IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Year Honours, Market forces please!
On the edge
post Dec 30 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

So, the list has been published! Some deserved, some not; but its still imposed. Wouldn't a 'Strictly' style vote be far more in tune with modern needs? Using premium rate phone lines to do this, would probably even make a nice profit for the exchequer.

As it is, we have a list of executive choice heros, being given an outmoded medallion representing an abandoned empire, by a 'constitutional' monarch's 'ceremonial' lieutenant from a defunct county!

The whole thing is simply just a joke.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Dec 30 2017, 11:37 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 30 2017, 10:08 AM) *
So, the list has been published! Some deserved, some not; but its still imposed. Wouldn't a 'Strictly' style vote be far more in tune with modern needs? Using premium rate phone lines to do this, would probably even make a nice profit for the exchequer.

As it is, we have a list of executive choice heros, being given an outmoded medallion representing an abandoned empire, by a 'constitutional' monarch's 'ceremonial' lieutenant from a defunct county!

The whole thing is simply just a joke.

Do I detect a hint of sour grapes ? The prospect of a gong tops most people's wish list , whether deserved or , as in most cases , not .
The shame of the system is that most are awarded because the recipient fits the required profile as opposed to being singled out for doing something outstanding .
Better luck next time . wink.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 30 2017, 12:14 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Dec 30 2017, 11:37 AM) *
Do I detect a hint of sour grapes ? The prospect of a gong tops most people's wish list , whether deserved or , as in most cases , not .
The shame of the system is that most are awarded because the recipient fits the required profile as opposed to being singled out for doing something outstanding .

Sir Nicholas Clegg??? WTF?????

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 30 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

I think lord Corbyn has a certain ring to it, don't you?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 30 2017, 01:09 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 30 2017, 12:46 PM) *
I think lord Corbyn has a certain ring to it, don't you?

As if JC would take a place in the Lords.

Time will show that we had BC... Before Corbyn.

Read the below from one of his "disciples"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2...inheritance-tax

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 30 2017, 05:09 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Dec 30 2017, 11:37 AM) *

Perhaps I move in the wrong circles. I have two quite close friends who have both turned down 'OBE' and a former colleague who said no to a 'K'. I suspect it's becoming more a generation thing, many of us wrinklies grasping onto outworn traditions. The Empire has gone and it ain't coming back.

The only sour grapes from me arise because of the bogus peers we create, now if that's on offer; daily allowance, generous expences, exclusive parking space and club membership in central London. Plus the chance to gob off on any subject you like...bring it on!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 30 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 30 2017, 01:09 PM) *
As if JC would take a place in the Lords.

Time will show that we had BC... Before Corbyn.

Read the below from one of his "disciples"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2...inheritance-tax

It's old news, the 1907 Lloyd George Budget again! Don't worry, new wealth comes and goes in most Western economies, you must have heard the expression 'clogs to clogs in three generations'.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 30 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 30 2017, 05:17 PM) *
It's old news, the 1907 Lloyd George Budget again! Don't worry, new wealth comes and goes in most Western economies, you must have heard the expression 'clogs to clogs in three generations'.

Well, my relatives are going to be slightly 'pissed' as they say. All ours, properties, cash, bonds, in fact everything, the whole shebang is going to animal charities. It would be worth sticking around just to see the looks on their faces! laugh.gif

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 30 2017, 09:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 30 2017, 05:49 PM) *
Well, my relatives are going to be slightly 'pissed' as they say. All ours, properties, cash, bonds, in fact everything, the whole shebang is going to animal charities. It would be worth sticking around just to see the looks on their faces! laugh.gif

Doubt if you'll be alone; will amuse the rest of us too!! The only niggling worry I've got is that grasping lawyers are ever ready to pounce and some recent rulings are disconcerting. Nonetheless Jarndyce v Jarndyce still has the same end effect and is longer lasting.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 30 2017, 10:30 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 30 2017, 09:01 PM) *
Doubt if you'll be alone; will amuse the rest of us too!! The only niggling worry I've got is that grasping lawyers are ever ready to pounce and some recent rulings are disconcerting. Nonetheless Jarndyce v Jarndyce still has the same end effect and is longer lasting.

