2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Green Goblins, Newbury's 'Civil' Enforcement
munch
post Sep 11 2009, 07:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 324

I know that this has probably been discussed before, however after my recent present from the green goblins of Newbury I feel that this is an issue that needs to be raised again!

I must be honest I used to express little sympathy for those who had fallen foul to the attractive green notice attached to their cars but now my opinions have changed.

I have been parking in the same street for months and have never seen any signs indicating that this is a restricted street, when I left work yesterday I saw the lovely green notice attached to my car and actually felt a little sick inside!

I know that these guys are doing a job and do serve a purpose for those who feel it is acceptable to park dangerously, however my car was not causing any obstruction or danger to anyone!

I have lived in West Berkshire pretty much my whole life and actually feel a bit upset by this! If I had previously recieved a polite notice outling the parking restrictions on this area I would happy seek alternative arrangements for parking (although I do feel robbed by the charge of £1 per hour for parking in Newbury!)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 11 2009, 07:33 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Did the parking restrictions change recently? Would you say the notices for the restrictions are adequate or clear?

I do sympathise, as the penalty for a parking offence is often, in my view, disproportionate to the crime, but one must nowadays look for parking restrictions in all towns when parking. It would be rare to go to a town and have unrestricted parking.

In my view, these restrictions, along with other changes, are the unfortunate side of living in a small town that has aspirations to grow.

Parker beware.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 11 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (munch @ Sep 11 2009, 08:25 AM) *
I know that this has probably been discussed before, however after my recent present from the green goblins of Newbury I feel that this is an issue that needs to be raised again!

I must be honest I used to express little sympathy for those who had fallen foul to the attractive green notice attached to their cars but now my opinions have changed.

I have been parking in the same street for months and have never seen any signs indicating that this is a restricted street, when I left work yesterday I saw the lovely green notice attached to my car and actually felt a little sick inside!

I know that these guys are doing a job and do serve a purpose for those who feel it is acceptable to park dangerously, however my car was not causing any obstruction or danger to anyone!

I have lived in West Berkshire pretty much my whole life and actually feel a bit upset by this! If I had previously recieved a polite notice outling the parking restrictions on this area I would happy seek alternative arrangements for parking (although I do feel robbed by the charge of £1 per hour for parking in Newbury!)

Their is a new Sheriff in town and you just made his day punk. Munch - you are not wanted in Newbury as you have a car. I fortunately can walk to work so have no need for a car at the moment. I don't really want to become Counciller Betts latest 'victim'. However I suspect they might start putting tolls on using the pavements......

+Quote Post
munch
post Sep 11 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #4

Iommi,

there are no signs stating that there are parking restrictions as far as I could see, and seen I have been parking there since April and had never received a ticket I would presume that maybe the restrictions have change, however the road that i was parked on is not listed on the coucils website as a restrcited area, So I am a little confuse. i have sent in an appeal asking for some more information on this ticket so I am waiting to hear back. If i am supplied with sufficient evidence that clearly shows I was parked illegally I will pay the fine, however I do not feel that the evidence supplied on the ticket is sufficient enough!

Sorry it sounds like i'm havin a rant at you Iommi, but I'm not i'm just letting off steam!:-)

+Quote Post
munch
post Sep 11 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 11 2009, 09:23 AM) *
Their is a new Sheriff in town and you just made his day punk. Munch - you are not wanted in Newbury as you have a car. I fortunately can walk to work so have no need for a car at the moment. I don't really want to become Counciller Betts latest 'victim'. However I suspect they might start putting tolls on using the pavements......

Your right there is a new sherrif in town, and from what I have heard he is an egotistical idiot (not my words but words from his civil enforcement officers).

I only live in Thatcham and would happily catch the bus if the service was reliable and cheap enoug to use. West Berks seem to want the use of cars limited however they are not willing to provide suitable alternatives!

It wouldn't suprise me if they started putting tolls on the pavement either!

At this point I am extremely confused as to where my council tax is use?! maybe expenses?!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 11 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (munch @ Sep 11 2009, 08:25 AM) *

'Cause this time it was YOU that got caught!!

