> Ema
Roost
post Jan 27 2011, 01:16 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

Don't get it.

Few years ago my parents managed to get me thru VIth form and to Uni without me being paid 30 Gbp a week to go to school. Neither have or ever had particularly well paying jobs. I myself worked both days every weekend and one or two nights a week thru VIth form and Uni to help pay for it all.

This is and has always been a gimmick.

Those protesting could always ask their parents to postpone their 50" tv's or second cars. Surely it's a question of priorities.7

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 27 2011, 09:32 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (Roost @ Jan 27 2011, 01:16 AM) *
Don't get it.

Few years ago my parents managed to get me thru VIth form and to Uni without me being paid 30 Gbp a week to go to school. Neither have or ever had particularly well paying jobs. I myself worked both days every weekend and one or two nights a week thru VIth form and Uni to help pay for it all.

This is and has always been a gimmick.

Those protesting could always ask their parents to postpone their 50" tv's or second cars. Surely it's a question of priorities.7

All I would say is that I couldn't stay on at school or attend university, because there is now way my family could afford it. People from similar backgrounds to me just won't be able to stay on at school. I believe everyone should have an equal education and opportunities to be who they want to be.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Jan 27 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

I also managed to spend three years at college without receiving this payment. The answer is as already stated.... an evening and weekend job.

This will provide students with both money and a life lesson - nothing is free, you have to earn it

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 27 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Simon @ Jan 27 2011, 09:56 AM) *
I also managed to spend three years at college without receiving this payment. The answer is as already stated.... an evening and weekend job.

This will provide students with both money and a life lesson - nothing is free, you have to earn it

I concur. The problem is we live in a 'something for nothing society' as a result of years of labours mis-spending and everyone expects things to be handed to them on a plate. I got a grant when I went to Uni. £13 for the whole year. It was not worth queing at the Bursars office. Assistance should be offered to those Students trying to improve there quality of life from a poor background. Nobody is arguing against Social mobility. EMA though is not the way to go about it. We could spend less money overall and offer more assistance to those who genuinely need it if means testing was introduced.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Jan 27 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 27 2011, 09:32 AM) *
All I would say is that I couldn't stay on at school or attend university, because there is now way my family could afford it. People from similar backgrounds to me just won't be able to stay on at school. I believe everyone should have an equal education and opportunities to be who they want to be.

When I applied to go to college in NYC in 1980, I was denied all forms of aids, grants etc. Not because my parents were rich, but because they owned a home, even though there were still 2 other kids still at home and still in school, and they were still paying the mortgage. I couldn't even get free public transport and the round trip was 3 hours a day.

I was faced with a dilema, either my parents for years took on this extra burden and I worked weekends and summers, or find another option. That other option turned out to be the USAF. I ended up travelling the world and I still work in the field I was trained in. Yes, I did go back to school, and while I am close to finishing my degree, I was still able to climb up the corporate ladder based on my training and experience I picked up over the years. While I would like to finish my degree, it's not the be or end all to success.

I coach American Football in the UK (unpaid volunteer), and I am amazed at the number of students to go to uni for a degree that interests them as a subject, but then not working in that field once they finish. Sure, sometimes needs outstrip necessity, but we are talking some 50 to 60 percent not working in the field the degree was obtained in. This is where it is wrong.

If you are doing a degree in education, medicial or some of the arts (as we still need music, history and literature and science), you should be well supported if need be. You should still be getting grants and other aid, for other subjects, but are they for the greater good of society? Are you working for a degree where you know you will be better paid after two years of going into that field, such as investment banking, where you could pay off your debts, etc quicker than you would on a teachers salary?

This is where the gov't is getting it wrong. Support those in the fields in which we need and are in short supply for the greater good.

This is where the gov't needs to get some smart people together who do not have a political agenda to come up with some ideas to raise cash to save programs such as the EMA if the people fit the adjusted criteria.

Here's a couple:

1. for every charity pound that gets sent overseas, a matching one to remain in the UK. Charities help with the funding of food programs, education programs, youth programs. Seems to me alot of money is sent overseas to help with activites that are in no better shape than they were 10, 20, 30 or 40 years ago.

2. Foreign aid: Only help those who are friends. Seems to me too much money goes to those who end up not supporting the UK. Will it cause ill feelings, maybe, but they already feel that way. Still provide humanitarian add to all in the event of natural disasters.

