Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NWN and the English language
CBW137Y
post Dec 5 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 223

Of course, I am now waiting for the person for whom the penny doesn't drop to reply tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 5 2012, 01:30 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (CBW137Y @ Dec 5 2012, 12:10 PM) *
Of course, I am now waiting for the person for whom the penny doesn't drop to reply tongue.gif

If the penny doesn't drop, then they might not be likely to reply! wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 5 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (CBW137Y @ Dec 5 2012, 12:09 PM) *
The one thing which annoys me whilst trying to read some of the online reports is the lack of understanding what a paragraph is!

It rather distracts from the lack of ability to spell somewhat.

One hope there is some training on offer to brush up there English skills.

laugh.gif tongue.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (CBW137Y @ Dec 5 2012, 12:10 PM) *

Ah, you mean the four errors in your post were deliberate? Nearly caught me there!

+Quote Post
CBW137Y
post Dec 5 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223

In all seriousness though, I really don't understand the need for single line spacing. Have the reporters never heard of paragraphs?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Dec 5 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (CBW137Y @ Dec 5 2012, 04:32 PM) *
In all seriousness though, I really don't understand the need for single line spacing. Have the reporters never heard of paragraphs?

The whole site is a mess. Why no dates on 'related posts'? Who is interested in stuff three years old for example.

Another simple mistake now.

'AN eighty-four man was left with life threatening injuries after being hit by a car in Cold Ash on Friday.
'
blink.gif

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 5 2012, 08:45 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Dec 5 2012, 08:39 PM) *
The whole site is a mess. Why no dates on 'related posts'? Who is interested in stuff three years old for example.

While I think a date is a good idea, I do sometimes like to (re)familiarise myself with old stories.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 7 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

'AN eighty-four man was left with life threatening injuries after being hit by a car in Cold Ash on Friday

A bit like the two drunks reporting on the Snooker match. "I remember the good ole days, working as a cub reporter
on the NLN, How many pubs there were in the town. I learnt a lot about the ones with back doors......for a snifter after 4pm.
Spelling? Nobody bothered to check, they were all out to lunch anyway or at the races".

Seeing as there was a hiatus.Just a bit of fun.No harm intended.
ce

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Dec 13 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

A POLICE pursuit through a quite West Berkshire village last night (Weds) ended with four men being placed in police custody.

Quite what is the question. Quite noisy could be an answer. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Dec 13 2012, 01:35 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Dec 13 2012, 01:09 PM) *
A POLICE pursuit through a quite West Berkshire village last night (Weds) ended with four men being placed in police custody.

Quite what is the question. Quite noisy could be an answer. wink.gif

Could have been worse, could have " custardy" that would have meant they had met a sticky end.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Dec 13 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Penelope @ Dec 13 2012, 01:35 PM) *
Could have been worse, could have " custardy" that would have meant they had met a sticky end.

Haha
laugh.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post Dec 13 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,653

I made the mistake of sending a shirty mail to the "Chief reporter" flagging up his rubbish English in an article. He responded the same day, flagging up the one error in my email. (Admitedly, given the nature of the email I should have double-checked!).

That said, I found it rather frustrating that he found the time to send a terse email, but did not actually change the published article. Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors are forgiveable, but this site totally lacks any attention to detail. I doubt half of the articles on here are proof-read. It makes me wonder why these people bother being in this profession if they can only be arsed to to do half a job?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 13 2012, 05:04 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Baffers100 @ Dec 13 2012, 04:32 PM) *
I made the mistake of sending a shirty mail to the "Chief reporter" flagging up his rubbish English in an article. He responded the same day, flagging up the one error in my email. (Admitedly, given the nature of the email I should have double-checked!).

That said, I found it rather frustrating that he found the time to send a terse email, but did not actually change the published article. Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors are forgiveable, but this site totally lacks any attention to detail. I doubt half of the articles on here are proof-read. It makes me wonder why these people bother being in this profession if they can only be arsed to to do half a job?

Can't really see the importance. Did you understand the text was it ambiguous because of the grammatical error. Probably not so what's the big deal.

Admitedly.....Admittedly

We have too many people whinging about the odd mistake but some of the posts on here beggar belief sometimes. But, usually they make sense (Except dear old "Nothing Much") so why stress about it, especially feeling the need to send an email. Sad really.

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post Dec 13 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,653

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 13 2012, 05:04 PM) *
Can't really see the importance. Did you understand the text was it ambiguous because of the grammatical error. Probably not so what's the big deal.

Admitedly.....Admittedly

We have too many people whinging about the odd mistake but some of the posts on here beggar belief sometimes. But, usually they make sense (Except dear old "Nothing Much") so why stress about it, especially feeling the need to send an email. Sad really.

I knew I would get called up on something (but won't comment too much about the capital E you used at the start of the parenthesis!)

I hear your point, but I don't make a living out of my writing- and I doubt the vast majority on here do. If I did, I would not feel quite so relaxed making the errors in published, paid for work, as I do on a local 'news' forum. If you witness a 'professional' driver driving dangerously, do you turn a blind eye? Maybe some do, but I don't. I really don't see why poor quality work should be tolerated. There are plenty of other people who would take their jobs and use the spell-check function.

The importance, was that the article was rather close to home as it was about a young teenager who lost his life in a glider accident. It is because of the picture that I clicked on the article. I understood it perfectly, but found the lack of proof-reading not only lazy, but also disrespectful. They even spelt the name of his school wrong.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 13 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Baffers100 @ Dec 13 2012, 05:24 PM) *
I hear your point, but I don't make a living out of my writing.....

Actually, NWN doesn't either; its main income comes from selling advertising.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 13 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Well I do try to make scent in my posits. Sometimes I fall short. An I get bell telephone calls from odler bro
Arsking what I am on about. I went to the wrong school. Actually I have just had the anal calander, with a note from the present headmaster.... We note from our records that you hav not donated yeti. Dim Sum chance.

If you can make sense of that Exhausted,then I am a journalist. I have been quiet for a while.
ce

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 13 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Baffers100 @ Dec 13 2012, 05:24 PM) *
The importance, was that the article was rather close to home as it was about a young teenager who lost his life in a glider accident. It is because of the picture that I clicked on the article. I understood it perfectly, but found the lack of proof-reading not only lazy, but also disrespectful. They even spelt the name of his school wrong.

I agree; in the wrong place it can look disrespectful. As an example, I'm reminded of Gordon Brown's letter to a bereaved parent.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 13 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

On the Brown affair, I must admit to wondering who had the worst manners.

Of course, the reporters are professionals. I wonder just how many of us never make silly mistakes in our own work and are happy about customers pointing them out?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Spider
post Dec 13 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,832

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 12 2012, 10:03 AM) *
A thread to let of a little steam about bad English in the NWN or NewburyToday.

Here is the first - a headline on NewburyToday today:

Walrus, horseshoe, handlebars? Gentleman opt for the musketeer moustache for Movember

Gentlemen opt, a gentleman opts. Hopefully just a typo ...

This is not just the NWN but endemic throughout the newspaper industry. Standards have decline over the last 30 years. In fact the whole Newspaper industry has declined.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 13 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 13 2012, 07:28 PM) *
On the Brown affair, I must admit to wondering who had the worst manners.

I don't think it is a matter of manners. more courtesy - at least get the name right. The point is, it looks rushed, and therefore careless.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 13 2012, 09:40 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 13 2012, 09:29 PM) *
I don't think it is a matter of manners. more courtesy - at least get the name right. The point is, it looks rushed, and therefore careless.

And should never have been made public; that's where manners come in.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:02 PM