GMR
post Mar 6 2015, 08:31 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 6 2015, 08:26 PM) *
You think Big Society was a vote-winner? Alrighty... unsure.gif

In theory a lot of these ideas are good ideas. But when it comes to putting it into practice then it is another matter.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Claude
post Mar 6 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 6 2015, 08:26 PM) *
They haven't released their manifestos yet, so the question is premature.

That's not the point at all. I do not know what a vote in the General Election is for. That's what I need help to understand.

+Quote Post
Spider
post Mar 6 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,832

QUOTE (GMR @ Mar 6 2015, 08:31 PM) *
In theory a lot of these ideas are good ideas. But when it comes to putting it into practice then it is another matter.

That was why I was disappointed with the Lib-Dems. They were all mouth before the election, but once in power they were all different.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 6 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (GMR @ Mar 6 2015, 08:28 PM) *
Such as? Remember; all parties are saying the same about each other.

I don't understand your point, sorry.

QUOTE (GMR @ Mar 6 2015, 08:28 PM) *
Would you have said the same before 2010? I think a Tory led coalition with, say, UKIP (providing they have the seats) could have done pretty much the same (with a plebiscite on Europe thrown in). But to be fair we just don't know until one tries it.

Yes. Just like the country needed Thatcher to pull the unions into check, this country needed the coalition in the 10s to regain economic credibility. However, just because I think the coalition is the best option now, isn't say I am a fan and think it should continue as such, it is just that there is a lack of a credible alternative.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 6 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Claude @ Mar 6 2015, 08:33 PM) *
That's not the point at all. I do not know what a vote in the General Election is for. That's what I need help to understand.

It is the point, because without a manifesto, you don't know what you are voting for! e.g. If you happened to be under 40 and looking for a starter home, you would do little better than hope a Tory government is returned.

You have two types of election. Local and general. In a general election you vote for someone to go to parliament and vote for polices that affect the country at large. In local elections, you get to vote for who decides when you get your bin emptied and where local houses get built, i.e. local issues (but with limited power).

This year we will be voting for someone to go to London and debate and consult on national issues.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 6 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Claude @ Mar 6 2015, 08:25 PM) *
Can anyone help me understand how I should decide who to vote for, then I can try and make the best decision for my personal circumstances & beliefs

That's an easy one. If it's a concern for your personal circumstances that drives you then Conservative is a safe vote, but if you're driven by your beliefs then Labour might be more you. There are other choices, and there is also some cross-over, but the essential choice is a moral one - whether or not to be selfish really. You typically have more choice on the self-serving end of the spectrum.

However, like AC said, it really doesn't much matter who you vote for - blaming our politicians for the arrogance of British politics is simply out-sourcing our moral responsibility, and why not, the nanny state already collects our bins, cares for our elderly, fights our wars, grows our food, arrests our crims, tends to our sick - so it's attractive to assume that the immorality of our public servants is also not our responsibility. Except it is - we get the democracy we deserve.

Oddly enough a selfless outlook is typically the most rewarding - like the parable of the long handled spoons.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Claude
post Mar 6 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 6 2015, 08:45 PM) *
You have two types of election. Local and general. In a general election you vote for someone to go to parliament and vote for polices that affect the country at large. In local elections, you get to vote for who decides when you get your bin emptied and where local houses get built.

This year we will be voting for someone to go to London and debate and consult on national issues.

What's the point of an independent candidate? Is their dream just to get to Westminster so they can be counted, when in fact they'd deliver very little for constituents other than a voice?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 6 2015, 09:00 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Claude @ Mar 6 2015, 08:54 PM) *
What's the point of an independent candidate? Is their dream just to get to Westminster so they can be counted, when in fact they'd deliver very little for constituents other than a voice?

Other than a voice? You underestimate the power of a voice. As an MP you have standing, a platform from which to speak, and you can use the platform to challenge power and authority in a way than the ordinary schmo can't. Of course it helps if you have something to say other than "vote for me", and typically career politicians don't believe in anything but their career, but independents sometimes do.

And then sometimes don't...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 6 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 6 2015, 08:51 PM) *
That's an easy one. If it's a concern for your personal circumstances that drives you then Conservative is a safe vote, but if you're driven by your beliefs then Labour might be more you. There are other choices, and there is also some cross-over, but the essential choice is a moral one - whether or not to be selfish really. You typically have more choice on the self-serving end of the spectrum.

Then there's tactical voting. It would take an incredible event for Labour to win in Newbury, so if labour was your bag, you would better off voting Lib Dem, or UKIP if the suggestion that the Lib Dems are toast is true. When the Lib Dems won here the last time, we got a Labour government.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Mar 7 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

The thing with Farage is he tells the truth. People don't like the truth. Especially bleeding heart Liberals. The same people who feel sorry for the
3 wee "girls" who bless them felt it necessary to go to Syria. It was all our fault of course. They were groomed. They disliked Britain.
We did not make them feel welcome. They were brainwashed.

Then again when they got to Syria and they didn't have sanitary towels and they were passed about like bits of meat between ISIS fighters they
will most likely want to come home. Lets hope a US missile saves the UK a few quid before.

I may sound crass. But hey - I'm only saying what other like minded people are saying.