3. Long term unemployment - clean the parks, streets, rebuild derelict housing, anything but sitting at home. The New, New Deal. You don't work, you don't get paid...

4. 50 percent tax on banking bounses - If a bank gives out a billion pounds in bounses, then they pay half a billion in tax. Sure, it may effect shareholders, but something is better than nothing...

5. Visa tax - put a tax on each toursist/businessman entering the country, 5 quid a head. Call it a heritage tax. They do it in other countries when you have to pay for a visa. Even the USA does it in a roundabout way with the ESTA.

Do the right thing to help those who need it!!!! Give help to all, but adjust the criteria on who gets what, how much and when do they have to pay it back.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 27 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Simon @ Jan 27 2011, 09:56 AM) *

I agree. Benefits and free money are great in a society that can afford it. We can't anymore so people need to stand ontheir own wo feet and take some responsibility.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 27 2011, 11:49 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jan 27 2011, 11:38 AM) *
Benefits and free money are great in a society that can afford it.

Unfortunately , due to the human nature of many who will milk and abuse the system, even a society that can afford it will soon not be able to.
"Free" money is a gateway to financial disaster as we are now finding out.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 27 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Bloggo and Biker1, are either of you out of work?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 27 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 27 2011, 01:00 PM) *

If you are out of work and actively seeking employment, taking any suitable job that may be offered then , yes, you should be entitled to benefits.
It is not these people to whom Bloggo or I were referring to but those who choose benefits as a lifestyle and have no intention of changing that.
(Note my reference to "many who will milk and abuse the system")

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 27 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 27 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 27 2011, 01:08 PM) *

He's asked twice Boggo but still doesn't get the message - you have a go! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 27 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 27 2011, 12:08 PM) *

Some young women see 'work' as lying on your back and firing out as many kids by as many different fathers as possible so that they can get bigger and bigger houses. I think this is what bloggo and biker1 are in part referring to.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 27 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 27 2011, 12:18 PM) *
He's asked twice Boggo but still doesn't get the message - you have a go! tongue.gif

While you are not obliged to, but you could just answer the question. Just a thought.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 27 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jan 27 2011, 12:25 PM) *
Some young women see 'work' as lying on your back and firing out as many kids by as many different fathers as possible so that they can get bigger and bigger houses. I think this is what bloggo and biker1 are in part referring to.

Ah, the feckless. Yes, the cause of all our social ills. Newbury is littered with abandoned babies lying all over the path. About time they dealt with that!

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 27 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 27 2011, 12:00 PM) *

I guess there is some obscure reason for your question. Care to enlighten us?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 27 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jan 27 2011, 12:32 PM) *
I guess there is some obscure reason for your question. Care to enlighten us?

I just want to get a picture of whom I debate with.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 27 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 27 2011, 12:34 PM) *
I just want to get a picture of whom I debate with.

Ok. I started work at 13 with an evening and weekend delivery round. I did this to pay my way a little at home. I did an apprenticship when I left school on low wages for 5 years but I attended evening Tech college which I paid for. I have worked all my life and sometimes done two jobs to raise enough to get me the things in life I want. I have never claimed a benefit and I have earned everything I have.
And you know it's not being lucky or fortunate it's about getting off you're backside and seizing opportunities that are ther for everyone.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Simon
post Jan 27 2011, 01:06 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

couldnt agree with you more Bloggo

I think getting a paper round / part time job at an early is age is a right of passage.

I can remember working for an hour after school each night and then all day saturday in a office filing paperwork when i was 14 and then spending the money i had earned.

I appreciated the value and cost of everything i got so much more than the stuff my parents kindly got for me.

I cannot see the point of training and learning in higher education if you dont work along side that.

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 27 2011, 02:56 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

I was sacked from my paper round. The first paperboy the newsagent had ever had to sack in 40 years.

My proudest day.

Reason for being sacked? I'd earned enough cash to buy what I wanted & the idea of getting up at 6:00am no longer appealled

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Jan 27 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 27 2011, 02:56 PM) *
I was sacked from my paper round. The first paperboy the newsagent had ever had to sack in 40 years.

My proudest day.

Reason for being sacked? I'd earned enough cash to buy what I wanted & the idea of getting up at 6:00am no longer appealled

Leaving my employer in the lurch, not something I be proud of, let along brag about. Stinks of irresponsiblity and self centeredness. Are you in the banking trade now?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:33 PM