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Sep 11 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (munch @ Sep 11 2009, 09:40 AM) *
Iommi,

there are no signs stating that there are parking restrictions as far as I could see, and seen I have been parking there since April and had never received a ticket I would presume that maybe the restrictions have change, however the road that i was parked on is not listed on the coucils website as a restrcited area, So I am a little confuse. i have sent in an appeal asking for some more information on this ticket so I am waiting to hear back. If i am supplied with sufficient evidence that clearly shows I was parked illegally I will pay the fine, however I do not feel that the evidence supplied on the ticket is sufficient enough!

Sorry it sounds like i'm havin a rant at you Iommi, but I'm not i'm just letting off steam!:-)

Which road are you talking about?

I often park down West Mills and have noticed that there is no signs for some of the bits down there........which is weird. Difficult to explain exactly which bit but if you are coming from Hungerford direction there is a sign in front of Horsey Lightly Solicitors, then there is a permit area for about 6 or 7 spaces but then for the bit just before you turn right to go behind Iceland there is nothing and the same for the bit just afer. Then for the spaces by the canal railings there is another notice there. My worry the other day when I parked there was that if I left it too long the green meanies would get me and then claim I had missed something.

+Quote Post
munch
post Sep 11 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 11 2009, 12:25 PM) *
'Cause this time it was YOU that got caught!!

Actually your wrong! There is no sinage to suggest restricted sinage! That's my point! I'm one of few who can acutally admit when I'm wrong and on this occassion I think the ticket was unfair and unnecerssary!

+Quote Post
munch
post Sep 11 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Sep 11 2009, 12:35 PM) *
Which road are you talking about?

I often park down West Mills and have noticed that there is no signs for some of the bits down there........which is weird. Difficult to explain exactly which bit but if you are coming from Hungerford direction there is a sign in front of Horsey Lightly Solicitors, then there is a permit area for about 6 or 7 spaces but then for the bit just before you turn right to go behind Iceland there is nothing and the same for the bit just afer. Then for the spaces by the canal railings there is another notice there. My worry the other day when I parked there was that if I left it too long the green meanies would get me and then claim I had missed something.

I'm talking about behind the bus station. Even on WBC website this is not listed as a road that has parking restrictions!

To be honest the sinage in many of the restricted places seems to be fairly poor.

It's not the ticketing that annoys me it's the fact that the goblins are targeted on how many they issue, which therefore results in aggressive and unnescerssary tactics!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 11 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (munch @ Sep 11 2009, 12:58 PM) *
Actually your wrong! There is no sinage to suggest restricted sinage! That's my point! I'm one of few who can acutally admit when I'm wrong and on this occassion I think the ticket was unfair and unnecerssary!

If there is no signage or road markings then you are able to appeal and gain a refund of your penalty.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 11 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 11 2009, 01:43 PM) *
If there is no signage or road markings then you are able to appeal and gain a refund of your penalty.

which you could well end up losing and then having to fork out two hundred quid. The problem is that WBC handle their own appeals, if they think it's fair to get you in the first, they won't accept your appeal and then charge you for questioning them. They are not in the slightest bit interested in justice. Just money.

+Quote Post
Branston Pickle
post Sep 11 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 11 2009, 02:30 PM) *
which you could well end up losing and then having to fork out two hundred quid. The problem is that WBC handle their own appeals, if they think it's fair to get you in the first, they won't accept your appeal and then charge you for questioning them. They are not in the slightest bit interested in justice. Just money.

If the council reject your appeal, apparently there is something called the traffic penalty tribunal which you can then take your appeal to.

http://www.ticketfighter.co.uk/appeals.htm

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 11 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (munch @ Sep 11 2009, 01:01 PM) *
I'm talking about behind the bus station. Even on WBC website this is not listed as a road that has parking restrictions!
I could be wrong here, but isn't that a private road? I think the council own some of those properties to house people in social services care, or they did at one point.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 11 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 11 2009, 06:11 PM) *
I could be wrong here, but isn't that a private road? I think the council own some of those properties to house people in social services care, or they did at one point.

