Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buskers
DJE
post Jun 27 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,761

So now Newbury Businesses ('Newbury Business Improvement District') arrogantly presume to dictate who is or isn't 'good enough' to busk on public streets in Newbury, without any democratic mandate, and harrass and intimidate those who do not meet their corporate - and capricious - approval without any apparent right of appeal.

Freedom of expression is enshrined in the European Convention of Human Rights, and English Law, and taxpayers will end up paying the bill if any performer successfully sues.

There is a simple way for the public to dissuade poor quality street performers - simply don't pay them.

This really is a sinister and objectionable development. I want to boycott such authoritarian businesses. Who are they all?

I call upon all Newbury businesses, who are forced to fund this disgraceful scheme, to register their objections to the scheme with NBID without delay.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 27 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (DJE @ Jun 27 2016, 09:31 PM) *
So now Newbury Businesses ('Newbury Business Improvement District') arrogantly presume to dictate who is or isn't 'good enough' to busk on public streets in Newbury, without any democratic mandate, and intimidate those who do not meet their corporate approval.

There is a simple way for the public to dissuade poor quality street performers - simply don't pay them.

This really is a sinister and objectionable development. I want to boycott such authoritarian businesses. Who are they all?

I couldn't agree more. I think I'll pop down and serenade the BID's private security force with half an hour of Streets of London on the comb and paper and then maybe assert my civic liberties with a protest of avant-garde interpretive dance.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
DJE
post Jun 27 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 27 2016, 09:53 PM) *
I couldn't agree more. I think I'll pop down and serenade the BID's private security force with half an hour of Streets of London on the comb and paper and then maybe assert my civic liberties with a protest of avant-garde interpretive dance.

I am minded to join you. I can yodel passably and my rendition of Ging Gang Gong Goolie Goolie Watcha is memorable for anyone who hears it on my loud hailer.

I may follow it up with the North Korean National Anthem. Badly.

+Quote Post
nerc
post Jun 28 2016, 04:49 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

Having checked with Wests Berks Council, there is no by law to stop buskers so the BID cannot enforce anything.

A similar thing happened at Camden Town not so long ago and after a challenge by way of potential high court writ the buskers were allowed to continue.

The BID have no legal rights to control this type of thing and should be taken to task.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 28 2016, 05:33 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (nerc @ Jun 28 2016, 05:49 AM) *
Having checked with Wests Berks Council, there is no by law to stop buskers so the BID cannot enforce anything.

A similar thing happened at Camden Town not so long ago and after a challenge by way of potential high court writ the buskers were allowed to continue.

The BID have no legal rights to control this type of thing and should be taken to task.

How's your Tuvan throat-singing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 28 2016, 07:54 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (nerc @ Jun 28 2016, 05:49 AM) *

However, maybe HMRC should have a look at their tax affairs?? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 28 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Couldn't we do some street theatre as a protest? Say stage a come back of the Bread Riots we used to have round here; who knows, we might even get the livestock market back.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
DJE
post Jun 28 2016, 01:20 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

(To be performed, accompanied with a euphonium and trombone, outside NDC's offices)

A cappella, FORTISSIMO:

A girl from Glamorgan can beg with a barrel organ
but down in West Berkshire they're not allowed ease.
One black one, one white one
which the wardens have their sights on
and practice their might on
until free speech does cease.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 28 2016, 09:25 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (DJE @ Jun 28 2016, 02:20 PM) *
(To be performed, accompanied with a euphonium and trombone, outside NDC's offices)

A cappella, FORTISSIMO:

A girl from Glamorgan can beg with a barrel organ
but down in West Berkshire they're not allowed ease.
One black one, one white one
which the wardens have their sights on
and practice their might on
until free speech does cease.

oh I know most of the other verses to that one.....

Anyways...about time we had the South American Pan Pipe Orchestra back in town... the last CD I bought off them has worn out.....

The BID's answer to buskers...

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jun 28 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jun 28 2016, 10:25 PM) *
oh I know most of the other verses to that one.....

Anyways...about time we had the South American Pan Pipe Orchestra back in town... the last CD I bought off them has worn out.....

The BID's answer to buskers...

Should have made a backup then..

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 29 2016, 07:33 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jun 28 2016, 10:42 PM) *
Should have made a backup then..

Should have made a few, then you could have sold them at a market stall.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 29 2016, 08:10 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jun 28 2016, 10:25 PM) *

Well I wasn't expecting that!
That's the best laugh I've had for a while.
Priceless.
Still wiping tears from my eys!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
DJE
post Jun 29 2016, 08:41 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

So who are BID exactly? from their website, I see that I was wrong about one point - the council do not force businesses to subscribe to BID; BID is a private company set up to 'manage' the town centre, accountable only to it's member businesses.

They apparently have assumed authority to licence events in the town centre- seemingly even on the public highway. Since when was the public highway privatised?

I can see positive aspects of a business voluntarily acting to improve the environment of the town centre, but I do not see by what authority they think they are virtually a second police force and arbiters on what is or is not acceptable public performance, etc.

Perhaps BID needs to be brought to heel before things get out of hand.

http://newburybid.com/bid-facts.aspx

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 29 2016, 12:46 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Perhaps they could do the same thing with chuggers.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 29 2016, 02:26 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (DJE @ Jun 29 2016, 09:41 AM) *
So who are BID exactly? from their website, I see that I was wrong about one point - the council do not force businesses to subscribe to BID; BID is a private company set up to 'manage' the town centre, accountable only to it's member businesses.

They apparently have assumed authority to licence events in the town centre- seemingly even on the public highway. Since when was the public highway privatised?

I can see positive aspects of a business voluntarily acting to improve the environment of the town centre, but I do not see by what authority they think they are virtually a second police force and arbiters on what is or is not acceptable public performance, etc.

Perhaps BID needs to be brought to heel before things get out of hand.

http://newburybid.com/bid-facts.aspx

According to the link, they are forced to pay - via a set levy. Perhaps a formal complaint should be raised about people personating public servants. If I was a trader in the town, I think I'd be ****** off having to pay a property tax; notionally for the Council and then pay an extra levy to pay even more to do their job. It's a bit like taking your van to a garage and them charging you more because they claim they used the better mechanic.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
DJE
post Jun 30 2016, 11:38 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 29 2016, 03:26 PM) *
According to the link, they are forced to pay - via a set levy. Perhaps a formal complaint should be raised about people personating public servants. If I was a trader in the town, I think I'd be ****** off having to pay a property tax; notionally for the Council and then pay an extra levy to pay even more to do their job. It's a bit like taking your van to a garage and them charging you more because they claim they used the better mechanic.

Ah, so they are a private organisation that 'collects' contributions - let's call them 'tributes' - from local businesses to 'protect' them from the evil people on the local streets, to ensure that 'accidents don't happen' to the businesses.

Something like that?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:27 PM