4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> School security scares
makinohut
post Jul 1 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 980

In the past week I was informed by a neighbour of what at the time was breaking and alarming news, regarding intruders, attacks, etc at the Downs School.

I was told that apart from conventional response even the police helicopter was involved.

I have no way of knowing if this is true of course BUT I hope that someone who should know will clarify? I am relieved that after all the paranoia the police have posted a response, and that it all turned out to be innocent and blown up by the rumour mill.

The police have enough to do withhout chasing shadows, and IF the helicopter was actually used, at a huge cost per hour, then some one, somewhere should be asking just where this started, and who is responsible for wasting poilce time, scarce financial resource, and causing mischief, by upsetting and worrying parents and pupils.

Surely it is possible for the police to trace the source, and if necessary prosecute or caution the person or persons responsible, of course dependng on their motive in the first instance.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (makinohut @ Jul 1 2010, 07:41 PM) *
In the past week I was informed by a neighbour of what at the time was breaking and alarming news, regarding intruders, attacks, etc at the Downs School.

I was told that apart from conventional response even the police helicopter was involved.

I have no way of knowing if this is true of course BUT I hope that someone who should know will clarify? I am relieved that after all the paranoia the police have posted a response, and that it all turned out to be innocent and blown up by the rumour mill.

The police have enough to do withhout chasing shadows, and IF the helicopter was actually used, at a huge cost per hour, then some one, somewhere should be asking just where this started, and who is responsible for wasting poilce time, scarce financial resource, and causing mischief, by upsetting and worrying parents and pupils.

Surely it is possible for the police to trace the source, and if necessary prosecute or caution the person or persons responsible, of course dependng on their motive in the first instance.

You'd think, wouldn't you? But we are talking about the police here who have a think about prosecuting the little darlings. After all we don't want to ruin the little darlings future chances of getting a job.... oh, no!!! Better off turning a blind eye.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 1 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (makinohut @ Jul 1 2010, 07:41 PM) *

As you say depends on their motive, someone could have reported what they thought to be something genuinly suspicious but once checked out turned out not to be.

Let's not forget this is a school you are talking about we shouldnt criticise people for reporting suspicious behaviour at any time. Also don't forget that you are still allowed to report things anonymously, i.e. crimestoppers, without fear of being tracked down.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 1 2010, 07:56 PM) *
As you say depends on their motive, someone could have reported what they thought to be something genuinly suspicious but once checked out turned out not to be.

Let's not forget this is a school you are talking about we shouldnt criticise people for reporting suspicious behaviour at any time. Also don't forget that you are still allowed to report things anonymously, i.e. crimestoppers, without fear of being tracked down.

The problem is the 'reporting' the the action that is expected of the police if a crime has been committed.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 1 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 1 2010, 08:09 PM) *
The problem is the 'reporting' the the action that is expected of the police if a crime has been committed.

Your reply doesnt make sense but nevermind. Let's not go down your usual route of "the police are rubbish blah blah blah" and stick to the topic. Everyone of your responses ive read tonight have said basically the same thing. Your record is well and truly broken and it's getting really boring!

Clearly, according to the poster action has been taken and it turned out no crime had been committed probably a person with a genuine concern that was bottomed out. We should'nt discourage people from reporting sus behaviour around a school of all places.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 1 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Surely it is better that this was a false alarm, than a genuine incident! blink.gif Surely it is a good thing that the Police took this seriously and reacted in the way they did! huh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 1 2010, 08:15 PM) *
Your reply doesnt make sense but nevermind. Let's not go down your usual route of "the police are rubbish blah blah blah" and stick to the topic. Everyone of your responses ive read tonight have said basically the same thing. Your record is well and truly broken and it's getting really boring!

Clearly, according to the poster action has been taken and it turned out no crime had been committed probably a person with a genuine concern that was bottomed out. We should'nt discourage people from reporting sus behaviour around a school of all places.

My response is based on experience. What do you suggest? That we should shut up? That is exactly what a police state would want. People like me continue because of our experience in dealing with the police. No action taken over our complaints etc.

Remember; I live in an area where there is continuous anti social behaviour and nobody seems to do anything about it. Only the other day a notorious trouble maker caused trouble, the police came and took notes. We've heard back that no action will be taken.... even though damage was caused.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 1 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 1 2010, 08:47 PM) *
My response is based on experience. What do you suggest? That we should shut up? That is exactly what a police state would want. People like me continue because of our experience in dealing with the police. No action taken over our complaints etc.

Remember; I live in an area where there is continuous anti social behaviour and nobody seems to do anything about it. Only the other day a notorious trouble maker caused trouble, the police came and took notes. We've heard back that no action will be taken.... even though damage was caused.

Just stick to the topic being discussed that is what i suggest you do.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jul 1 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Police state blah blah
Police inaction blah blah
Hole in ozone layer, lack of police action blah blah
pay my taxes blah blah
post on every topic blah blah......