Think you are right. Seem to recall this area and to the station was to be redeveloped a little while back. Suspect recession has put paid to that for a while, so we ought to be thankful for small mercies that WBC have left the area intact whilst they are considering options - and not simply leaving it a pile of rubble; as some more progressive 'costal' councils I know.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Sep 11 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

If you're talking about Highfield Avenue then that is private road and the enforcement wardens should not be patrolling that road. I don't think there are any road markings or parking restrictions there anyway.. But I have to say that if you're parking (dumping your car) there then it's a bit inconsiderate isn't it? It's a private road and there's hardly any room for the residents to park, never mind you taking up the space on a private street... The fact that you've been parking there for years probably means you've been pi$$ing off the residents there for years

It's not the ticketing that annoys me it's the fact that the goblins are targeted on how many they issue, which therefore results in aggressive and unnescerssary tactics!
Aggresive?? Are you sure? What sort of 'aggression' have you seen?

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 11 2009, 02:30 PM) *
You're talking out your hoop.... Where did you get the £200 figure from? If you appeal within 14 days and win there is of course nothing to pay. If your appeal is rejected another 14 days will be given to pay the penalty charge notice at the discounted rate. (It would probably take a couple of weeks for the council to investigate your appeal and get back to you anyway....) If you still contest the legality of the ticket you can take your appeal further up the chain to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT).http://www.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/site/index.php

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 12 2009, 08:16 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Sep 11 2009, 11:33 PM) *
You're talking out your hoop.... Where did you get the £200 figure from? If you appeal within 14 days and win there is of course nothing to pay. If your appeal is rejected another 14 days will be given to pay the penalty charge notice at the discounted rate. (It would probably take a couple of weeks for the council to investigate your appeal and get back to you anyway....) If you still contest the legality of the ticket you can take your appeal further up the chain to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT).http://www.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/site/index.php

I'm no talking out my "hoop" (?), I've been through the process, if you appeal and lose there is costs to pay (even though technically the council don't incur any as they have full time staff in place deaing with this anyway), so it's the full cost, plus all the extras. Mine personally amounted to £213, I haven't been down the avenue of the TPT because the judge advised I didn't take it further, but I also wasn't aware of it. This happened very recently so I will look into it.

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 12 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 12 2009, 09:16 AM) *
I'm no talking out my "hoop" (?), I've been through the process, if you appeal and lose there is costs to pay (even though technically the council don't incur any as they have full time staff in place deaing with this anyway), so it's the full cost, plus all the extras. Mine personally amounted to £213, I haven't been down the avenue of the TPT because the judge advised I didn't take it further, but I also wasn't aware of it. This happened very recently so I will look into it.
Isn't this because you refused to pay and were taken to court?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 12 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Now I know this is going to sound self sanctimonious but I have lived in the Newbury area for many years and have never received a parking ticket in Newbury or anywhere else.

All you have to do is follow the rules whether paying in a car park or parking in the street and you will not receive a penalty.

I don't understand what all this griping is about "over zealous" Green Goblins.

Follow the rules and you won't get caught.

Same throughout life.

Is it suggested that Newbury becomes a free for all with regard to parking?
If not where do you draw the line?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 12 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 12 2009, 11:44 AM) *
Now I know this is going to sound self sanctimonious but I have lived in the Newbury area for many years and have never received a parking ticket in Newbury or anywhere else.

All you have to do is follow the rules whether paying in a car park or parking in the street and you will not receive a penalty.

I don't understand what all this griping is about "over zealous" Green Goblins.

Follow the rules and you won't get caught.

Same throughout life.

Is it suggested that Newbury becomes a free for all with regard to parking?
If not where do you draw the line?

Yes you do sound sanctimonious, wait till you get one and see how you feel then. Like the original poster said, he was following the rules and still got one.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 12 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 12 2009, 11:51 AM) *
Yes you do sound sanctimonious, wait till you get one and see how you feel then.

I think I'll have a long wait!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:05 AM