Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is the holdup?
spartacus
post May 6 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

No wonder some people find politics a difficult subject to become engaged in...... zzzzzzz... Has the turnout been so high that the counting clerks are just struggling to compute it all? Moutains of 'X's to thumb through? Is there an event on at Newbury Racecourse that's distracting them? ....Or is it more the fact that the turnout was so low that every single vote counts, and therefore has to be counted over and over again....

They started counting at 9.45... It's now 14.30 and not a single result through yet.... Someone tell them they can take their shoes and socks off if it helps them counting to twenty.....

Boring!! I'm off to the pub....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 6 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (spartacus @ May 6 2011, 02:27 PM) *
No wonder some people find politics a difficult subject to become engaged in...... zzzzzzz... Has the turnout been so high that the counting clerks are just struggling to compute it all? Moutains of 'X's to thumb through? Is there an event on at Newbury Racecourse that's distracting them? ....Or is it more the fact that the turnout was so low that every single vote counts, and therefore has to be counted over and over again....

They started counting at 9.45... It's now 14.30 and not a single result through yet.... Someone tell them they can take their shoes and socks off if it helps them counting to twenty.....

Boring!! I'm off to the pub....

Its Garvie. He wants his 2 votes recounted! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 6 2011, 01:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I hate doing this, because I'm sure they are all working hard. However, UK doesn't seem able to do elections well anymore. Last time (albeit not West Berks) we had the debacle where voters were 'locked out' by some dumb decision making and sluggish admin. This time, our local station was a few minutes late opening - then the tellers seemed all of a fluster trying to issue voting slips, which again slowed proceedings still further. Worse, there have even been reports of bad behaviour by party runners at the door. I'm old enough to remember the excitement generated in the 1970's - when running a slick ballot was a showcase of good local givernment practice. All gone.....and they still expect us to take elections seriously!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 6 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 6 2011, 02:57 PM) *
I hate doing this, because I'm sure they are all working hard. However, UK doesn't seem able to do elections well anymore. Last time (albeit not West Berks) we had the debacle where voters were 'locked out' by some dumb decision making and sluggish admin. This time, our local station was a few minutes late opening - then the tellers seemed all of a fluster trying to issue voting slips, which again slowed proceedings still further. Worse, there have even been reports of bad behaviour by party runners at the door. I'm old enough to remember the excitement generated in the 1970's - when running a slick ballot was a showcase of good local givernment practice. All gone.....and they still expect us to take elections seriously!

What if AV is voted in?
How long will the process take then?

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 6 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 6 2011, 05:02 PM) *
What if AV is voted in?
How long will the process take then?

If it is voted in they are giving it an extra month to count them and an extra thousand people.... No doubt there will still be complaints of slowness. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 6 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Going by the results already in from around the country, it's a NO by about 66-75%.

Bye-Bye AV

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 6 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (GMR @ May 6 2011, 05:40 PM) *
If it is voted in they are giving it an extra month to count them and an extra thousand people....

Been reading the Daily Mail again?

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 6 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 6 2011, 07:09 PM) *
Been reading the Daily Mail again?

Sorry, I don't read your paper. I stick to the Economist and the Times (occasionally Guardian and Telegraph).

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 6 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Why are so many people so quick to slate the daily mail, here's a newsflash, all papers have an agenda of some sort, and they all want to sell papers.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 7 2011, 08:30 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 7 2011, 12:19 AM) *
Why are so many people so quick to slate the daily mail, here's a newsflash, all papers have an agenda of some sort, and they all want to sell papers.

As is all types of commercial media outlets. The Daily Mail are notorious for their 'selective' political editorial by seducing our subconscious cynicism and prejudices. Or put in another way: they print a lot of 'bullsh*t' to wind us up.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 7 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 7 2011, 12:19 AM) *

Maybe because they deserve it. I agree that all papers have their 'agenda' but their agenda seems to be to stir up rather than give the correct facts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:20 AM