were actively promoting it's inclusion. Surely members should have remained independent. Also, would a site closer to the A34 not have been more suitable???

Theale

Planning departments works with developers who apply. Members reject it due to public feeling. The next thing residents know, it's been approved on appeal through the back door with a reduced number of units.

Padworth Waste Facility

Hundred of extra vehicles will need to access Padworth each day. Where was the provision for this in the planning application??? Instead, the traffic must travel through the level crossing at Aldermaston station I believe, despite the fact that Aldermaston Parish council have come up with a relief road proposal in 2006.

Pincents Hill

The developer worked with officers to ensure it goes through on appeal (so they say), if it does it will leave questions to be answered on what sort of assistance was given. Nobody in the eastern area wants the development, and there are other sites that could be looked at. Instead, the developer has continued to arrogantly tell residents that it will go through on appeal, they've said it from day 1. How can that be ethical behaviour from a developer???

Retail

WBC turned away numerous supermarket companies who were willing to pay millions in s106 payments. They were turned away, and the next thing we know we get a new Tesco on the A4!!! Did they contribute anything???

There's a couple to start you off.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Oct 12 2010, 03:14 PM) *
There should be NO building in Victoria Park. There are currently buildings in Newbury such as the Corn Exchange, the NTC offices, the museum, and Greenham Park that could house an "art center". There is a lack of central green spaces in Newbury, and with this area on a direct train link to London, I would rather go to the museum's and art gallaries there on a day out with the family. How about using some of the money to fix up the facilites that are currently there, instead of building something that a small percentage of the population will be using.

If housing is to be built, make them affordable housing for essential workers.

The problems that West Berkshire face are no different than any other area in the U.K. How they are resolved is what will set the area apart.

The existing small building where the boats are kept etc. needs replacing. But outwith that, there would be no additional building. The toilet block near the park way development woul be converted to changing rooms and everything else would be spruced up. Only the skate park is expanding in size, ever so slightly.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 12 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 12 2010, 03:19 PM) *
Shocking decisions.

Park Way

It was no secret that Victoria Park is built on a marsh. Maybe the planning department could have identified the history of the land and established if there is any risk of disturbing the water table when construction began on Park Way.

Parking - See above. When it does open, will there be signage to other existing car parks???

Stores - Why were Park Way allowed to steal Debenhams from the Kennet Centre and why are they still tapping up other stores? Surely the point was to bring new and additional stores to town???

Racecourse

The issue is the fact that WBC have disgarded their own copnsultations and strategy after a matter of months, never mind the reduction in affordable housing.

Sandleford

Was the site selected because councillors were actively promoting it's inclusion. Surely members should have remained independent. Also, would a site closer to the A34 not have been more suitable???

Theale

Planning departments works with developers who apply. Members reject it due to public feeling. The next thing residents know, it's been approved on appeal through the back door with a reduced number of units.

Padworth Waste Facility

Hundred of extra vehicles will need to access Padworth each day. Where was the provision for this in the planning application??? Instead, the traffic must travel through the level crossing at Aldermaston station I believe, despite the fact that Aldermaston Parish council have come up with a relief road proposal in 2006.

Pincents Hill

The developer worked with officers to ensure it goes through on appeal (so they say), if it does it will leave questions to be answered on what sort of assistance was given. Nobody in the eastern area wants the development, and there are other sites that could be looked at. Instead, the developer has continued to arrogantly tell residents that it will go through on appeal, they've said it from day 1. How can that be ethical behaviour from a developer???

Retail

WBC turned away numerous supermarket companies who were willing to pay millions in s106 payments. They were turned away, and the next thing we know we get a new Tesco on the A4!!! Did they contribute anything???

There's a couple to start you off.

I would not call any of the above 'shocking'.

Tesco on the A4 have filled an empty eyesore of a building, and judging by the number of pople using it it was needed. The companies you allude to would have required much larger units, adding to the traffic which according to you our roads cannot cope with.

Parkway - when finished will be an asset to the town. It is unfortunate that it happens to be being built during a recession, but that is hardly the fault of the planning department. SL have faith in their investment - I do to.

That SL have offered Debenhams cash as an incentive to move is nothing to do with the planning dept. Many new developments, both commercial & residential offer incentives.

Sandleford is close to the A34 - it is just along the Newtown straight. Sandleford is also away from the A4, surely a good thing?

Theale was approved through the backdoor? A rather weighty allegation.

Padworth Waste - 100s of vehicles? Where do you suggest it be sited?

Racecourse - Pincents Hill - you agree more housing is needed? Wasn't it a Labour Govet that drew up the quotas? Afordable housing units who is paying for them? Who gets them? Should certain civil servants be given aid to buying a house anyway?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Danny you have a very different view to the regular people I speak to on door steps, parish councils and the like. Rose tinted spectacles???

