Reply to this topicStart new topic
> UKIPS proposed Burka ban, Agree / Disagree
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 18 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Nigel Farage has indicated that UKIP would like the wearing of the Burka to be banned.
Whilst difficult to enforce and a restriction of civil liberty I can see his point.

After all if any of us went into Barclays at Lunchtime with a Balaclava on I think we may well be arrested. We cannot have one rule for one section of society and one for another. I am with Sarcozy on this and would like to see a more Secular society.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blake
post Jan 18 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

I would like to see this awful garment banned too. This is an un-British form of oppression and is totally inappropriate to a liberal society.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 18 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jan 18 2010, 11:19 AM) *
Nigel Farage has indicated that UKIP would like the wearing of the Burka to be banned.
Whilst difficult to enforce and a restriction of civil liberty I can see his point.

After all if any of us went into Barclays at Lunchtime with a Balaclava on I think we may well be arrested. We cannot have one rule for one section of society and one for another. I am with Sarcozy on this and would like to see a more Secular society.

Well, this is a post that will start the fur flying.
I believe that Australia has banned it as well and I also think it should be banned here.

The UK is a diverse country in it's ethnic makeup and tolerant with it's acceptance of new and different cultures however I believe that wearing of the Burka is wrong in this country.

It is an abuse make to women wear it as it is fundamentally a method of subdegation.
It is totally against the hope that different cultures will successfully integrate in the UK.
It is a threat to the security of the UK particularly where air travel is concerned.
It is an afront to the sensitivities many people here, particularly older people, that feel threatened by the overt demonstration of wanting to create adifferent society within the UK.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jan 18 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

So to what degree do you believe that the law should control what people wear?

If such an Act were ever to make it to the statute books, you can bet your last dollar that 'mission creep' would come into play and further things would be banned as well.

I accept that the continued covering of faces is not acceptable when a burka or niquab is used, but the problem is not the covering per se but the refusal to remove it for identification.

Perhaps a better answer might be to issue formal guidance that refusal to deal with someone who is veiled in this way cannot be considered to be unlawful discrimination.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 18 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

What about jewellery depicting torture, should that be banned too?

What about hoodies too?

How about t-shirts with wording offensive to some on?

I'd say no to all four, what does everyone else think?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 18 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jan 18 2010, 12:14 PM) *
So to what degree do you believe that the law should control what people wear?

Well, I think beer-bellied blokes who go round in the summer topless in shorts should be forced to wear a burqa.

Never mind, at least you can get the latest Barbie Doll.

Jewellery depicting torture? What's all that about then? Unless you mean body piercings - I'd be all in favour of banning that.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 18 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 18 2010, 01:06 PM) *
Well, I think beer-bellied blokes who go round in the summer topless in shorts should be forced to wear a burqa.

Never mind, at least you can get the latest Barbie Doll.

Jewellery depicting torture? What's all that about then? Unless you mean body piercings - I'd be all in favour of banning that.
Have to agree about topless beer-bellied blokes. If we're banning clothing or lack of why not put that on the list too.

Jewellery depicting torture is often worn by some sections of society. I think it's distasteful but wouldn't like to see it banned.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 18 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 18 2010, 12:41 PM) *

What about hoodies too?

I'd say no to all four, what does everyone else think?

So you would be fine with me wearing a balaclava then User23? No concerns at all for you if I were stood behind you in a queue?

The problem is with the covering of the face. Lets just say I invent a new Religion and we pay homage to the Balaclava as our god so we must wear it all times. And then it gets a few thousand followers. You would not have a problem with this? Thousands of people wondering the streets on Newbury with Balaclavas on?

In answer to your question though:

Jewellery depicting torture? Fine as long as long as it does not breach any laws.
Hoodies? They should be banned if they are being used to avoid idnetification. I believe that some shopping centres have banned them for this very reason.
T shirts with offensive wording on. Again fine as long as no laws are breached.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 18 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 18 2010, 12:41 PM) *

If it is judged to be particularly offensive then yes.

What about hoodies too?

You have to ask yourself why to people want to hide away. Probably because they are up to no good.

Yes, it should be banned.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 18 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jan 18 2010, 01:27 PM) *
If it is judged to be particularly offensive then yes.

You have to ask yourself why to people want to hide away. Probably because they are up to no good.

Yes, it should be banned.
Who judges this as offensive though, what if I find the images of torture on the jewellery offensive and the bloke next to me doesn't?

As far as hoodies go, what if it's cold, are you now not allowed to wear a hood up so everyone can see your face?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 18 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Hasn't one or more states in America attempted to ban low slung baggy Jeans that show the underpants. I think the term is sagging.
Where would it end.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 18 2010, 01:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 18 2010, 01:40 PM) *
Who judges this as offensive though, what if I find the images of torture on the jewellery offensive and the bloke next to me doesn't?

Laws are made by parliment with the agreement of the majority of the public or parliment make the decision in the publics best interest.
I'd go along with that even if I not agree the decision

As far as hoodies go, what if it's cold, are you now not allowed to wear a hood up so everyone can see your face?

There is obviously a perfectly reasonable motive for wearing a Hoodie in such circumstances. But you knew that and you understand why I made the statement I made.
I understand that you don't agree but that's your prerogative.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jan 18 2010, 01:53 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

Ban baseball caps - they look ridiculous and are totally alien to our culture. Then ban those awful suitcases with wheels on them that people insist on dragging around The Underground with them, another unwanted intrusion on our ancient civilisation. Have they never heard of taxis? angry.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 18 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 18 2010, 01:40 PM) *
Hasn't one or more states in America attempted to ban low slung baggy Jeans that show the underpants. I think the term is sagging.
Where would it end.

It is not about showing their underpants it's about showing their Butts in the street.
Not an unreasonable thing to want to ban I would say.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 18 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

None of the usual suspects (User23 and Hugh Saskin) have attempted to answer my question about Balaclavas.

You don't mind then I presume?

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jan 18 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jan 18 2010, 02:00 PM) *
None of the usual suspects (User23 and Hugh Saskin) have attempted to answer my question about Balaclavas.

You don't mind then I presume?

What - you want to ban them now?

Ok, if you must. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 18 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I wouldn't ban the Burka, but I would make provision that someone wearing anything that concealed their face would be required to remove it in the interests of security.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jan 18 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 18 2010, 02:10 PM) *
I wouldn't ban the Burka, but I would make provision that someone wearing anything that concealed their face would be required to remove it in the interests of security.

A sensible suggestion but who decides when they must be removed in the interests of security? Going through airport check in, fine, but what about going into a general store /sub post office?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 18 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jan 18 2010, 02:24 PM) *
A sensible suggestion but who decides when they must be removed in the interests of security? Going through airport check in, fine, but what about going into a general store /sub post office?

There has already been a raid on a Jewellers with the Robbers wearing Burkas pretending to be women.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 18 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jan 18 2010, 02:32 PM) *
There has already been a raid on a Jewellers with the Robbers wearing Burkas pretending to be women.

They are also used as a means of escape by bypassing airport security.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:56 AM