> World Cup on a big screen in the Market Place?, Your thoughts
Mark NWN
post May 28 2010, 08:01 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 907

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=13440

ENGLAND’S upcoming World Cup campaign could be shown on a big screen in Newbury town centre.
The landlords of The Dolphin Hotel and the Snooty Fox, both in Bartholomew Street, and the Hogshead, in Wharf Street, have been in talks with West Berkshire Council over the possibility of setting up an outdoor screen in the market square to let fans watch World Cup games over the summer.
Matt Castle, landlord of The Dolphin Hotel and the Snooty Fox said: “It’s still early days but talks have been going well and we are hopeful of working something out. It’s been something that has been bubbling away for a while and we think it would be really good event for Newbury and the community.”
A spokeswoman for West Berkshire Council, Peta Stoddart-Crompton, said the publicans had met the council on Tuesday.
“The meeting was very positive and the organisers gave a good presentation to the Safety Advisory Group. The council is now looking forward to receiving a Temporary Events Notice from them,” she said.
If the event gets the go ahead it would be the first of its kind in Newbury.

What do you think of the proposal?

Is it something you'd like to see?

Let us know your thoughts on the matter. And in case you think this is more football news in the wrong place, a giant screen could be used for any kind of activity, even showing the final of X-Factor or something wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 28 2010, 08:08 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Mark NWN @ May 28 2010, 09:01 AM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=13440

What do you think of the proposal?

Is it something you'd like to see?

Let us know your thoughts on the matter. And in case you think this is more football news in the wrong place, a giant screen could be used for any kind of activity, even showing the final of X-Factor or something wink.gif

I don't want to put a downer on this idea but what would people do about the beer they will obviously want to be drinking whilst watcing the game? Would it be legal to be drinking in the Market Square or would some sort of temporary license be granted? As for the X Factor. I'd rather watch grass grow then watch that dross...

+Quote Post
Guest_NSF_1_*
post May 28 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #3

Guests

Brilliant idea

+Quote Post
Mark NWN
post May 28 2010, 08:52 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 907

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 28 2010, 09:08 AM) *
I don't want to put a downer on this idea but what would people do about the beer they will obviously want to be drinking whilst watcing the game? Would it be legal to be drinking in the Market Square or would some sort of temporary license be granted? As for the X Factor. I'd rather watch grass grow then watch that dross...

You are absolutely correct they would have to apply for a temporary licence.which would cover a set area, I don't think I could go something like that and not drink, even if its just the odd glass of coke.

Problem might be the hours of the games, off the top of my head I think it's 12:45, 3pm and 7:45 kick offs, so if you work regular(ish) hours, you're only going to be able to see one game a day sad.gif

+Quote Post
misc
post May 28 2010, 09:30 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 729

No, it's not something I'd like to see, be it for football, talent shows or any other purpose.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 28 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

I'm against this idea partly because I don't really see watching TV as a particularly wonderful town activity, but my main concern is that it would take trade away from the many pubs that are counting on the World Cup to boost their trade at a particularly difficult time.

Within pubs any overindulgent fans can be controlled more efficiently, the last thing Market Place businesses need is a rowdy crowd making the area one to avoid.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 28 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

The market place full of football fans efin' and blindin' all afternoon or evening? Sounds great. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Newburymafia_*
post May 28 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #8

Guests

If we've got to put up with the bloody football in the market place, I'd quite like to watch the F1 every weekend it's on too!...with a nice cold beer in hand smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 28 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Great idea. Would also like it used for Olympics.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 28 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #10

Guests

I think it's a fantastic idea as long as it's well monitored.

Watched loads of games in a large square in 98 in Malta, many nationalities there and everything went really well, I like to think it could happen here too.

You could have live music and/or DJs afterwards too.

+Quote Post
Roost
post May 28 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Call me cynical but I can't see it working somehow.

Think it's a great idea but along with that great idea of "cafe culture" I think there are inherent problems with trying to do something like this in the UK. Don't forget we're still fighting against 100 years of ingrained licensing laws that have only recentlt been relaxed.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
user23
post May 28 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Sounds like a good idea. Two England group matches are on Friday and Saturday evenings when the Market Place is busy anyway.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 28 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I think it is an excellent idea. It will put people in the mood and create a great fun football month for everybody in Newbury. I also think it would attract quite a few people.

Let us hope this idea is not just talk and they will do it.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 28 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 28 2010, 09:08 AM) *

I am sure they will give a special licence (for drinks) for while the World cup match is being played. Let us get in the mood.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 28 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (misc @ May 28 2010, 10:30 AM) *
No, it's not something I'd like to see, be it for football, talent shows or any other purpose.

That is ok... you don't have to go wink.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 28 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Good idea - I've always looked at other towns that do this and felt quite jealous.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 28 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 28 2010, 07:22 PM) *
Good idea - I've always looked at other towns that do this and felt quite jealous.

I agree, we should be bringing something good to Newbury, instead of just winos, drunks and tramps.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post May 28 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (GMR @ May 28 2010, 06:49 PM) *
I am sure they will give a special licence (for drinks) for while the World cup match is being played. Let us get in the mood.

Good idea and I've just seen the Toshiba advert exhorting us to buy a new laptop before June 10th. They say that if England win, then they'll refund the purchase price. Do they know something we don't? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post May 28 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #19

Guests

Excellent idea - hope it comes together.

I imagine the vast majority will be in good spirits and if anything it will bring footfall (through football) to the town centre.

Things like this can help enhance the fact that Newbury's a community at the end of the day.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 28 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ May 28 2010, 07:56 PM) *
Good idea and I've just seen the Toshiba advert exhorting us to buy a new laptop before June 10th. They say that if England win, then they'll refund the purchase price. Do they know something we don't? tongue.gif

Rumblows did the same many years ago. Was we got to the semi finals or whatever they started getting worried. In other words they don't expect England to win. I think we've got the best chance since the 1970s.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:25 PM