Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury Cinema, Coming Soon Near You!
Good Boy Racer
post Jun 23 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

Just thought i might start a topic about the new cinema coming to Newbury. I don't see any topics on it at the moment, so i hope you don't mind.

What's your thoughts on this cinema and do you think it's going to be a success?

Reading the NWN paper, i read that it will be ready during Late October early November? I just hope it's in time for the new SAW VI, very exciting stuff.
Has anyone heard what shops are going to be placed in there and when advertising starts? Love to know this.

Here's my thought on the cinema, i think it's going to be a success and a success for Newbury. So much easier than to travel to Basingstoke for example, driving down the dangerous A339 road.

7 screens i think i read... hard to imagine when you think of the space there is to build it there... ODEAN in Basingstoke still wins though, i think theres about 9+?, But 7 is good enough for me.

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wicca
post Jun 23 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 62

It'll be nice to get a bus in, watch a movie, have a few drinks afterwards then go home on the bus, instead of travelling to Reading all the time.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 23 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I am looking forward to the cinema coming. The last time I went to a film was in Reading a couple of years ago. I went with my son to watch Die-hard 4.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jun 23 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

Really looking forward to this! I rarely go out to the cinema because of the distance I'd have to travel. I usually go to the cinema for about 8pm or 9pm and once the movie is over, it's quite late. The last thing I want to do after watching a movie is spend 20+ minutes driving home. Definitely going to be a good thing for Newbury, will give kids something different to do.

I believe the real question will be when the cinema will REALLY be open for business wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 23 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andrea @ Jun 23 2009, 01:23 PM) *
Really looking forward to this! I rarely go out to the cinema because of the distance I'd have to travel. I usually go to the cinema for about 8pm or 9pm and once the movie is over, it's quite late. The last thing I want to do after watching a movie is spend 20+ minutes driving home. Definitely going to be a good thing for Newbury, will give kids something different to do.

I believe the real question will be when the cinema will REALLY be open for business wink.gif

They say Novememberish.... maybe we should add a couple of months on laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jun 23 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 23 2009, 01:37 PM) *
They say Novememberish.... maybe we should add a couple of months on laugh.gif

I know what you are saying, looking at the state of the place now it is hard to see how they can finish it by November (anybody involved the project feel free to set us straight). I can't wait though, love going to the cinema but certainly don't go as much as i'd like because of the travelling.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 23 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Is it the case that the Parking for this Cinema is going to be underground? If so, I hope that the area is well lit and patrolled by Cinema staff as it will beome a mecca for alcoholics, thieves and drug users otherwise.

+Quote Post
AmieB
post Jun 23 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

Cant wait. Especially to see the new Saw movie. I really hope they have some nice restaurants there, and not too expensive. Its definatly a good thing for Newbury, and think of all the jobs it will provide.

Whats the betting the council will put evening parking up? Not that I would drive in as I like to have a drink! All though its still cheaper to park here in the evening than Reading. I went for a meal and then the cinema there and the car park come to about £8!!

The new cinema can only be a good thing for Newbury !

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 23 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Jun 23 2009, 02:01 PM) *
I know what you are saying, looking at the state of the place now it is hard to see how they can finish it by November (anybody involved the project feel free to set us straight). I can't wait though, love going to the cinema but certainly don't go as much as i'd like because of the travelling.

I agree... I also have been waiting for the DVD's to come out before seeing the film. But will be looking forward to it. I wanted to see the Watchmaker, Star Trek and Wolverine... now I'll have to wait until they are out on DVD.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 23 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 23 2009, 02:10 PM) *
Is it the case that the Parking for this Cinema is going to be underground? If so, I hope that the area is well lit and patrolled by Cinema staff as it will beome a mecca for alcoholics, thieves and drug users otherwise.

If we do have such problems then it will put people of going.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jun 23 2009, 01:53 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

One problem scenario I can see happening regularly on a Friday/Saturday night is sober people coming out of the cinema around 11ish to be greeted by the drunks either heading to liquid or hanging around Montys and Chicagos.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 23 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Jun 23 2009, 02:53 PM) *
One problem scenario I can see happening regularly on a Friday/Saturday night is sober people coming out of the cinema around 11ish to be greeted by the drunks either heading to liquid or hanging around Montys and Chicagos.

