IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Far right wins in Austria, Makes sense...
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 16 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Thats where it started last time

Though I do think that as far right now seems to mean control of borders and anti mass immigration it seems that its more middle to me. But the parameters of what is far right seem to have changed. A lot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Turin Machine
post Dec 16 2017, 08:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 16 2017, 08:44 PM) *
Thats where it started last time

Though I do think that as far right now seems to mean control of borders and anti mass immigration it seems that its more middle to me. But the parameters of what is far right seem to have changed. A lot.

A university sent out a message re the snow to its students last week: "Are you thinking of a white Christmas, we're still open, come in for lectures" Got reported for 'racism' cos the used the word 'white'. Cant make it up? don't need to, it's here now.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 18 2017, 05:45 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 16 2017, 08:49 PM) *
A university sent out a message re the snow to its students last week: "Are you thinking of a white Christmas, we're still open, come in for lectures" Got reported for 'racism' cos the used the word 'white'. Cant make it up? don't need to, it's here now.

Are you sure that’s right? I heard it was “white campus” rather than Christmas, which you would agree would be open to a different interpretation whatever the intention.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 18 2017, 06:50 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 18 2017, 05:45 AM) *
Are you sure that’s right? I heard it was “white campus” rather than Christmas, which you would agree would be open to a different interpretation whatever the intention.

Checked the story and indeed it would appear that you have the right version. However, I see your correction and raise you with :

"This is not the first time someone has attacked a Christmas carol or tradition as being racist. A Boston University professor claims that the carol “Jingle Bells” has a “problematic history.” As one of the most common Christmas carols in the world, singers probably never knew where the song originated.

BU theater historian Kyna Hamill explains the history of the song as a one written and performed to make fun of African Americans. As she wrote in her research paper two years ago, “The legacy of ‘Jingle Bells’ is one where its blackface and racist origins have been subtly and systematically removed from its history.”

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:10 PM