IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Dodgy Dave, Don't most people get sacked for back handers?
Adrian Hollister
post Mar 26 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 613

In the news is Dodgy Dave who seems to be accepting back handers for access to him and his policies; so I think the government must declare all lobbying activities, any political funds associated and any personal funds that MP's may benefit from. This is something that I've asked Benyon about, but as usual I got the 'no real answer' letter back discussing the weather and how nice and thick parliamentary paper is tongue.gif .

I've also wondered why NWN never cover things like this? Dealing with corruption effects us all, so perhaps they are a little too caution to cover sensitive issues for those in 'power'.

So what do you lot think? Should we just allow the corruption to continue; or do we need reform?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jo Pepper
post Mar 26 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,652

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Mar 26 2012, 12:02 PM) *
In the news is Dodgy Dave who seems to be accepting back handers for access to him and his policies; so I think the government must declare all lobbying activities, any political funds associated and any personal funds that MP's may benefit from. This is something that I've asked Benyon about, but as usual I got the 'no real answer' letter back discussing the weather and how nice and thick parliamentary paper is tongue.gif .

I've also wondered why NWN never cover things like this? Dealing with corruption effects us all, so perhaps they are a little too caution to cover sensitive issues for those in 'power'.

So what do you lot think? Should we just allow the corruption to continue; or do we need reform?

It is not just conservatives that have a problem, Lib Dems have the same problem.

Why are your surprised? This problem has followed the conservatives for years.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Mar 26 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jo Pepper @ Mar 26 2012, 12:10 PM) *
It is not just conservatives that have a problem, Lib Dems have the same problem.

Why are your surprised? This problem has followed the conservatives for years.

I hadn't spotted that, but it does seem that those in 'power' don't want change. Benyon here didn't even agree with an elected second house (House of Lords). Why on earth not? Just 'cos some people have inherited titles, should not entitle them to be in an unelected government.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Mar 26 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

Unless there is state funding of political parties, this problem will continue. Labour are just as guilty - remember Lord Cashpoint and his scam? Not to mention peerages handed out to big party donors. The system encourages corrupt practice.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 26 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Mar 26 2012, 01:29 PM) *
I hadn't spotted that, but it does seem that those in 'power' don't want change. Benyon here didn't even agree with an elected second house (House of Lords). Why on earth not? Just 'cos some people have inherited titles, should not entitle them to be in an unelected government.

Hereditary entitlement went some years ago - a few selected Lords were allowed to stay on but they will go soon. The main political parties want reform of the Lords to give them control over its membership - they definitely don't trust the electorate to decide. It will be interesting to see of they can get rid of the Bishops.

What they should do (in my opinion) is elect the Lords by proportional representation based on the votes cast for MPs in each general election. There would be no need for any additional election, the political balance of the 'upper' house would reflect that of the country, and government would no longer be able to simply appoint a bunch of peers to ensure they have a majority.

+Quote Post
Ron
post Mar 26 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Mar 26 2012, 01:02 PM) *

And what makes it so clear that any of the others, including your lot, are/would be any different?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 26 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

What a daft question. If they covered everything that could affect us, they would just be a national newspaper.

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Mar 26 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (Ron @ Mar 26 2012, 04:13 PM) *
And what makes it so clear that any of the others, including your lot, are/would be any different?

That makes it all ok then does it?

+Quote Post
Jo Pepper
post Mar 26 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,652

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 26 2012, 05:24 PM) *
What a daft question. If they covered everything that could affect us, they would just be a national newspaper.

Actually, I would quite like to know what our MP is saying on our behalf.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 26 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

+Quote Post
Ron
post Mar 26 2012, 09:56 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (Squelchy @ Mar 26 2012, 07:26 PM) *
That makes it all ok then does it?

No. But he was making a comment in such a way as if others were all better.

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Mar 26 2012, 10:22 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

Well, if it's wrong it's wrong. Saying "they're all the same" doesn't really help matters.

The Police were called in to investigate the Labour debacle. (no one was charged or prosecuted).

Cameron has set up an internal inquiry to be run by a chap that Cameron gave a knighthood to last year.

Bit of a difference I'd have thought.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Mar 27 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jo Pepper @ Mar 26 2012, 06:30 PM) *

It's not just what they are saying, but what they are getting to say it. If the PM is so willing to form a party system giving access for money, then the whole lobbying system must be accountable. Accountable and reportable. We need to know if our MP was lobbied by 3rd parties to understand the influence they bring (financial, political or personal).

If there is no problem here, why doesn't dodgy dave just open up the information? why doesn't Benyon lobby his PM for it? and why not limit and document sources of personal and political funding?

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Mar 27 2012, 08:37 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Jo Pepper @ Mar 26 2012, 06:30 PM) *

The MP for Newbury votes with the party, (those whips must sting his soft hide) so to know what he is saying just look what Cameron is saying.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 27 2012, 08:42 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

He is what's known as a tame MP; some might say lame! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Mar 27 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

If Labour were to win a general election tomorrow, then not only would we have a governing party funded by unions, but also the fact that they would have chosen our Prime Minister as well!

If unions can fund political parties in return for favourable policy, then companies and individuals should be able to as well. All major party conferences are full of lobbyists trying to meet with influential people and shape policy.

Personally, I think it should be looked into to see if parties should be state-funded - I heard the figure today of £23 Million - a drop in the ocean in terms of public expenditure, and I am sure less than the cost of investigations /inquiries into the repeated scandals!

I can see the downside of state-funding, but it has to be better than what we have at present.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 27 2012, 06:00 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

All that is required is transparency.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 27 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

What corruption? The Tories haven't done anything wrong. Labour took 80 million from the unions.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 27 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Vodabury @ Mar 26 2012, 01:35 PM) *
Unless there is state funding of political parties, this problem will continue. Labour are just as guilty - remember Lord Cashpoint and his scam? Not to mention peerages handed out to big party donors. The system encourages corrupt practice.

Exactly; look at the 1 million donations from the racing car industry that labour got.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 27 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Vodabury @ Mar 27 2012, 05:25 PM) *
If Labour were to win a general election tomorrow, then not only would we have a governing party funded by unions, but also the fact that they would have chosen our Prime Minister as well!

Exactly; people forget that when attacking the Tories.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:19 PM