Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Merkel, Will she survive?
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 20 2016, 10:17 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Probably as Germans seem to be quite accepting of the large number of migrants, the majority of whom must be peaceful.

Just glad she is not in charge of the UK. Good luck to the Germans. Doing the "right" thing has a price. Some German civillians have paid it. Just sad.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 22 2016, 04:49 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 20 2016, 10:17 PM) *
Probably as Germans seem to be quite accepting of the large number of migrants, the majority of whom must be peaceful.

Just glad she is not in charge of the UK. Good luck to the Germans. Doing the "right" thing has a price. Some German civillians have paid it. Just sad.

I'd hate to see what we'd find in terms of deviance amongst a million Brits. What, perhaps 500 paedophile football coaches? 30 murderers? But in any case it now it now appears the person they seek was actually refused asylum.

That said, with hindsight it does appear Merkel was wrong, but more because it helped foster prejudice and right wing views in Germany and elsewhere than anything.

This Christmas when we give thanks, remember to thank God for the luck of being born in the U.K. during a period of peace and prosperity.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 22 2016, 08:59 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 22 2016, 05:49 AM) *
I'd hate to see what we'd find in terms of deviance amongst a million Brits. What, perhaps 500 paedophile football coaches? 30 murderers? But in any case it now it now appears the person they seek was actually refused asylum.

That said, with hindsight it does appear Merkel was wrong, but more because it helped foster prejudice and right wing views in Germany and elsewhere than anything.

This Christmas when we give thanks, remember to thank God for the luck of being born in the U.K. during a period of peace and prosperity.

We need to remember to be safe, report any suspicious activity, be aware of possible danger at large public gatherings and generally watch our backs. This thinking that we can dodder around and still stay safe is so last year.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 22 2016, 11:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 22 2016, 04:49 AM) *

The reason right wing views have been fostered is not just Merkels fault. It has been globalisation, business wants (not needs) for cheap labour and VERY weak leadership by all western leaders. All were afraid of being labelled racist and right wing when in fact all they should have been doing is creating a solid practical approach to population control. I dont care what colour people are or where they come from. I do care about my mother not getting treated because of over population. Selfish. Yes. Wrong? Not sure. If you pay in with tax and NI for 30 odd years you would hope to get some help. But....

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 23 2016, 12:17 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 22 2016, 11:15 PM) *
The reason right wing views have been fostered is not just Merkels fault. It has been globalisation, business wants (not needs) for cheap labour and VERY weak leadership by all western leaders. All were afraid of being labelled racist and right wing when in fact all they should have been doing is creating a solid practical approach to population control. I dont care what colour people are or where they come from. I do care about my mother not getting treated because of over population. Selfish. Yes. Wrong? Not sure. If you pay in with tax and NI for 30 odd years you would hope to get some help. But....

But my understanding is that overall the tax take is up as a result of immigration and that because of the age profile of immigrants their use of the health service is disproportionately low. If my understanding is correct, why are you blaming immigrants for the fact that we have an aging population, a growing drug bill and under investment in the NHS?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 23 2016, 09:02 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Not to mention a soaring home availability problem.

+Quote Post
Rdg
post Dec 23 2016, 10:27 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,577

But all these problems are far more to do with an aging population than immigration. HUge generalisations coming up and they are all "on average"

Go back 40 years and the average man worked until a retirement at 65 and then only survived a couple of years to take a pension and be a burden on the welfare state - his wife lived longer but was given a pitiful pension anyway so regularly went to live with the family or in an old peoples home . You usually had 3 generations alive and people had no problem with children sharing rooms. Now a lot of the current pensioners retired before the age of 65, they are living as couples still in big houses, the divorce rate went up (more housing needed for that), most people aim to have a room per child if possible and very few want an elderly relative living with them ( people try and stay in their own homes as long as they can) even though children knowing their great grandparents is now not rare - from 1961-2011 the number of 1 or 2 person households grew from 44% to 64% of all households (england outside london).

http://www.lse.ac.uk/socialPolicy/Research...family-size.pdf

If the number of 1&2 person households has grown by 50% whilst the population has grown from 52.2m to 64.9m which is about 20% then it is obvious the housing problem is more a factor of household size than population size. Even more when you consider that the change in 1&2 person is of a rate whilst population is an absolute so 1&2 person households are 50% more of a base which is 20% higher to start with.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 23 2016, 11:35 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 20 2016, 11:17 PM) *

She's not likely to survive the elections.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 23 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 23 2016, 11:35 AM) *

Not yet convinced; we've lost the art of predicting the outcome of elections.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 23 2016, 02:32 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Add to that a reluctance for any government to push for policies that devalue privatly owned homes.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 23 2016, 02:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 23 2016, 12:17 AM) *
But my understanding is that overall the tax take is up as a result of immigration and that because of the age profile of immigrants their use of the health service is disproportionately low. If my understanding is correct, why are you blaming immigrants for the fact that we have an aging population, a growing drug bill and under investment in the NHS?

Yet another sweeping generalisation from you. Where in my comments did I blame immigrants? You are part of the problem. Anyone wanting to limit or cap the number of people in the Country is always right wing or racist. This is not true. And you know that. You can tell u came from London. Why did you leave by the way? Too many immigrants????? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 23 2016, 02:39 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 23 2016, 11:35 AM) *

Not sure about that. She ia popular in Germany. They like her. They are still apologising for WW2. Bit like us. We are still apologising for the Empire. Well some are....

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 23 2016, 04:23 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Merry non denominational festive day!

(in France, looking forward to seeing if I can make my liver explode!) laugh.gif

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 23 2016, 05:10 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 23 2016, 04:23 PM) *
Merry non denominational festive day!

(in France, looking forward to seeing if I can make my liver explode!) laugh.gif

Well, you aren't doing too badly with Newres spleen. laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 23 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 23 2016, 12:17 AM) *
Yes, that's right.

Immigrants provide a net contribution in taxes and (like it or not) provide cheaper labour.

People coming into this country have propped it up for years.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 23 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Interesting comments on Radio 4 Farming Today recently. A couple of turkey farmers bemoaning Brexit because they won't be able to get the labour they need from Poland as easily in future. When asked why not use UK labour? They said they'd tried and the UK staff was unreliable, not conscientious and unskilled!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 23 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

At least they managed to "neutralise" the main suspect in the Berlin massacre. Though I expect the Italians will have to pay compo to the family of said suspect. After all he was innocent until he had his mind changed by the evil terrorists. He had no choice.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 23 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 23 2016, 10:36 PM) *
At least they managed to "neutralise" the main suspect in the Berlin massacre. Though I expect the Italians will have to pay compo to the family of said suspect. After all he was innocent until he had his mind changed by the evil terrorists. He had no choice.

Good job it didn't happen here, committee meetings, support groups, free housing, access to lawyers to sue the policeman. " 'e was a good boy, never did no one no 'arm"

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 23 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 23 2016, 10:18 PM) *
Good job it didn't happen here, committee meetings, support groups, free housing, access to lawyers to sue the policeman. " 'e was a good boy, never did no one no 'arm"

.....I'm surprised we are still able to recruit Soldiers or Police officers these days.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 24 2016, 09:57 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 23 2016, 02:36 PM) *
Yet another sweeping generalisation from you. Where in my comments did I blame immigrants? You are part of the problem. Anyone wanting to limit or cap the number of people in the Country is always right wing or racist. This is not true. And you know that. You can tell u came from London. Why did you leave by the way? Too many immigrants????? laugh.gif

B*****y Londoners coming here and making us build over our lovely green fields.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:44 AM