blackdog
post Nov 21 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=15148

Good news, or bad?

I suspect we will return to the huge queues where the M4 goes two lane. The bus lane moved this 3 to 2 lane point to the previous junction, where traffic is much lighter.

At least we will know who to blame if this turns out to add to our journey times - Philip Hammond.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 21 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

As it is a trial, at least it can go back to what it was if necessary.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 21 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

We've got to try those things out to see if they are a good idea or not. I am for giving it a try.

+Quote Post
gel
post Nov 21 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 21 2010, 04:05 PM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=15148

Good news, or bad?

I suspect we will return to the huge queues where the M4 goes two lane. The bus lane moved this 3 to 2 lane point to the previous junction, where traffic is much lighter.

At least we will know who to blame if this turns out to add to our journey times - Philip Hammond.

Don't forget that non entity Prescott originally commissioned this, and then he & his cohorts in New Labour found various excuses why they should be permitted to dodge the rules that applied to everyone else.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 21 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ Nov 21 2010, 08:47 PM) *
Don't forget that non entity Prescott originally commissioned this, and then he & his cohorts in New Labour found various excuses why they should be permitted to dodge the rules that applied to everyone else.

Prescott did instigate the bus lane - and, in my opinion, it made driving into London easier (perhaps to Prescott's chagrin). Now they are going to reinstate the third lane, and the subsequent queues. I'm sorry to see it go.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 21 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 21 2010, 09:45 PM) *
Prescott did instigate the bus lane - and, in my opinion, it made driving into London easier (perhaps to Prescott's chagrin). Now they are going to reinstate the third lane, and the subsequent queues. I'm sorry to see it go.

Well if you are correct, it will be re-instated!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 21 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

From my few experiences of it, it was a lane for buses/coaches, taxis, motorbikes...... AND drivers of Bentleys, Jags, Porsches, Range Rovers etc etc....

Paying a 'paltry' £60 fine so one could whizz past the plebs of a Monday morning after spending a weekend with Tarquin and Portia at their pad in the country was well worth the risk don't you think old boy?... ESPECIALLY as the risk of detection was low to zero...

There were no fixed cameras along the route and police appeared to regard the apprehending of unauthorised users as a luxury rather than a priority. Research by BBC London last year revealed that there were just 14 fixed penalty notices issued during the whole of 2008.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 21 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 21 2010, 10:37 PM) *
From my few experiences of it, it was a lane for buses/coaches, taxis, motorbikes...... AND drivers of Bentleys, Jags, Porsches, Range Rovers etc etc....

The actual bus lane is not the issue to me - fill it with bollards, dig it up, anything to avoid the nightmare queues of the past (and, I fear, the future) where three lanes turn into three. Doing this in the previous junction worked: many would exit anyway and the through traffic could readily migrate to the outer lanes. Those entering were entering a dual carriageway and didn't hold up traffic already on the motorway.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 22 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 21 2010, 08:03 PM) *
We've got to try those things out to see if they are a good idea or not. I am for giving it a try.

Giving what a try?

They are going back to the way it was

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Nov 22 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 21 2010, 04:44 PM) *
As it is a trial, at least it can go back to what it was if necessary.

But it is not a trial, it is going back to what it used to be and we already know that did not woirk.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 22 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

It has to go from 3 to 2 lanes at some point - what difference does it make where it is?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 22 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Nov 22 2010, 03:36 PM) *
But it is not a trial, it is going back to what it used to be and we already know that did not woirk.

What does this mean then?:

"The suspension of the M4 Bus Lane is being carried out under an Experimental Order under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. If evidence supports the permanent removal of the bus lane, then a Revocation Order will be made following the appropriate processes, including consultation."

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 22 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 22 2010, 02:04 PM) *
Giving what a try?

They are going back to the way it was

Excellent wink.gif But that wasn't what I meant.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 22 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 22 2010, 03:56 PM) *
It has to go from 3 to 2 lanes at some point - what difference does it make where it is?

It just works better at the junction - probably because a lot of people get off at the junction so there is lighter traffic passing under the junction and the traffic entering give way as normal when entering the motorway. It just flows well most of the time.

When it happened where the bus lane ends there were endless queues of cars attempting to get in the fastest moving lane (which varied all the time). Some try to get into the inner lanes in plenty of time, others raced past and shoved in at the last moment. In all but the lightest traffic conditions traffic slowed almost to a stop and the 3/2 lane point and queues were enormous when the traffic was heavy. Of course today it's always heavier than it was. It's like having permament roadworks at one of the busiest bits of motorway.

I am glad to hear that they a reserving the option to reinstate the bus lane if it all goes horribly wrong.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 22 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 22 2010, 08:34 PM) *
It just works better at the junction - probably because a lot of people get off at the junction so there is lighter traffic passing under the junction and the traffic entering give way as normal when entering the motorway. It just flows well most of the time.

When it happened where the bus lane ends there were endless queues of cars attempting to get in the fastest moving lane (which varied all the time). Some try to get into the inner lanes in plenty of time, others raced past and shoved in at the last moment. In all but the lightest traffic conditions traffic slowed almost to a stop and the 3/2 lane point and queues were enormous when the traffic was heavy. Of course today it's always heavier than it was. It's like having permament roadworks at one of the busiest bits of motorway.

I am glad to hear that they a reserving the option to reinstate the bus lane if it all goes horribly wrong.

I think I'll carry on going by train!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Nov 22 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 22 2010, 05:11 PM) *
What does this mean then?:

"The suspension of the M4 Bus Lane is being carried out under an Experimental Order under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. If evidence supports the permanent removal of the bus lane, then a Revocation Order will be made following the appropriate processes, including consultation."

No idea. What I do know is that if an experiment fails and you continue to do the same experiment with the same quantities, materials and under the same conditions it is never going to work.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 22 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 22 2010, 07:36 PM) *
I think I'll carry on going by train!

Okay if you are going to central London, though a mite pricey, but not a great option if you are heading for somewhere round the north or south circular.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:51 PM