Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dates!
JMH
post Jun 16 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 133

Come on Newbury Today, get your dates in the right format on your home page and news page! We are British not American!

rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 16 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (JMH @ Jun 16 2009, 09:18 AM) *
Come on Newbury Today, get your dates in the right format on your home page and news page! We are British not American!

rolleyes.gif

They are probably using American software laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 17 2009, 08:00 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 16 2009, 12:47 PM) *
They are probably using American software laugh.gif

As I said a long time ago here replying to a similar post. No "probably" - look at the bottom of the page: "IPS, Inc.". With most forum software, there is a way to set how you want dates and times displayed in your personal profile, but not with IP Board, apparently.

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jun 17 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 17 2009, 09:00 AM) *
As I said a long time ago here replying to a similar post. No "probably" - look at the bottom of the page: "IPS, Inc.". With most forum software, there is a way to set how you want dates and times displayed in your personal profile, but not with IP Board, apparently.

It's not the dates on the forum that are displayed incorrectly, as I said in my initial post, it is the dates on the NT home page and other main pages. This has only just changed. Other dates displayed around the pages are correct, it's when you scroll down to more news that they are wrong. huh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 17 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 17 2009, 09:00 AM) *

I run two forums and you can change the dates on the boards.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jun 17 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

Some people would say 'get a life'.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Jun 17 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

lol Gumbo, but i think u may be asking for trouble there wink.gif

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
AmieB
post Jun 17 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Jun 17 2009, 11:54 AM) *

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 17 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Jun 17 2009, 11:54 AM) *

To some people this is "life.".

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jun 17 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 17 2009, 01:15 PM) *
To some people this is "life.".

Well honestly, quibbling over date and time format is right up there with looking for typos in newspapers and train spotting IMO. Each to their own I suppose cool.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 17 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Jun 17 2009, 01:49 PM) *
Well honestly, quibbling over date and time format is right up there with looking for typos in newspapers and train spotting IMO. Each to their own I suppose cool.gif

I agree... but if they didn't have it they would be bored and probably end up doing something really outrageous; like having a life. laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 17 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 17 2009, 02:55 PM) *
I agree... but if they didn't have it they would be bored and probably end up doing something really outrageous; like having a life. laugh.gif wink.gif

At the risk of being told to "get a life" (and what counts as abusive in the T&C's, I wonder?*), I've now seen what the OP means - he's complaining about the all-digit format being used at the bottom of the home page. It's ambiguous, and needs fixing. And no, I've never been a trainspotter, but I have spent a lifetime in computing where such things matter (but agree that in this case it's not particularly serious - just annoying).

* I suppose if I complained I was told to get a life, I'd be told to get a life smile.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 17 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 17 2009, 04:57 PM) *
At the risk of being told to "get a life" (and what counts as abusive in the T&C's, I wonder?*), I've now seen what the OP means - he's complaining about the all-digit format being used at the bottom of the home page. It's ambiguous, and needs fixing. And no, I've never been a trainspotter, but I have spent a lifetime in computing where such things matter (but agree that in this case it's not particularly serious - just annoying).

* I suppose if I complained I was told to get a life, I'd be told to get a life smile.gif

Hi Jeff,

I am sure you've got a good sense of humour my friend and anything that was said, was said in jest. I suppose one way or another we all have been told to get "a life". However, the life I would like would entail me first to win the lottery.... otherwise this is it!!! laugh.gif wink.gif

All the best,

Glenn

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 17 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Jun 17 2009, 01:49 PM) *

The old "Trainspotting" jibe eh?

I am a rail enthusiast and I find that comment offensive.

With all the delinquents / crime around in the country today why is it always us that are picked on?

Just go and see how many turn up tomorrow evening to see "Tornado" pass through Newbury if you think it is a minority interest for weirdos

(Yes I am married, have 2 kids, friends, wash regularly and do not own an anorak)

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 18 2009, 09:54 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 17 2009, 11:52 PM) *

With all the delinquents / crime around in the country today why is it always us that are picked on?

Just go and see how many turn up tomorrow evening to see "Tornado" pass through Newbury if you think it is a minority interest for weirdos

(Yes I am married, have 2 kids, friends, wash regularly and do not own an anorak)

If you love trains so much why did you call yourself Biker? Why not something like trainspotter?

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jun 18 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 17 2009, 11:52 PM) *

To go to the station to see a new steam train come through.......fairly interesting......not my bag.......but fairly interesting. To go to the station and sit for hours scribbling the numbers of the naff pieces of sh*t that ferry us commuters to and from work (and let me tell you these things that FGW call trains are awful, especially at this time of year when the windows are fixed closed to allow the air conditioning to work but unfortunately those air conditioning systems have not worked for donkeys years) as a hobby................well lets just say I don't get it.

As for the time/date on this forum.........does it really matter to people? TBH I still haven't even bothered to look to see what the original poster was on about. I just chuckled and thought i'd comment when I saw somebody had bothered to start a thread about it.

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jun 18 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Jun 18 2009, 11:02 AM) *
As for the time/date on this forum.........does it really matter to people? TBH I still haven't even bothered to look to see what the original poster was on about. I just chuckled and thought i'd comment when I saw somebody had bothered to start a thread about it.

Gumbo,

Please do not belittle others on this forum. Who is the saddest, the person (i.e. me!) who placed the original post, or you, someone who is still giving their 2 pennorth many replies later? wink.gif

F.Y.I yes, the date format does matter. How else do we differentiate between 4th July (4/7) and 7th April (7/4) for example?

J

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 18 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

The date format is important for the reason stated. It would have also been an oversight and I see no reason to not mention it. I hope this forum, now that we have been given real time usage privileges, doesn't turn into just another slag-fest of people with bigger egos than tangible argument (this is not pointing at anyone in particular).

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jun 18 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 18 2009, 12:42 PM) *
The date format is important for the reason stated. it would have also been an oversight and I see no reason to not mention it. I hope this forum, now that we have been given real time usage privileges, doesn't just turn into another slag-fest of people with bigger egos than tangible argument (this is not pointing at anyone in particular).

Hear hear! smile.gif I completely agree with you.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jun 18 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JMH @ Jun 18 2009, 12:30 PM) *
Gumbo,

Please do not belittle others on this forum. Who is the saddest, the person (i.e. me!) who placed the original post, or you, someone who is still giving their 2 pennorth many replies later? wink.gif

F.Y.I yes, the date format does matter. How else do we differentiate between 4th July (4/7) and 7th April (7/4) for example?

J

I normally use a calendar if I want to double check the date but if you use the Newbury Today Forum pages then I apologise wholeheartedly.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:44 PM