> A339 Access Road - Public Meeting
On the edge
post Dec 15 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/action-...cess-road-plans

A local business man, clearly frustrated by a lack of useful information has stepped up to the plate and called a public meeting. He's not at all negative about the proposal, of the development, or indeed the Council....he just wants information!

WBCs response is interesting although frankly not surprising. It seems this is a long term development over 10 years (more than two elections!) and a partnership between the Commercial developer and the Council. It appears that the Chief Executive was 'getting round to holding a public meeting'.

That's great isn't it? Democracy! but not as we know it.

(Is there any point in having Councillors?)

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 15 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

West Berkshire Council project manager for the London Road Industrial Estate regeneration, Bill Bagnell, said: “This journey, which will start in January, is going to be 10 years plus.

“Everything you are asking will be revealed by St Modwen. It’s their strategic journey, in partnership with us.”

Journey?? Gah!!

Who is St Modwen? I am guessing she is the patron saint of local councils. I look forward to the Revelation of St Modwen. And wish her a pleasant journey.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 15 2014, 03:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 15 2014, 03:27 PM) *
Who is St Modwen? I am guessing she is the patron saint of local councils. I look forward to the Revelation of St Modwen. And wish her a pleasant journey.

Very large building / development company.
I thought you might of had shares in them?? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 15 2014, 05:11 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

.....and it all goes to demonstrate what a complete and utter waste of money local Councillors are!

I'm sure the developer is quite competent and the plans they will submit will be practical and workable. This time local input will be dealt with via a public meeting, run by professional administrators. It would be far better of course if those administrators had some competence in planning; something a national agency is likely to bring.

Bye bye WBC!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Dec 15 2014, 06:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 15 2014, 05:11 PM) *
.....and it all goes to demonstrate what a complete and utter waste of money local Councillors are!

I'm sure the developer is quite competent and the plans they will submit will be practical and workable. This time local input will be dealt with via a public meeting, run by professional administrators. It would be far better of course if those administrators had some competence in planning; something a national agency is likely to bring.

Bye bye WBC!

If it all goes as usual then WBC will only do as told by the developer anyway! rolleyes.gif

No thought will be given to the chaos that another set of lights will cause on the A339.
Last Saturday apparently it took 50 minutes to get from Shaw to the Retail Park roundabout?
Just think how long with another set of lights holding traffic up? unsure.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 15 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Dec 15 2014, 06:07 PM) *
If it all goes as usual then WBC will only do as told by the developer anyway! rolleyes.gif

No thought will be given to the chaos that another set of lights will cause on the A339.
Last Saturday apparently it took 50 minutes to get from Shaw to the Retail Park roundabout?
Just think how long with another set of lights holding traffic up? unsure.gif

And Sandelford, Race course, etc, populated.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 15 2014, 07:50 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 15 2014, 03:20 PM) *
Very large building / development company.
I thought you might have had shares in them?? tongue.gif

Why would you think that? Never heard of them.

Anyway, I have people to handle my investments. smile.gif

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Dec 15 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 15 2014, 10:54 AM) *
It appears that the Chief Executive was 'getting round to holding a public meeting'.

That's great isn't it? Democracy! but not as we know it.

(Is there any point in having Councillors?)

No doubt he will have the meeting in the daytime when those adversely affected will be at work. Can we on get rid of Nick and his pet vision to get Newbury much larger so he can have a good pay rise?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 15 2014, 10:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Dec 15 2014, 07:07 PM) *

Looks like we will need another by-pass!
You know, just like the one we already have that was supposed to solve all Newbury's traffic problems! (or that's how it was sold to us) laugh.gif

+Quote Post
r.bartlett
post Jan 7 2015, 11:29 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,636

Industrial estate access road faces no opposition from Newbury councillors

So this has been waved through without a hitch.. Well done everybody

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 7 2015, 11:47 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (r.bartlett @ Jan 7 2015, 11:29 AM) *

I could have voted I suppose, but nah, I mean, that's me being democratic about it.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jan 7 2015, 11:47 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (r.bartlett @ Jan 7 2015, 11:29 AM) *