......ignore.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 1 2010, 09:04 PM) *
Just stick to the topic being discussed that is what i suggest you do.

I suggest you stop being a policeman on here and allow members to do as they see fit. You are neither a moderator and a patrolling policeman who has been employed by the NWN.

I will write as I see fit. These are free boards that allow one to express their thoughts/ concerns... providing one isn't abusive in the process. When this country has been turned into an East German model with the police suddenly becoming Stasi I will obey your orders without question. Until then I shall express my views as I see fit.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 1 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 1 2010, 09:15 PM) *
I suggest you stop being a policeman on here and allow members to do as they see fit. You are neither a moderator and a patrolling policeman who has been employed by the NWN.

I will write as I see fit. These are free boards that allow one to express their thoughts/ concerns... providing one isn't abusive in the process. When this country has been turned into an East German model with the police suddenly becoming Stasi I will obey your orders without question. Until then I shall express my views as I see fit.

It is nothing to do with my job just asking you to respect what is being discussed rather than turn it into another of your rants which has nothing to do with the thread. It spoils it for other people.

And thats woman if you don't mind.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 1 2010, 08:33 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

I don't see the problem? If the police did NOTHING and there WAS an intruder, everyone would moan. They obviously acted on good faith, to go to extremes of having a helicopter out. Unless you know for sure it was a hoax then there is nothing you can do.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 1 2010, 09:24 PM) *
It is nothing to do with my job just asking you to respect what is being discussed rather than turn it into another of your rants which has nothing to do with the thread. It spoils it for other people.

And thats woman if you don't mind.

Sorry, I though you were a man. It is hard to tell on here.

Respect? As my dad used to say 'What is one man's meat, is another man's poison'. What you've requested is not in the rules. The whole point of a forum is for one to express ones self. I've been on forums for years, and of course I run some, and no thread ever stays on topic.

Actually; my 'rant' has everything to do with this thread. The original poster said
"Surely it is possible for the police to trace the source, and if necessary prosecute or caution the person or persons responsible, of course depending on their motive in the first instance." I then commented on it in my own way. And as far as I know that is allowed. If it wasn't my posts and others would have been removed. What is right, is what is accepted. What isn't accepted will be removed. Simples!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 1 2010, 09:33 PM) *
I don't see the problem? If the police did NOTHING and there WAS an intruder, everyone would moan. They obviously acted on good faith, to go to extremes of having a helicopter out. Unless you know for sure it was a hoax then there is nothing you can do.

Hi,

Whether right or wrong it was worthy of a debate. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 1 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Ossy and GMR, you will never agree or find common ground because you are both after extremities that will not happen. GMR The police are a group of mega-lo-maniacs who sole purpose is to make themselves feel as though they are superior in some way to the rest of us and are so **** bent on personal power that all the ideals they had when joining up have gone out of the window. Ossy, GMR is somone who has valid complaints but puts them across in a way that almosts insists on everyone following his way and if they don't then they are to be accepted as though they need acceptance, almost as though they need approval through GMR before having an opinion.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 1 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 1 2010, 11:32 PM) *
GMR The police are a group of mega-lo-maniacs who sole purpose is to make themselves feel as though they are superior in some way to the rest of us and are so **** bent on personal power that all the ideals they had when joining up have gone out of the window.

I'd say, of the ones I have come in contact with (and I have several friends who are 'Old Bill'), I'd say they are less 'high and mighty' than they used to be.

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 1 2010, 11:32 PM) *
Ossy, GMR is somone who has valid complaints but puts them across in a way that almosts insists on everyone following his way and if they don't then they are to be accepted as though they need acceptance, almost as though they need approval through GMR before having an opinion.

The only observation I have with GMR (and others), is his tendency to appear to sensationalise, means when he does, I don't hold much value in his opinion. A 'cry-wolf', if you like. I sometimes read his anecdotes, and I struggle to rationalise his experience in Newbury with mine. This isn't to say I always feel like this, of course. It is also quite possible that we just have different life styles that bring us into contact with different people during the day.

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post Jul 2 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

You lot make me laugh, i think you all do this for a bit of fun because you don't really know each other ... Ha and maybe to increase your post score? lol

GMR i'm your biggest fan tongue.gif

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 2 2010, 09:30 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 1 2010, 09:34 PM) *
Sorry, I though you were a man. It is hard to tell on here.

Shows you read much less than you write.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 2 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 1 2010, 07:46 PM) *
You'd think, wouldn't you? But we are talking about the police here who have a think about prosecuting the little darlings. After all we don't want to ruin the little darlings future chances of getting a job.... oh, no!!! Better off turning a blind eye.

Prosecute an 11 year old girl?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 2 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 1 2010, 07:46 PM) *

Prosecute an 11 year old girl?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:33 PM