I've got a really good executor on my side, head screwed on. Let the ******** fight for it.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 30 2017, 11:28 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 30 2017, 10:30 PM) *
I've got a really good executor on my side, head screwed on. Let the ******** fight for it.

I see a challenge diagnosis of senility / alzhameirs etc on the cards. Better still. Tell them. It might encourage them to do something other than waiting for you to croak. I know a lot of 30 and 40 something's doing nowt but waiting for an inheritnce that will set them up. Without that "guarantee" they may have to reevaluate the lives they live. I intend on spending every penny and if possible leaving a few debts!! 😂

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 31 2017, 09:12 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 30 2017, 11:28 PM) *
I see a challenge diagnosis of senility / alzhameirs etc on the cards. Better still. Tell them. It might encourage them to do something other than waiting for you to croak. I know a lot of 30 and 40 something's doing nowt but waiting for an inheritnce that will set them up. Without that "guarantee" they may have to reevaluate the lives they live. I intend on spending every penny and if possible leaving a few debts!! 😂

That's great! if this way of thinking becomes the norm, we'll rid ourselves of the impetus for Mrs T and Johnnie M's raw capitalisim. Their belief that one of our prime drivers is to see 'wealth cascading through the generations'. Works only for the top draw!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Jan 2 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 31 2017, 09:12 AM) *
That's great! if this way of thinking becomes the norm, we'll rid ourselves of the impetus for Mrs T and Johnnie M's raw capitalisim. Their belief that one of our prime drivers is to see 'wealth cascading through the generations'. Works only for the top draw!

With all the austerity cuts, I've never understood why the Government just doesn't get round to scrapping the House of Lords. It can't be that difficult, firms arena,ways scrapping redundant layers of management.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 4 2018, 07:51 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 30 2017, 11:28 PM) *

Oh the irony TDH. Right now I know a lot of 30 to 40 something's doing nowt but....waiting for a b***** train!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 4 2018, 10:20 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 4 2018, 08:51 AM) *
Oh the irony TDH. Right now I know a lot of 30 to 40 something's doing nowt but....waiting for a b***** train!

Train services on our line are more that double the frequency that they were under BR when you and I were 30 - 40 OTE! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 4 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 4 2018, 10:20 AM) *
Train services on our line are more that double the frequency that they were under BR when you and I were 30 - 40 OTE! tongue.gif

Quite right Biker, but they did at least move! laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 4 2018, 12:27 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 4 2018, 12:42 PM) *
Quite right Biker, but they did at least move! laugh.gif

Not as often as you may like to think !! laugh.gif
I have a picture but can't be arsed to post it, but the service to Bedwyn during the day was a single rail car every 2 hours with a change at Newbury!

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Jan 7 2018, 08:02 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 4 2018, 12:27 PM) *
Not as often as you may like to think !! laugh.gif
I have a picture but can't be arsed to post it, but the service to Bedwyn during the day was a single rail car every 2 hours with a change at Newbury!

Who wants to go to Bedwyn? There is nothing there.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 7 2018, 05:05 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (The Hatter @ Jan 7 2018, 08:02 AM) *
Who wants to go to Bedwyn? There is nothing there.

Ho Ho , so speaks the voice of youth!

Mind, there is something in that. Back in the 1960s there was cheap fuel as well as free love....most of us were using cars big time. So the Government of the day decided to cut much of the network, I think even Bedwyn was on the shut list! Front man **** Beeching took the bullet for the Transport Minister of the day, Ernie Marples...now there is an interesting character... Odd really, they were at it back then, but we still keep voting them back in!

laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jan 8 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 7 2018, 05:05 PM) *
Ho Ho , so speaks the voice of youth!

Mind, there is something in that. Back in the 1960s there was cheap fuel as well as free love....most of us were using cars big time. So the Government of the day decided to cut much of the network, I think even Bedwyn was on the shut list! Front man **** Beeching took the bullet for the Transport Minister of the day, Ernie Marples...now there is an interesting character... Odd really, they were at it back then, but we still keep voting them back in!

laugh.gif

Nothing has a shorter retentive memory than a UK voter . wink.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:41 PM