Reply to this topicStart new topic
> facebook's NEWBURY PAST & PRESENT group under threat from closure
Andy Capp
post Sep 4 2014, 08:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

There's s Facebook group called NEWBURY PAST & PRESENT and it seems the group's creator under the threat of closure has been told to remove anything that refers to or speculates about current activities on Greenham Common? Anyone know about this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fefe
post Sep 4 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 120

I've seen the page and the comments and don't understand why people discussing or even speculating is reason enough for the page to be threatened with shutting down. I love that page and have learnt a lot from it and enjoy reading about peoples memories from the area. Seems any authority wants to put duct tape on mouths of opinions and for raising simple questions. The fact its been mentioned only heightens the speculation right?

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 5 2014, 11:31 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Yes it really is quite strange Fefe, one of the threads seemed to disappear as I was about to comment.
There is a website for Quintons' sale prospectus of the silo storage areas.
The pictures are interesting. The idea that a few locals are burrowing inside
and annoying the security guards shows strange parania. Famous last words!
ce

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Sep 5 2014, 03:45 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Newburypastpresent/

Just goes to show that ECHELON is still working to keep us all safe in these days of electronic communications...

--------------------
Obnoxious possiby, VEXATIOUS definitely not.

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 5 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

'Twas ever thus". Garry. Pa was part of Bletchley park stuff in North Africa in the Torch times.
After that they were listening into what was going on in Russia and the Balkans (1945/6)

Agatha Christie and her husband were well known for discovering Nineveh in northern Iraq, but (allegedly) were used by
intelligence gatherers to listen in to Soviet communications.
ce

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 5 2014, 05:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 4 2014, 09:26 PM) *
There's s Facebook group called NEWBURY PAST & PRESENT and it seems the group's creator under the threat of closure has been told to remove anything that refers to or speculates about current activities on Greenham Common? Anyone know about this?

Whatever is going on up there that we don't know about.

This isn't a gagging order from JSH of Greenham Council about the Control Tower is it.

There aren't any allotments up there are there. Simon, heard anything ???.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Sep 5 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Very unlikely to be anything to do with national security - far more likely that someone doesn't want crowds appearing to try to catch a glimpse of Brad Pitt.

Shameful response by Facebook.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showb...movie-fury.html

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Sep 8 2014, 09:54 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

I think the owner of that Facebook site is being 'wound-up'. Either that or he wants / needs the publicity. (I notice he hasn't posted any of the alleged messages from Facebook H.Q.)

'Fury' is being released in approximately a months time. It is unlikely that they are still filming anywhere. Brad is presently in Gozo, and will be there for 8 weeks.

What IS being shot up there is the new Star Wars movie. Hence all the 'blue screens' being up. Sadly. it's all second unit and effects footage, so there are no big 'stars' up there.

+Quote Post
The Optimist
post Sep 10 2014, 02:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,721

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Sep 8 2014, 10:54 AM) *
I think the owner of that Facebook site is being 'wound-up'. Either that or he wants / needs the publicity. (I notice he hasn't posted any of the alleged messages from Facebook H.Q.)

'Fury' is being released in approximately a months time. It is unlikely that they are still filming anywhere. Brad is presently in Gozo, and will be there for 8 weeks.

What IS being shot up there is the new Star Wars movie. Hence all the 'blue screens' being up. Sadly. it's all second unit and effects footage, so there are no big 'stars' up there.

Agree about the filming points. Here's a link/pic for anyone interested. No big human stars but the Falcon is a star for me smile.gif

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/09/...-and-x.html?m=1

+Quote Post
Roadhawke
post Sep 11 2014, 06:47 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 9,013

QUOTE (The Optimist @ Sep 10 2014, 03:28 PM) *
Agree about the filming points. Here's a link/pic for anyone interested. No big human stars but the Falcon is a star for me smile.gif

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/09/...-and-x.html?m=1

Yes, that photo has also been shown on BBC Breakfast today.

+Quote Post
Ron
post Sep 11 2014, 07:55 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (Roadhawke @ Sep 11 2014, 07:47 AM) *
Yes, that photo has also been shown on BBC Breakfast today.

I posted on another topic but if you go to Airbourne Aviation at Popham and take a trial flight you will be able to see it all.

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Sep 11 2014, 03:37 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Sep 8 2014, 10:54 AM) *

TBH: In all fairness to Ashley, with over 5,000 members the Newbury Past & Present group does not need the publicity or attention. I also know that he is reasonably careful on who is actually allowed to join the group.

With regard to the other point, whilst I agree he should post the messages from facebook. Your comment shows how little you know about facebook, as sadly if Ashley was to post any such messages, he would be in breach of facebook strict and I would say draconian TOS/AUP or as likes them to be called "statement of rights and responsiblities".

I know for a fact that facebook would not only DELETE the group, but they would also DELETE Ashley's personal profile and the profiles of any other of the groups admins.

Me personally though, I would post them anyway! As like I posted in reply to Ashley in the group, facebook UK is bound by not only UK laws, but also EU laws that enshrine FREEDOM OF SPEECH & FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION, the fact that their UK servers are based in Ireland guarantees that whether facebook likes it or not!

--------------------

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 11 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Sep 11 2014, 04:37 PM) *
Me personally though, I would post them anyway! As like I posted in reply to Ashley in the group, facebook UK is bound by not only UK laws, but also EU laws that enshrine FREEDOM OF SPEECH & FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION, the fact that their UK servers are based in Ireland guarantees that whether facebook likes it or not!

