> Newbury Buses
Biker1
post Jul 20 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

Blame BR (government) in the late 50's.

You may have got a better service if they hadn't closed the Lambourn Valley Railway!!! tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Branston Pickle
post Jul 21 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 20 2009, 10:44 PM) *
Oxford is also good.

This day and age we should be having electronic time tables giving the the expected arrival time, or some kind of online sat nav view so one could see where it is and decide for them selves, but buses are an old solution to an old problem. Nobody wants them other than those with no choice.

Some of the bus stops in Thatcham have now got these electronic timetables, although the places that really should have them (Northbrook Street and the bus station) don't.

I think buses are more relevant in big cities, where the higher passenger numbers justify having more frequent timetables, which in turn makes them more attractive to as a means of travel. The trouble with buses in Newbury is that passenger numbers are not high enough to allow a higher frequency, which in turn pits people off travelling by bus. It's a catch 22 really.

+Quote Post
Anon
post Jul 21 2009, 01:05 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 113

The bus service around here is the worst I have ever experienced! i only live in Thatcham, but will always use my car to come in to town!

I live in Brighton for 4 years where the service was excellent, you never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a bus, and they were really cheap.

I know that it is difficult to implement the same kind of service in a vastly smaller town, however I used to use the buses regularly but found them expensive, overcrowded and the staff very rude (they obviously need some training in customer service!).

If Newbury wants to become a successful town, with the new shopping centre, cinema etc then the public transport needs to be vastly improved.

In any other european country I have visited, the public trasport has been cheap, clean and relaible...maybe we need to take a leaf out of their book!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:52 PM