Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sunday Times - Best places to live
Mr Brown
post Oct 2 2017, 01:19 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,072

Anyone see the Sunday Times article on Newbury this week? I thought it pretty bland. Also, rather ironic in that the things being suggested as the biggest benefits were the very things many in Newbury complain bitterly about. Such as the new shopping development and the many restaurants and coffee houses in town. Frankly, didn't seem as if there was much worth saying.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 2 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Oct 2 2017, 02:19 PM) *
Anyone see the Sunday Times article on Newbury this week? I thought it pretty bland. Also, rather ironic in that the things being suggested as the biggest benefits were the very things many in Newbury complain bitterly about. Such as the new shopping development and the many restaurants and coffee houses in town. Frankly, didn't seem as if there was much worth saying.

Good a reason of any not to buy the Sunday Times . Most towns consist now of charity shops or coffee outlets .

The future is " browney " , or whatever colour you like your caffeine . wink.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 2 2017, 06:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Oct 2 2017, 03:28 PM) *
Good a reason of any not to buy the Sunday Times . Most towns consist now of charity shops or coffee outlets .

The future is " browney " , or whatever colour you like your caffeine . wink.gif

Sorry, can't say that, it's racist and imperialist. Apparently.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 3 2017, 04:58 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 2 2017, 07:11 PM) *
Sorry, can't say that, it's racist and imperialist. Apparently.

I think someone needs tp produce and regularly update a list of "things you cannot say".
I am finding it increasingly harder to comply.
Apparently you cannot say BC (Before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini) any more! Now has to be BCE or ACE (Before / After Common Event) !!
Might "offend" other religions! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
newres
post Oct 3 2017, 05:26 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 3 2017, 05:58 AM) *
I think someone needs tp produce and regularly update a list of "things you cannot say".
Apparently you cannot say BC (Before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini) any more! Now has to be BCE or ACE (Before / After Common Event) !!

I think that's fake news.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 3 2017, 06:54 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 3 2017, 05:58 AM) *

A reference I don’t often have to use where I live and work.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 3 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Does seem somewhat perverse that I can say what I like about who I like on "social media " with little chance of being reprimanded , yet an insignificant , ( no slur intended ) , local forum imposes a curb on adjectives , nouns etc with , dare I say , gay abandon .
Just glanced at the following
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j...cIm5UpVv4Eo7DNa

Well thats cleared that one up . rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 3 2017, 03:46 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (newres @ Oct 3 2017, 06:26 AM) *
I think that's fake news.

I hope you're right but I believe not.
Was in The Mail so I have avoided that predicting the common response but here is another reference.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 3 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

"Treason including advocating for the abolition of the monarchy"

Puts an interesting slant on Labours call to abolish the monarchy. Jeremy ? Treasonous ? Shoorly not!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 3 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 3 2017, 06:06 PM) *
"Treason including advocating for the abolition of the monarchy"

Puts an interesting slant on Labours call to abolish the monarchy. Jeremy ? Treasonous ? Shoorly not!

Far from abolishing our Germanic "happy" family how about putting the King / Queen back in charge ? The Palace of Westminster is on the point of collapse anyway so why waste £millions on rendering when that money could go on good cause such as a train to take our new leader to the other end of the Country in an hour and a half , and the building used to house those who have suddenly become unemployed.
I like the idea of an autocracy . Only one person to blame , one salary , only one to assassinate . Yes , lot of positives . wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 10 2017, 07:29 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Our Queen (whilst popular) is a queen of abstinence. She does very little in terms of governance and leadership, she is basically a charity figurehead. It's impossibe to tell if there is a financial benefit to having her and all the hangers on, and I am sure the tourists come to see the palaces as she doesnt really come out for them. Hello by the way, not posted for a while and just fancied an argument wink.gif

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 10 2017, 08:29 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 10 2017, 08:29 AM) *
Our Queen (whilst popular) is a queen of abstinence. She does very little in terms of governance and leadership, she is basically a charity figurehead. It's impossibe to tell if there is a financial benefit to having her and all the hangers on, and I am sure the tourists come to see the palaces as she doesnt really come out for them. Hello by the way, not posted for a while and just fancied an argument wink.gif

Argument ? On here ? Must be on the wrong forum . rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Oct 10 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 10 2017, 08:29 AM) *

Even though it would seem popular and save a lot of money we still have the House of Lords and that ought to be easier to get rid of so I can't see the Royals going anytime soon.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 11 2017, 08:14 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (The Hatter @ Oct 10 2017, 10:10 PM) *
Even though it would seem popular and save a lot of money we still have the House of Lords and that ought to be easier to get rid of so I can't see the Royals going anytime soon.

I consider the Lords a better proposition than the Commons . Admittedly they tend to act as individuals and not the collective good but at least they behave in a "civilised " manner .
Those who would depose the monarchy please observe the USA . President Corbyn ? Thought not .

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Oct 11 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Oct 11 2017, 09:14 AM) *
I consider the Lords a better proposition than the Commons . Admittedly they tend to act as individuals and not the collective good but at least they behave in a "civilised " manner .
Those who would depose the monarchy please observe the USA . President Corbyn ? Thought not .

They seem to concentrate on single issues of little importance and we are told that they often just turn up to collect their fee. Most of them these days are failed MPs looking for an easy pension.

+Quote Post
newres
post Oct 11 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Oct 11 2017, 09:14 AM) *

You're getting confused - a president would be a separate role from PM and in all likelihood mostly ceremonial/ambassadorial I'd think. Besides, better Corbyn than President Boris.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 11 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ Oct 11 2017, 03:04 PM) *
You're getting confused - a president would be a separate role from PM and in all likelihood mostly ceremonial/ambassadorial I'd think. Besides, better Corbyn than President Boris.

Corbyn??? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 11 2017, 05:33 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Oct 11 2017, 03:04 PM) *

You think ? Surely that is the whole point . If we become a republic which model would we adopt ? The French have a pretty democratic system but intrinsically flawed . Russia has an autocracy and the USA has Trump.
No I'm quite happy to donate a chunk of my pension to keep history going and a roof over HM because there is no viable alternative .
Anyway , according to Karl Marx , there is only one thing that will enthuse the British to revolt and it's not this .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Oct 11 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Oct 11 2017, 06:33 PM) *
You think ? Surely that is the whole point . If we become a republic which model would we adopt ? The French have a pretty democratic system but intrinsically flawed . Russia has an autocracy and the USA has Trump.
No I'm quite happy to donate a chunk of my pension to keep history going and a roof over HM because there is no viable alternative .
Anyway , according to Karl Marx , there is only one thing that will enthuse the British to revolt and it's not this .

Rents, Sir William, rents and it wasn't all the British, just the Tories.

+Quote Post
newres
post Oct 12 2017, 11:22 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Oct 11 2017, 06:33 PM) *

The queen has no power so why should a president be any different? It would be like a mayor if we actually needed one at all. She's just a spare part really.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:37 PM