Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doctors Appointments
AmieB
post Jun 22 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 44

Is it just me or is getting an appointment at your doctors like getting blood out of a stone?
Ill try and cut a long story short my son was very ill last Monday, I managed to get an app at my doctors after begging them to be seen. They diagnosed a rash and he was over heated. Sent me away with some cream and told me to see how he is in 1 week. Come Thursday he was no better so 1st thing Fri I phoned and said i need to see a doctor please. They told me they were too busy and had been told by the doctors to take messages, and someone would ring me. 1hour later the doctor rings me, I explain he has a fever and looks in pain but i need someone to see him. I was told to get some Ibrophren and give him that as well as Calpol. Was told to see how he is over the weekend. I was not happy but doctors know best dont they? Anyway Friday night he was worse and in the morning his hands and feet went blue, he had a fever. I phoned newdocs who said a doctor would call me right back. 40 mins later they call back and give me a ref number for the hospital. Get to the hospital and wait 1hr 10mins to be seen. Get told my son has conjunctivitus, throat infection, swollen glands, a fever, and exzema. The doctor said i should never had been told to give him Ibrophren as well as Calpol for what condition my son was in. He immediatly gave me a perscription for Antibiotics and a different cream for his face and body. Over the weekend he is 10000000% better compared to Friday. If I had been able to see a doctor on Friday he would not have had to suffer the way he did. I am disgusted that I allowed this to happen. I pay my tax and NI and cant even get an app for a young child (18months).

I wont mention which surgery it is, but how does everyone else find their doctors?
I know they are busy, and I appreciate that, but surely if a child is ill they should be made a priority.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 22 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

My doctor is very good... however, it is a nightmare booking an appointment in advance. You can ring up in the morning for a same day appointment.... but advance bookings stumps them.

Also calling them out after hours is a nightmare. You ring the surgery, the answer phone gives you another number to ring and then you have to work your way through 20 questions.... by then you’ve already died of exhaustion and you no longer require their service.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 22 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

This does not suprise me in any way Amie I am afraid. The Doctors receptionists are trained to be obnoxious, discourteous and generally uncaring. Its not the Doctors normally that is the problem but the infrastructure that surrounds them. angry.gif

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jun 22 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

Booking appointments is advance is a doddle with my surgery. They have an online booking service which displays all availabale upcoming appointments for your GP or the practice nurse.

You can also cancel appointments this way.

The receptionists at my surgery are usually friendly and helpful.

Well done to them!

J

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 22 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

They are all friendly at my surgery as well. It is just long term planning that stumps them laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 22 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #6

Guests

Amie that is truly disgraceful.

I'm glad your little one is feeling better now, I wholeheartedly agree with every point you make, especially that awful feeling of parental guilt.

I would seriously consider contacting another surgey, Richard Benyon MP's.

I had to do so on another issue recently and he was suprisingly proactive.

All the best to you and yours,

Bill.

+Quote Post
AmieB
post Jun 22 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 22 2009, 12:28 PM) *
Amie that is truly disgraceful.

I'm glad your little one is feeling better now, I wholeheartedly agree with every point you make, especially that awful feeling of parental guilt.

I would seriously consider contacting another surgey, Richard Benyon MP's.

I had to do so on another issue recently and he was suprisingly proactive.

All the best to you and yours,

Bill.

Thanks Bill. I am going to change surgerys, defintaly. I feel totally let down by them. Its not the 1st time either. When we do get an app were usually in and out of it within 2 mins, its like they haven't got time see you anymore.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 22 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I would hazard a guess that JMH is registered at the same practice as me - not very far from the town centre (nudge, nudge - mentioning no names). I would also guess that AmieB is not.

AmieB: If I were you I would move as quickly as possible to a practice that cares about its patients. Yours obviously does not, and it is probably worth making a complaint to the local Health Authority. I know I would.

Edit: Oops! didn't see your latest post before I posted. I think you have made a wise decision.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:58 PM