If you are so confident that everything is above board, why object to a review???

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 12 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 12 2010, 04:30 PM) *
Danny you have a very different view to the regular people I speak to on door steps, parish councils and the like. Rose tinted spectacles???

If you are so confident that everything is above board, why object to a review???

Beacuse I believe that any incumbent administration would have made similar decisions.
Being on the outside, such as yourself, it is very easy to criticise. I don't believe a Labour controlled council would have made an iota of difference to the way development has progressed in West Berks. It is just political point scoring. Typical opposition -

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I don't know anyone who is against, the Parkway scheme.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I didn't say I was against it, it just hasn't been delivered properly and a lot of that stems from the planning process. I think the Park Way has potential to do very big things for Newbury. But surely there needs to be certain protection for the Kennet Centre otherwise we will have a nice empty building on our hands.

And I believe things would have been different. If Labour had members on the council, they would not bury there heads in the sand whilst officers run the show. We have produced a comprehensive manifesto for the local elections which is almost ready to be released. The Libs and the Tories have done nothing, they just expect to put their names down on the candidate list and people to vote for them. If one good thing comes out opf this election next year will be that Labour have put a viable alternative on the table. People can choose between that and what ever the tories do. Will anyone stick with the Libs??? Hopefully all of the parties will rise to the standard that we set with our campaign and there will be no complaints at the next election about some parties doing more than others in terms of campaigning.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 12 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 12 2010, 05:13 PM) *
I didn't say I was against it, it just hasn't been delivered properly and a lot of that stems from the planning process. I think the Park Way has potential to do very big things for Newbury. But surely there needs to be certain protection for the Kennet Centre otherwise we will have a nice empty building on our hands.

And I believe things would have been different. If Labour had members on the council, they would not bury there heads in the sand whilst officers run the show. We have produced a comprehensive manifesto for the local elections which is almost ready to be released. The Libs and the Tories have done nothing, they just expect to put their names down on the candidate list and people to vote for them. If one good thing comes out opf this election next year will be that Labour have put a viable alternative on the table. People can choose between that and what ever the tories do. Will anyone stick with the Libs??? Hopefully all of the parties will rise to the standard that we set with our campaign and there will be no complaints at the next election about some parties doing more than others in terms of campaigning.

Kennet centre is a business. I don't think any council should be protecting one business over another.
Will WBC be offering help to Robert Dyas now that Wilko has opened?

I can't see how Parkway could have been handled any differently. The old Parkway site was an eyesore full of old tired brick buildings & gravel car parks. There were one or two buildings that should have been incorporated into the new design, but architects can't do that kind of thing.

I can't wait for the Labour manifesto to land on my doormat.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I will deliver a copy personally!!!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 12 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 12 2010, 05:07 PM) *
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I don't know anyone who is against, the Parkway scheme.

I am, and I was praying SL would bottle it.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 12 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

The LDF was developed with a view to providing 10,500 new homes by 2025 - this was in response to a target set by the Labour government. In particular John Prescott's department was doing its utmost to increase house building massively because studies showed there was a major shortage of housing in the UK (no surprises there). The Con-Dem government has removed the target - but that doesn't mean they don't want the houses built.

A study has shown that we (the UK) need to build around 250,000 homes a year to meet the current demand. Another 250,000 a year would replace the existing housing stock at a rate of 1% per annum - ie if houses have a 100 year life (some do, many don't) we need to build 250,000 a year to stand still. Unless a government takes some serious measures to prevent population growth (which they won't) the need for housing will not go away.

We live in an area that is economically vibrant - so more people want to live here - hence the need for more houses. What alternative is there - persuade businesses to leave the area?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 12 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 12 2010, 05:07 PM) *

I am against it - too big, too high, too much. Nothing I have seen as it goes up has made me change my opinion. However, it is happening so there is not much point campaigning against it now.

I was against the cinema - thought it was an ghastly design when I first saw the plans and it's even worse now its built.

I am against the pavillion in the park - and will continue to object until they finally force it through or, hopefully, give in to common sense and abandon the idea.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 12 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 12 2010, 08:07 PM) *
I am against it - too big, too high, too much. Nothing I have seen as it goes up has made me change my opinion. However, it is happening so there is not much point campaigning against it now.

I was against the cinema - thought it was an ghastly design when I first saw the plans and it's even worse now its built.

I am against the pavillion in the park - and will continue to object until they finally force it through or, hopefully, give in to common sense and abandon the idea.

Same as that; to all of that!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:30 AM