What were you expecting then? blink.gif

WBC own the land NTC only does as it is told by big brother and local traffic chaos does not matter and of course most importantly the developer wants it so it has to be doesn't it.
I hope they inform any purchaser of the homes that they are proposing to build that at certain times it make take them a seriously long time to get out from the estate and that on race weekends they may not be able to get in or out! rolleyes.gif
So long as they don't start making parking charges for the more or less static traffic on most days on the A339 though! rolleyes.gif

Another reason to avoid Newbury? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
r.bartlett
post Jan 7 2015, 12:05 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 7 2015, 11:47 AM) *
I could have voted I suppose, but nah, I mean, that's me being democratic about it.

we do not have compulsory voting -yet- so not voting is also exercising a right..

--------------------

+Quote Post
r.bartlett
post Jan 7 2015, 12:08 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Jan 7 2015, 11:47 AM) *
What were you expecting then? blink.gif

WBC own the land NTC only does as it is told by big brother and local traffic chaos does not matter and of course most importantly the developer wants it so it has to be doesn't it.
I hope they inform any purchaser of the homes that they are proposing to build that at certain times it make take them a seriously long time to get out from the estate and that on race weekends they may not be able to get in or out! rolleyes.gif
So long as they don't start making parking charges for the more or less static traffic on most days on the A339 though! rolleyes.gif

Another reason to avoid Newbury? rolleyes.gif

i wasn't commenting either way as I avoid that area most of the time being a local 'n all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 7 2015, 12:19 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (r.bartlett @ Jan 7 2015, 12:08 PM) *
i wasn't commenting either way as I avoid that area most of the time being a local 'n all.

Intrigued to know how you avoid that area, since it's the only north-south route now that the Park Way bridge is closed and the town centre is closed to traffic during the day.

The only alternative would be a massive detour out to Hambridge Road on the A4 and back.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 7 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 7 2015, 12:19 PM) *
Intrigued to know how you avoid that area, since it's the only north-south route now that the Park Way bridge is closed and the town centre is closed to traffic during the day. The only alternative would be a massive detour out to Hambridge Road on the A4 and back.

That is the crux of the whole matter. When the Racecourse developers manage to get a bridge over the railway then at least there will be a way through from the development and presumably the racecourse to Hambridge Road and the A4 junction. At least that may reduce traffic on the A339 through town especially on race days. Not sure what the overall traffic management plan is for that area but it could become an Eastern relief Road. That's if there is a plan of course.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jan 7 2015, 04:35 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 7 2015, 01:37 PM) *
That is the crux of the whole matter. When the Racecourse developers manage to get a bridge over the railway then at least there will be a way through from the development and presumably the racecourse to Hambridge Road and the A4 junction. At least that may reduce traffic on the A339 through town especially on race days. Not sure what the overall traffic management plan is for that area but it could become an Eastern relief Road. That's if there is a plan of course.

Traffic Management, plans???? blink.gif This is Newbury remember they don't do plans only follow orders from Developers! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 7 2015, 06:58 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 7 2015, 01:37 PM) *

The plan is to prevent the road through the development becoming a through route from Stroud Green to Hambridge Road - I believe they plan to put bollards in to prevent such use. All the bridge will do is feed more traffic into the most congested road in the town. The new bridge won't offer any relief whatsoever.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jan 7 2015, 07:10 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 7 2015, 06:58 PM) *
The plan is to prevent the road through the development becoming a through route from Stroud Green to Hambridge Road - I believe they plan to put bollards in to prevent such use. All the bridge will do is feed more traffic into the most congested road in the town. The new bridge won't offer any relief whatsoever.

Though it will give us some more bollards to talk about, so it's not all bad.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 8 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 7 2015, 06:58 PM) *

Ah, I see the council plan here. Similar one to the Parkway bridge Build it, illuminate it at night, but make sure nobody drives over it. Traffic management at its best and what we, as a vibrant town with a 2025 vision, can only hope for.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:34 PM