Exactly my thoughts Gumbo. I can just see the scene now. You have had a pleasant soberish evening with you girlfriend / wife and come out to be greeted by drunken yobbos that have been refused entry to Liquid and after you have managed to circumnavigate them without getting 'involved' you then have to run the risk of a dimly lit car park full of druggies.

But then again - Perhaps my glass is half empty when it should be half full? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jun 23 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

I vote get rid of liquid! biggrin.gif

I have to admit, I have a hard time understanding how they're going to fit 7 screens, restaurants, car parking, and whatever else on that tiny corner plot. Although admittedly I haven't read much into the plans of the area... are they taking over some of the kennet centre for some restaurants? huh.gif

I would love to see a Nandos in there!

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post Jun 23 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Jun 23 2009, 02:53 PM)

Exactly my thoughts Gumbo. I can just see the scene now. You have had a pleasant soberish evening with you girlfriend / wife and come out to be greeted by drunken yobbos that have been refused entry to Liquid and after you have managed to circumnavigate them without getting 'involved' you then have to run the risk of a dimly lit car park full of druggies.

But then again - Perhaps my glass is half empty when it should be half full?

I just only thought of that! Can you imagine the chaos of drunks and druggies trying to get in the cinema after leaving liquid or where ever else they came from??? I can see this being a real problem, so security may be in need for the place!

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 23 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #15

Guests

Come on people be positive.

Newbury at night is no worse and quite possibly better than other, larger nearby towns.

Personally I have been mostly using the cinema at Didcot recently. Only 20 or so minutes away and right next to Sainsburys so parking is not a problem.

Bring it on, it's been over 10 years since we've had a purpose built cinema, which is dreadful given the population of the catchment area.

Let's hope it is sensibly priced too and maybe they could show older films too as well as the new releases. Cult classics, all time greats, music films that sort of thing.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 23 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 23 2009, 04:08 PM) *

Newbury at night is no worse and quite possibly better than other, larger nearby towns.

Personally I have been mostly using the cinema at Didcot recently. Only 20 or so minutes away and right next to Sainsburys so parking is not a problem.

Bring it on, it's been over 10 years since we've had a purpose built cinema, which is dreadful given the population of the catchment area.

Let's hope it is sensibly priced too and maybe they could show older films too as well as the new releases. Cult classics, all time greats, music films that sort of thing.

Agree with you entirely Bill on the need for a Cinema. I am certain they are building it in the wrong location though. Wait and see.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jun 23 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 23 2009, 04:08 PM) *

Don't get me wrong Bill1 I want the cinema and am really looking forward to it but I also know Newbury on a Friday night and at times it isn't a pretty place. Like Andrea I haven't seen the plans so maybe this wont be a problem but we'll see. In Reading and Basingstoke both areas are well lit and you don't really have to walk past loads of drunks to get to your cars, hopefully Newbury will be the same.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jun 23 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

I thought the multi-storey was to remain open late to accommodate the parking?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Road User
post Jun 24 2009, 07:15 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Andy @ Jun 23 2009, 05:35 PM) *
I thought the multi-storey was to remain open late to accommodate the parking?

I am very much looking forward to the new cinema. I normaly go to the Odeaon in Basingstoke. I prefer to watch films without lots of mobile phones going off and little kids whinging or crying so my husband and I go on Saturday afternoons. The cinema usually has only a handful of people in it and they tend to be ones who actually want to see the film and not just take up space chatting to their mates on the phone. This also elimnates the problem of drunken abusive yobs spoiling the film or throwing up on your shoes as you leave the cinema. wink.gif

+Quote Post
AmieB
post Jun 24 2009, 07:56 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (Road User @ Jun 24 2009, 08:15 AM) *
I am very much looking forward to the new cinema. I normaly go to the Odeaon in Basingstoke. I prefer to watch films without lots of mobile phones going off and little kids whinging or crying so my husband and I go on Saturday afternoons. The cinema usually has only a handful of people in it and they tend to be ones who actually want to see the film and not just take up space chatting to their mates on the phone. This also elimnates the problem of drunken abusive yobs spoiling the film or throwing up on your shoes as you leave the cinema. wink.gif

I dont think I have ever seen a film with little kids whinging or crying inless i've gone to watch a cartoon, which therefore would expect it..... smile.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:23 PM