IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Local Party Politics, Nothing more than a badge?
user23
post Feb 12 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

Richard Garvie, Community Organiser for Newbury Labour Party has claimed that being a member of Newbury Labour Party is nothing more than "Just a badge". Is this true of all local political parties or something limited to Labour?

What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 12 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 12 2011, 02:26 PM) *
Richard Garvie, Community Organiser for Newbury Labour Party has claimed that being a member of Newbury Labour Party is nothing more than "Just a badge". Is this true of all local political parties or something limited to Labour?

What do you think?

As stated on another post we all vote for the Party badge we tend to gain something from?

Just like you trying to justify everything the council does wrong? Trying to gain something? Human nature? tongue.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 12 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 12 2011, 02:31 PM) *
As stated on another post we all vote for the Party badge we tend to gain something from?

Just like you trying to justify everything the council does wrong? Trying to gain something? Human nature? tongue.gif
Do people become members of a local party just for the badge, like Richard, or because they believe in something more?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 12 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 12 2011, 02:35 PM) *
Do people become members of a local party just for the badge, like Richard, or because they believe in something more?

Listen carefully I will say this only once? They join because they hope to gain by it? tongue.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 12 2011, 02:40 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

I think you are being really unfair twisting what I said.

As I stated on the other thread, if you support the Tories nationally, does that mean you should support them locally when then are doing what they are doing?

I support Labour nationally, but if they were doing what the Tories are doing here by closing our day centres, building on Victoria Park and lying through their teeth about everything under the sun, I certainly wouldn't "wear the badge" locally.

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 12 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 12 2011, 02:38 PM) *
Listen carefully I will say this only once? They join because they hope to gain by it? tongue.gif
People like Richard join a party to gain something personally. It's just a badge to them.

Others join because they want to make a difference to their community and feel they can achieve more as a party than an individual, the whole being more than the sum of it's parts, and all that.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 12 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 12 2011, 02:38 PM) *

I don't agree. I wear the badge locally because I agree with their views. Labour in West Berkshire have a plan to deal with the mess created by the Tories. User23 can twist my words in any way he likes, but he can't get away from the fact that national political parties have very little say in building on Victoria Park or axing key services.

If Eric Pickles (Tory minister for local government) says that councils should axe back of house services, waste and only then cut public services, why hasn't Graham Jones and the Conservatives here paid any attention to him? David Cameron says he wants Unitary Authorities to be run as directly elected mayors. Why dodn't Graham Jones listen to him? The fact is, the Conservative members locally are Conservative Party supporters who wear the badge locally but are very much in control of which direction they take.

I would love to ask Cameron or Pickles whether they agree with the axing of more than half of our day centres, youth service cuts of 18.4% of cuts of more than eight percent to the education budget!!!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 12 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Feb 12 2011, 02:46 PM) *
I don't agree. I wear the badge locally because I agree with their views. Labour in West Berkshire have a plan to deal with the mess created by the Tories. User23 can twist my words in any way he likes, but he can't get away from the fact that national political parties have very little say in building on Victoria Park or axing key services.

If Eric Pickles (Tory minister for local government) says that councils should axe back of house services, waste and only then cut public services, why hasn't Graham Jones and the Conservatives here paid any attention to him? David Cameron says he wants Unitary Authorities to be run as directly elected mayors. Why dodn't Graham Jones listen to him? The fact is, the Conservative members locally are Conservative Party supporters who wear the badge locally.

I would love to ask Cameron or Pickles whether they agree with the axing of more than half of our day centres, youth service cuts of 18.4% of cuts of more than eight percent to the education budget!!!

The local Conservatives mafia types do not listen to anybody unless they are to gain from it?
Why would they take action that would put themselves out of a job especially in this economic climate that was created by their paymasters? bankers? Surely it is better to make others suffer who have no chance of being listened to if they complain? Nothing to be gained by backing day centers?

Most people join parties clubs etc to gain something? Knowledge, friendship, interests. Admittedly there are people who do something for nothing but they are in the minority and are few and far between. wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 12 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 12 2011, 03:00 PM) *
The local Conservatives mafia types do not listen to anybody unless they are to gain from it?
Why would they take action that would put themselves out of a job especially in this economic climate that was created by their paymasters? bankers? Surely it is better to make others suffer who have no chance of being listened to if they complain? Nothing to be gained by backing day centers?

Most people join parties clubs etc to gain something? Knowledge, friendship, interests. Admittedly there are people who do something for nothing but they are in the minority and are few and far between. wink.gif

There are a good number of people in this district who are interested in making a difference, they are just put off because thney feel they can't break down the status quo that exists. I've said all along that we should encourage other parties and independent candidates to stand if they have something to offer the district, but as you say, anything that threatens the ideal scenario certain people enjoy now is often dealt with by underhand methods such as twisting peoples comments and simply lying.

