> New posters
Biker1
post Jun 29 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (regor @ Jun 29 2010, 05:14 PM) *
Perhaps it is because there are many times when it seems like the forum is a semi-exclusive club dominated by a couple of dozen regulars who don't like newcomers who disagree with their set of fixed views on every topic. That was certainly my impression when I first took an interest in this forum.

I agree it can appear like that especially to a newcomer.

But the only way that can be broken, and opened up to a wider debate, is if newcomers contribute.
What is the point in registering if you do not intend to contribute? You do not have to register to view.

This is, after all, a debating forum so views will be disagreed with but I have not yet experienced, I do not believe, in anyone rebuking a newcomer as that would have the effect of destroying the whole point of this forum.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jun 29 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 29 2010, 08:02 PM) *
I agree it can appear like that especially to a newcomer.

But the only way that can be broken, and opened up to a wider debate, is if newcomers contribute.
What is the point in registering if you do not intend to contribute? You do not have to register to view.

This is, after all, a debating forum so views will be disagreed with but I have not yet experienced, I do not believe, in anyone rebuking a newcomer as that would have the effect of destroying the whole point of this forum.

Check out newbie Bill Kennicabs in the Newbury News category. He made a valid point, and OK his punctuation wasn't great, but his OP was understandable. Most of the following posts are taking the proverbial and rebuking him for punctuation. Not funny or nice.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 30 2010, 06:06 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jun 30 2010, 12:10 AM) *
Check out newbie Bill Kennicabs in the Newbury News category. He made a valid point, and OK his punctuation wasn't great, but his OP was understandable. Most of the following posts are taking the proverbial and rebuking him for punctuation. Not funny or nice.
This forum needs better moderation. Recent incidents will do nothing to encourage new people to air their views and as you suggest petty minded posts about punctuation also keep people from adding to it.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 30 2010, 07:22 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Hear hear, although it wouldn't surprise me if this phenomena of apparent membership reticence wasn't repeated on many other forums.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jun 30 2010, 08:56 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

I believe that the fact that so many people have join this Forum is a positive sign of it's relevants. I'm sure all of them read a selection of posts before joining and the fact that they don't choose to contribute could be down to many factors. Either they don't have the time to follow the posts trail, or they do not have an interest in the subjets presently being discussed or that they simply wish to observe rather than take part.
I'm sure that if they took exception to some of the posts then they would say so.
Either way the fact that the majority of members don't contribute does not distract from the interest and enthusiasm that the rest of us display and the fact that we often disagree is a positive outcome.
The more the merrier I say.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 30 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (user23 @ Jun 30 2010, 07:06 AM) *
This forum needs better moderation. Recent incidents will do nothing to encourage new people to air their views and as you suggest petty minded posts about punctuation also keep people from adding to it.

I agree, on my forums we wouldn't allow certain things and would immediately remove it; such as using your first name (unless it was ok). I noticed they commented on it but didn't move it (you name is still for all to see). I would imagine they don't remove such things as they get a big kick out of it.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 30 2010, 05:12 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Fair comment and as one of those I apologise although it has been played on me many times.

I was reticent about commenting on that which you describe but it was started by another.

I was NOT taking the proverbial - just commenting on posting technique which may have helped him to express himself better. Then, having thought about it, who am I to think that any style is worse or better than anyone else?

However that is no excuse and I take the point - no further comments on grammar!

But you have to be fairly thick skinned if you are going to air your views on an Internet forum as it is inevitable that many will disagree, sometimes passionately, on controversial subjects. (Football? sad.gif )

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jun 30 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 30 2010, 06:12 PM) *
Fair comment and as one of those I apologise although it has been played on me many times.

I was reticent about commenting on that which you describe but it was started by another.

I was NOT taking the proverbial - just commenting on posting technique which may have helped him to express himself better. Then, having thought about it, who am I to think that any style is worse or better than anyone else?

However that is no excuse and I take the point - no further comments on grammar!

But you have to be fairly thick skinned if you are going to air your views on an Internet forum as it is inevitable that many will disagree, sometimes passionately, on controversial subjects. (Football? sad.gif )

Takes a big man (or woman) to see anothers point of view Biker and not be blinkered. I think a thick is grown over time. First time I posted on a forum I was hesitant but the skin soon grew.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 1 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jun 30 2010, 07:32 PM) *
Takes a big man (or woman) to see anothers point of view Biker and not be blinkered. I think a thick is grown over time. First time I posted on a forum I was hesitant but the skin soon grew.

Quite right, if you intend to give it out you should be prepared to take it.
Also on an anonimous forum you should be prepared for members to be gatherig clues from your posts to try to identify personal data about you.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 1 2010, 09:07 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 1 2010, 09:00 AM) *
Quite right, if you intend to give it out you should be prepared to take it.
Also on an anonimous forum you should be prepared for members to be gatherig clues from your posts to try to identify personal data about you.

There's nothing wrong about that. In my view, it's when people use the forum to cast aspersions with unsubstantiated personal attacks it becomes unacceptable.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jul 1 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

Agreed. More often than not, threads on this forum end up going completely off the topic and usually end up slating someones punctuation, this isn't debate.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 1 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

Just wanted to say hello to you all. I used to post when the forum first started but I doubt any of the old regulars will remember me. My username used to be Amiebb. Have recognised quite a few old names but have not had chance to read through all posts properly yet. Is the guy who writes to the NWN every week, constantly moaning still here? Sorry, really can't remember your username considering I use to argue with you all the time! I suspect your still here though ohmy.gif)

Anyway, i'm back now and looking forward to getting back into debates and reading through the posts. x

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 1 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 1 2010, 10:48 AM) *
Just wanted to say hello to you all. I used to post when the forum first started but I doubt any of the old regulars will remember me. My username used to be Amiebb. Have recognised quite a few old names but have not had chance to read through all posts properly yet. Is the guy who writes to the NWN every week, constantly moaning still here? Sorry, really can't remember your username considering I use to argue with you all the time! I suspect your still here though!

Anyway, i'm back now and looking forward to getting back into debates and reading through the posts. x

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 1 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 1 2010, 10:48 AM) *
Just wanted to say hello to you all. I used to post when the forum first started but I doubt any of the old regulars will remember me. My username used to be Amiebb. Have recognised quite a few old names but have not had chance to read through all posts properly yet. Is the guy who writes to the NWN every week, constantly moaning still here? Sorry, really can't remember your username considering I use to argue with you all the time! I suspect your still here though ohmy.gif)

Why the new Username, the old one is still active?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 1 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 1 2010, 11:09 AM) *
Why the new Username, the old one is still active?

I couldn't remember my old password and when I got sent it my computer blocked the link to the forum through work) . I will probbaly be blocked again soon so making the most of it now.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 1 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 1 2010, 11:17 AM) *
I couldn't remember my old password and when I got sent it my computer blocked the link to the forum through work) . I will probbaly be blocked again soon so making the most of it now.

Let's hope so. wink.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 1 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 1 2010, 12:05 PM) *
Let's hope so. wink.gif

sad.gif

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jul 1 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 1 2010, 12:05 PM) *
Let's hope so. wink.gif

Not very charitable.
(perhaps I should have used a smiley. That's a bit like having feinites, excuses one from the game/forum comment or by starting a sentence with "With all due respect...." and then continuing with an insult.)

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 1 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I remember you Aimee - shopping trolleys right??

Nice to see you back on here.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 1 2010, 07:26 PM) *
I remember you Aimee - shopping trolleys right??

Nice to see you back on here.

Now I remember... I second what Strafin said.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:11 AM