IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another EU decision that may cost you dear, Imported tableware from China hit with new levy
motormad
post Nov 22 2012, 05:26 PM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 22 2012, 05:09 PM) *
Even when The West's foreign policies contribute to the reasons people seek asylum here?

I'm not saying the UK is right in all cases. I think we should stop interfering in things which we don't understand culturally or ethically however at the end of the day if people choose to come to the UK they should be willing to work for it and not expect/hope the government bails them out.

And frankly if they disliked the UK then why do they come here? Why don't they bugger off to France instead.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Nov 22 2012, 06:08 PM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (motormad @ Nov 22 2012, 05:26 PM) *
I'm not saying the UK is right in all cases. I think we should stop interfering in things which we don't understand culturally or ethically however at the end of the day if people choose to come to the UK they should be willing to work for it and not expect/hope the government bails them out.

And frankly if they disliked the UK then why do they come here? Why don't they bugger off to France instead.

Because the French don't want them, and they are tougher than we are about it.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 22 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #83

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (motormad @ Nov 22 2012, 03:54 PM) *
I've already said what i personally have a problem with.
People who immigrate to the UK and then claim benefits.

Nothing more, nothing less.

You seem to believe that every immigrant in receipt of benefits has migrated here for the sole purpose of sponging off the state.

I wonder how many of the migrants on benefit have worked for decades to the benefit of the UK economy before needing some help in their old age, or following an illness or injury.

Sure, there will be immigrants who are content to live off benefits, even worse there will be some who live off multiple benefit claims - just are there are UK born spongers and crooks. We need migrants to keep the economy going (we don't breed enough children to enable us to do without migration), inevitably there will be some bad apples who the authorities could do a better job of weeding out - but there are also many more who deserve their benefits.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Nov 22 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (FactFile @ Nov 22 2012, 11:58 AM) *
So you thought you'd warn that it may be unwise to do something, and then you go and do it yourself?

No, I commented. In my opinion that mention was ill-advised. I did not think it a good idea. I thought some might latch onto that aspect. I did not warn.

Maybe you suffer split ends?

+Quote Post
motormad
post Nov 22 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #85

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 22 2012, 07:36 PM) *
You seem to believe that every immigrant in receipt of benefits has migrated here for the sole purpose of sponging off the state.

That's not what I said is it? I didn't say people only emmigrate to the UK for benefits. But like I said, why not pick a better country? If ours is so oppressive. I said I don't think people who come over here should be allowed to claim benefits. Not that people only ever do.

My point still stands.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 22 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #86

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (motormad @ Nov 22 2012, 08:06 PM) *
That's not what I said is it? I didn't say people only emmigrate to the UK for benefits. But like I said, why not pick a better country? If ours is so oppressive. I said I don't think people who come over here should be allowed to claim benefits. Not that people only ever do.

What do you think should happen?

+Quote Post
motormad
post Nov 22 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #87

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 22 2012, 08:08 PM) *
What do you think should happen?

I feel like I'm having to repeat myself here; almost like talking to my mother. In one ear, out t'other.

As I said (and have always said) - if you immigrate into the UK you should not be allowed to claim benefits from the UK. You should work to earn your money.

In an ideal world; you would be able to claim up to what you have paid in tax. And this should stand for everyone, not just immigrants.

EG - A man and woman immigrate into the UK and manages to find a job. Woman stays at home because she's pregnant. He works for 2 years and pays in a tax and NI contribution of, let's say, £4500 over those two years.
Said man loses his job. That man can then claim £4500 in benefits.

However then everything starts to get complicated, eg what if he has children with a woman, are they allowed to claim benefits for that child? Being said, being born in a country doesn't make you a "national".

Which is why it should be kept simple. I do see a need that sometimes people need benefits. I have been on them before, yes. At the time I was a bit of a bum. But I had motivation and eventually turned my life around. However there are too many people who think that it's somehow the governments responsibility to support them financially.
Which is why it's easiest to perhaps allow immigrants a 6 month window to get themselves settled down, where they can claim benefits, and then after that, it stops and they are expected to support themselves by working. I don't think it's right at all that people can come over to live in another country and then claim off it's state.

But I think that too many people (both foreign and domestic) abuse the benefits system in general. And it would be unfair to the minority who genuinley need it to stop it completely.

It needs a total overhaul by someone who's not bound by bureaucratic ties and who also has common sense.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 22 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #88

Advanced Member

OK, so you 'force' some people into the black economy (no pun intended). And those that are enterprising and industrious will take low paid jobs from others and thus increasing the unemployment rate amongst the 'honest hard working Anglo Saxons'. I'm also not sure how single parent immigrants are meant to carry on either.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Nov 22 2012, 11:42 PM
Post #89

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 22 2012, 10:09 PM) *
OK, so you 'force' some people into the black economy (no pun intended). And those that are enterprising and industrious will take low paid jobs from others and thus increasing the unemployment rate amongst the 'honest hard working Anglo Saxons'. I'm also not sure how single parent immigrants are meant to carry on either.

How come that in places like Australia you can only stay if you can prove that you have guaranteed employment, my personal favourite is a benefit bank, you are awarded credits whilst you contribute to the system which provides you with a balance you can draw from.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 22 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #90

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Penelope @ Nov 22 2012, 11:42 PM) *
How come that in places like Australia you can only stay if you can prove that you have guaranteed employment, my personal favourite is a benefit bank, you are awarded credits whilst you contribute to the system which provides you with a balance you can draw from.

Mine isn't to say that it is right or wrong, but to highlight possible problems with what appears sensible. We have got to this situation with benefits for two reason I can think of. Political figures discontent with the distribution of wealth, and more cynically, to buy votes.

Think of it another way, one person on benefits means another person is in a paid job.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 12:30 PM