I don't care if people think I'm crazy, the more diversity we have at the council is a good thing. Independent / apolitical candidates should be encouraged to stand in addition to the parties, and having a majority of twenty is not good for anyone, even if you are the leader of that party. Maybe the reason the Conservative Party appear out of touch is because they have such a large majority, they get everything their own way. Even with nearly one thousand people opposing the pavillion, they still push ahead with the plans. If there was 20 Tories, 20 Labour and 16 Lib Dems / independents, we would have proper debate and discussion and things wouldn't get railroaded through.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 12 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Feb 12 2011, 03:14 PM) *
There are a good number of people in this district who are interested in making a difference, they are just put off because thney feel they can't break down the status quo that exists. I've said all along that we should encourage other parties and independent candidates to stand if they have something to offer the district, but as you say, anything that threatens the ideal scenario certain people enjoy now is often dealt with by underhand methods such as twisting peoples comments and simply lying.

I don't care if people think I'm crazy, the more diversity we have at the council is a good thing. Independent / apolitical candidates should be encouraged to stand in addition to the parties, and having a majority of twenty is not good for anyone, even if you are the leader of that party. Maybe the reason the Conservative Party appear out of touch is because they have such a large majority, they get everything their own way. Even with nearly one thousand people opposing the pavillion, they still push ahead with the plans. If there was 20 Tories, 20 Labour and 16 Lib Dems / independents, we would have proper debate and discussion and things wouldn't get railroaded through.

Or would nothing get done!!! tongue.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 12 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

If Eric Pickles (Tory minister for local government) says that councils should axe back of house services, waste and only then cut public services, why hasn't Graham Jones and the Conservatives here paid any attention to him? David Cameron says he wants Unitary Authorities to be run as directly elected mayors. Why dodn't Graham Jones listen to him? The fact is, the Conservative members locally are Conservative Party supporters who wear the badge locally but are very much in control of which direction they take.

And that is an incisive criticism of our local tories. I believe in David Cameron, and i believe in Eric Pickles and the Big Society. I do not believe in my conservative councillors.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 12 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 12 2011, 03:21 PM) *
And that is an incisive criticism of our local tories. I believe in David Cameron, and i believe in Eric Pickles and the Big Society. I do not believe in my conservative councillors.

I agree with some of what you are saying Simon. To the extent of the Big Society. Some of the best things happen when a community get together and decide to make something happen. I am all for that. The problem as I see it is when "professional" so called politicians become involved. Of course their are laws to comply with such as Health & Safety etc, but the local councils do not like amateurs getting involved in something the council should be doing. After all where will this sort of thing end? They may be out of jobs? No this sort of thing must be stopped?

Yes! I have become very cynical of all politicians of whatever creed I treat them the same as callers to my front door who's first words are I am not trying to sell you anything and then promptly do? Completely ignoring the notice on the door that states we do not buy or sell at the door etc.

I do believe people all over the world are totally fed up with politicians in general and this crisis caused mainly by the so called financiers of the world, who are generally the politicians paymasters, has made this even more so of late? Local politicians are certainly no better than the national ones, just unable to add enough spin to make something untrue sound true, and I do believe they must change their ways if they wish to continue?

Local politics need to be open and accountable they certainly are not at the moment are they? wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 12 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 12 2011, 02:26 PM) *
Richard Garvie, Community Organiser for Newbury Labour Party has claimed that being a member of Newbury Labour Party is nothing more than "Just a badge". Is this true of all local political parties or something limited to Labour? What do you think?

True of all the local versions of the three national parties.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 12 2011, 05:09 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

To address User's point: Yes, party affiliations are badges, and useful badges. There is an infinite variety of political opinion and the problem generally for independents is that voters don't know what they stand for. On a national scale Martin Bell is the exception who proves the rule because he was a well-respected TV reporter who stood on a well-understood anti-corruption ticket in a by-election so he didn't need to flag his political convictions because it wasn't about that. But largely we vote for policy, and we choose the party brand we're most comfortable with.

But it's inevitable, and positively desirable that there is a spectrum of values and beliefs within a party. The badge gives you a general idea, but you'd expect a range of opinion, even on key policies.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 12 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

RG, while you answered well I think, sadly this thread is simply a mischievous one, so it matters not one whit what you say.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 12 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Then ask them. I've always found you can either ask direct or through your local MP

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 12 2011, 08:44 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Feb 12 2011, 05:12 PM) *
RG, while you answered well I think, sadly this thread is simply a mischievous one, so it matters not one whit what you say.

Agree whole heartedly Iommi. RG will need very broad shoulders if he is to succeed. But is just goes to show you are getting to the local Mafia when they have to resort to these sort of tactics? Keep up the good work. wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Feb 13 2011, 07:11 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

QUOTE (Iommi @ Feb 12 2011, 05:12 PM) *

Yes. You've got to hand it to user. He's very good at goading. In fact, he's a master baiter.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 13 2011, 08:55 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I suspect supporters of other political parties in Newbury might see their organisation as more than "just a badge", they might actually believe in what their local party stands for.

We're still to hear from Newbury Labour party members who have been working all these years towards nothing more than a token it seems.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 13 2011, 09:27 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 13 2011, 08:55 AM) *
I suspect supporters of other political parties in Newbury might see their organisation as more than "just a badge", they might actually believe in what their local party stands for.

We're still to hear from Newbury Labour party members who have been working all these years towards nothing more than a token it seems.

They must feel nearly as bad as WBC Employees, working for years for an council that has now failed so dismally and sunk so low over the last year or so, yes must be terrible working towards nothing???? wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:14 PM