As for the election - FARAGE all the way. F**K all the other parties.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 8 2015, 12:27 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 6 2015, 09:09 PM) *
Then there's tactical voting. It would take an incredible event for Labour to win in Newbury, so if labour was your bag, you would better off voting Lib Dem, or UKIP if the suggestion that the Lib Dems are toast is true. When the Lib Dems won here the last time, we got a Labour government.

Tactical voting explains the Lib-Dem's past success in this constituency - and might, just might, see them upset the Tories again - but only if large numbers of former Tory voters turn to UKIP and the Lib-Dem vote holds up (without a viable alternative left of centre candidate it's not entirely impossible).

But my money's on another 5 years of Benyon.

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Mar 8 2015, 08:55 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

Farage tells the truth just like Clegg did in the last election. Vote for him and there wouldn't be any University Tuition Fees. That would have helped my sister when she went to Uni. He gets in and guess what, no change. This time, not a word is said about that until Labour say they'll reduce them if they get in. What do the LibDems do? Just rubbish what Labour say. You can't trust any of them they are all just out for themselves they only have principles when it suits them. There is no point at all in voting because whatever they say, they'll just do what they want so why bother?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 8 2015, 10:03 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (The Hatter @ Mar 8 2015, 08:55 AM) *
Farage tells the truth just like Clegg did in the last election. Vote for him and there wouldn't be any University Tuition Fees. That would have helped my sister when she went to Uni. He gets in and guess what, no change. This time, not a word is said about that until Labour say they'll reduce them if they get in. What do the LibDems do? Just rubbish what Labour say. You can't trust any of them they are all just out for themselves they only have principles when it suits them. There is no point at all in voting because whatever they say, they'll just do what they want so why bother?

Nick Clegg didn't win an election, he was therefore not entitled to enact his manifesto, but what they helped do is make Uni accessible for the least wealthiest. You only pay if you get a reasonably well paid job.

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 8 2015, 12:29 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I don't buy this Farage speaks the truth stuff.

Do we really believe he was late to a meeting because of immigrants?

If immigrants are taking too many UK jobs, why's he got a German born secretary?

Why's he been saying we need a cap on migration, only to recently axe it?

If the EU are so bad, why did they take £1.5m of their money recently?

Can anyone thinking of voting UKIP answer these questions for me?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 8 2015, 12:39 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (The Hatter @ Mar 8 2015, 08:55 AM) *

Getting young people to university and technical colleges was something the government of the day encouraged as it brought the unemployment figures down big time. I don't think that they envisaged the take up though when gradually it became some sort of status symbol amongst middle class and latterly, every other parent who could clack on about their offspring going to uni. New universities sprang up all over the place offering nonsense degrees in media studies, psychology, geography etc. These didn't have any long term benefit either to the new BA or the country. Ergo, suddenly the government need to find a face saving way of cutting back on the numbers, hence parents and students having to fork out the cash to support this trend.

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Mar 8 2015, 05:36 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 8 2015, 10:03 AM) *
Nick Clegg didn't win an election, he was therefore not entitled to enact his manifesto, but what they helped do is make Uni accessible for the least wealthiest. You only pay if you get a reasonably well paid job.

Why wasn't he honest in the first place then? Why wasnt it just left in the manifesto? The LibDems didn't help make universities accessible at all all they did was tell an untruth to get the student vote. That's just as bad as mis selling which they have been slagging of the banks for doing. And as for what you think is a reasonably paid job, really?

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Mar 8 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 8 2015, 12:39 PM) *
Getting young people to university and technical colleges was something the government of the day encouraged as it brought the unemployment figures down big time. I don't think that they envisaged the take up though when gradually it became some sort of status symbol amongst middle class and latterly, every other parent who could clack on about their offspring going to uni. New universities sprang up all over the place offering nonsense degrees in media studies, psychology, geography etc. These didn't have any long term benefit either to the new BA or the country. Ergo, suddenly the government need to find a face saving way of cutting back on the numbers, hence parents and students having to fork out the cash to support this trend.

We were supposed to be a high tech economy and that means training. Would you rather we become just a sweat shop? Who is going to pay your pension on the money they earn in McDonalds or Starbucks?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 8 2015, 06:05 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (The Hatter @ Mar 8 2015, 05:40 PM) *
We were supposed to be a high tech economy and that means training. Would you rather we become just a sweat shop? Who is going to pay your pension on the money they earn in McDonalds or Starbucks?

Few jobs need a degree-level education, and few people have the academic ability to benefit from a degree course. It worked effectively in the 70's when you got your education paid for if you were bright enough to benefit from it, and everyone else with any nous did an HNC paid for by the employer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 8 2015, 06:07 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 8 2015, 06:05 PM) *
Few jobs need a degree-level education, and few people have the academic ability to benefit from a degree course. It worked effectively in the 70's when you got your education paid for if you were bright enough to benefit from it, and everyone else with any nous did an HNC paid for by the employer.

Generally experience over qualifications in my opinion.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 8 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 8 2015, 06:07 PM) *
Generally experience over qualifications in my opinion.

Precisely so. As a wise man once said, a graduate can tell you the square root of a jar of pickles, but they can't get the lid off.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:11 PM