Facebook is not bound to honour the Articles of the Human Rights Act as Section 6. of the HRA only makes it unlawful for a public authority to act in a way which is incompatible with a Convention right. Private individuals and organisations are free to act as incompatibly as they like with the Convention Rights, although to some degree the HRA also obliges the state to legislate to protect the citizen's Convention Rights so if there was a problem the state may have to consider legislation.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 11 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 11 2014, 06:22 PM) *
Facebook is not bound to honour the Articles of the Human Rights Act as Section 6. of the HRA only makes it unlawful for a public authority to act in a way which is incompatible with a Convention right. Private individuals and organisations are free to act as incompatibly as they like with the Convention Rights, although to some degree the HRA also obliges the state to legislate to protect the citizen's Convention Rights so if there was a problem the state may have to consider legislation.
Yes, you're right. It would be a bit like sending a letter into a national newspaper and complaining about freedom of speech if they didn't publish it. It's the newspaper's publication as Facebook is theirs, and what appears in it is up to them.

The simple answer is, if you don't like Facebook or the company's practices, don't use it.

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Sep 11 2014, 08:20 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Good evening people I have just received the following email, as I promised it gives me great pleasure in publishing these threats. As I very much doubt that they have THREATENED the BBC or ITV NEWS in the same!

I also wish to say that I have posted the complete email on facebook, although I would expect facebook to get stroppy.

So watch this space....

***Copied & Pasted***

steve@acceleratedintelligence.co.uk
Date: 11/09/2014 (time: 18:34)
Subject: Greenham Common set pictures

Dear Sirs,

We are contacting you on behalf of the Star Wars VII production team, after photography from their film set has appeared on your Facebook page. We would please ask you to remove these images (and the video) from your page with immediate effect, as they have been obtained illegally and potentially infringe copyright.

Many thanks,

Steve

Steve Nash
Ai Ltd

Office: (+44) 207 353 4215
Email: steve@acceleratedintelligence.co.uk

--------------------

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 11 2014, 08:25 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Sep 11 2014, 09:20 PM) *
Good evening people I have just received the following email, as I promised it gives me great pleasure in publishing these threats. As I very much doubt that they have THREATENED the BBC or ITV NEWS in the same!

I also wish to say that I have posted the complete email on facebook, although I would expect facebook to get stroppy.

So watch this space....

***Copied & Pasted***

steve@acceleratedintelligence.co.uk
Date: 11/09/2014 (time: 18:34)
Subject: Greenham Common set pictures

Dear Sirs,

We are contacting you on behalf of the Star Wars VII production team, after photography from their film set has appeared on your Facebook page. We would please ask you to remove these images (and the video) from your page with immediate effect, as they have been obtained illegally and potentially infringe copyright.

Many thanks,

Steve

Steve Nash
Ai Ltd

Office: (+44) 207 353 4215
Email: steve@acceleratedintelligence.co.uk

Seems fair enough to me, a copyright holder is entitled to try and protect their copyright, even if it's just bluster.

However, wasn't the claim that Facebook had threatened to take down the page and erase the page owner's account? No evidence that any of that happened is there?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Sep 11 2014, 08:48 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I see that they have NOT tried to bully or threaten the BBC, ITV News, Sky News and any other mainstream news media organisation, but only trying to bully individuals. Pfffffffffffffffft.

Still if the guy gets the following pulled, then I will take the guy seriously, but until then!

[http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29144135

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/20...r-photographer/

http://news.sky.com/story/1333471/millenni...ks-photographer

Good Luck, Mr Nash, lets hope the force is with you!

--------------------

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 11 2014, 08:50 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Sep 11 2014, 09:48 PM) *
I see that they have NOT tried to bully or threaten the BBC, ITV News, Sky News and any other mainstream news media organisation, but only trying to bully individuals.
Do you know the BBC, ITV News, Sky News and any other mainstream news media organisation didn't receive a similar email?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 11 2014, 09:12 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Sep 11 2014, 09:48 PM) *
I see that they have NOT tried to bully or threaten the BBC, ITV News, Sky News and any other mainstream news media organisation, but only trying to bully individuals. Pfffffffffffffffft.

Still if the guy gets the following pulled, then I will take the guy seriously, but until then!

[http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29144135

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/20...r-photographer/

http://news.sky.com/story/1333471/millenni...ks-photographer

Good Luck, Mr Nash, lets hope the force is with you!

But you said specifically: "With regard to the other point, whilst I agree he should post the messages from facebook. Your comment shows how little you know about facebook, as sadly if Ashley was to post any such messages, he would be in breach of facebook strict and I would say draconian TOS/AUP or as likes them to be called "statement of rights and responsiblities".

I know for a fact that facebook would not only DELETE the group, but they would also DELETE Ashley's personal profile and the profiles of any other of the groups admins."

Is that right? Do you have evidence for all of that?

In my view Facebook would be foolish not to demand that members removed material that infringed copyright because it would leave them open to a claim for damages, and as it would in general be difficult to identify the real-world members to bring an action against, Facebook itself is the most likely target of copyright infringement action. It's my guess that it's a condition of a Facebook account that you don't post material for which you don't own the copyright, so it's only reasonable that Facebook will remove content when the copyright holder complains.

As an aside, a copyright holder's interests are protected by Article 1 of the First protocol of the Human Rights Act and Section 6. obliges the state to act to protect proprietorial rights, by for example signing up to the Berne Convention.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Sep 11 2014, 11:20 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

The IGNORE USER's feature on these boards is handy, as it saves having to read some stuff. Just a shame it is not like the "blocked" list on fb though! smile.gif

--------------------

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:30 PM