Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Education.......The way forward .
SirWilliam
post Jan 5 2018, 09:24 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,341

I thought this was a joke headline till I actually read the piece .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42570861

I would expect an average 6 year old to know what continent the larger countries are proper to , but it seems that our education system is quite happy to churn out would be media studies entrants who are clueless of the world they inhabit . angry.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 5 2018, 10:09 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Ahh, the young. Bless em, experts on everything. (According to them)

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 6 2018, 07:43 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Can't help thinking that this is a long term policy; a national dumbing down. Do we really need large numbers of highly educated people now and for the future? Is it not better to subliminally promote mass dependent obedience?

Yes, we see the results on social media, but so what if 'the masses' display such ignorance; they are at least content and not taking to the streets. So why worry; what can go wrong?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 6 2018, 11:07 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Almost as dumb as an individual who accepts examples of ignorance as proof of a failed education system. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jan 6 2018, 12:27 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 6 2018, 11:07 AM) *
Almost as dumb as an individual who accepts examples of ignorance as proof of a failed education system. tongue.gif

Is it not the raison d'être of the school to at least teach it's pupils basic knowledge ? I do accept that ignorance is somehow the fault of the individual because their ability is not as great as their contemporaries . By the age of 11 every child in the state education system should be able to handle simple mental and written mathematics without the use of a calculator , have a rudimentary knowledge of the past 1000 years of world history , be aware of the geographical structure of the planet and most important of all be able to read a work of fiction and able to digest the plot . Everything else is of superficial importance .
The Victorians , ( those much beloved by rabid tories and libtards alike ) , considered that the education of the masses would be detrimental to the stratification of the status quo and by concentrating on teaching the privileged few , leadership was preordained and the workers grateful for employment . Remember the Blair quote ? Well he failed to deliver , ( as in most things ) , as has the governments of both denominations who went before and have followed .
Maybe we , as a species , are intrinsically thick and therefore spending money on teaching us anything is a waste of resources ? Or we all have the ability to absorb information and the system should ensure that we succeed .
Me thinks the future is as unpredictable as a long range meteorological forecast but that doesn't mean we should ignore the facts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 6 2018, 01:03 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jan 6 2018, 12:27 PM) *
Is it not the raison d'être of the school to at least teach it's pupils basic knowledge ? I do accept that ignorance is somehow the fault of the individual because their ability is not as great as their contemporaries . By the age of 11 every child in the state education system should be able to handle simple mental and written mathematics without the use of a calculator , have a rudimentary knowledge of the past 1000 years of world history , be aware of the geographical structure of the planet and most important of all be able to read a work of fiction and able to digest the plot . Everything else is of superficial importance .
The Victorians , ( those much beloved by rabid tories and libtards alike ) , considered that the education of the masses would be detrimental to the stratification of the status quo and by concentrating on teaching the privileged few , leadership was preordained and the workers grateful for employment . Remember the Blair quote ? Well he failed to deliver , ( as in most things ) , as has the governments of both denominations who went before and have followed .
Maybe we , as a species , are intrinsically thick and therefore spending money on teaching us anything is a waste of resources ? Or we all have the ability to absorb information and the system should ensure that we succeed .
Me thinks the future is as unpredictable as a long range meteorological forecast but that doesn't mean we should ignore the facts.

It's probably that we have the intrinsic ability to learn and the ability to extend what we have learned. Formal education is nothing to do with individual survival, more the sustainability and continuation of the community. In a primitive society the ability to trap and prepare food is a key skill; one that most of us today will be quite ignorant about. As society develops, the educational strategy necessarily adapts to suit the need.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Jan 7 2018, 07:59 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jan 5 2018, 09:24 PM) *
I thought this was a joke headline till I actually read the piece .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42570861

I would expect an average 6 year old to know what continent the larger countries are proper to , but it seems that our education system is quite happy to churn out would be media studies entrants who are clueless of the world they inhabit . angry.gif

Old people are always saying thing were better when they were kids when they weren't. The World has changed because of better communications so media studies is a good course to go for.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jan 7 2018, 10:00 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (The Hatter @ Jan 7 2018, 07:59 AM) *
Old people are always saying thing were better when they were kids when they weren't. The World has changed because of better communications so media studies is a good course to go for.

I hold my hands up to the age accusation but not the assumption that things were somehow " better " back in the day. I was educated by a system that a condoned the use of a cane as an incentive to absorb knowledge and a social infrastructure that determined my future courtesy of the motto on my school tie .
So no "good old days" there , but that was then and now is as removed from that world as at any time in history . My point being that with our advancement should come increased enlightenment . The devise I am using to publish this reply is a thing of abject wonder in that it not only allows me to say my piece but have access to the most comprehensive learning tool imaginable .
So why is general ignorance still prevalent ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 7 2018, 04:09 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jan 6 2018, 12:27 PM) *

Who taught you to put a character space before a full-stop or question mark? wink.gif

The point I'm trying to make is to ask whether anecdotal examples of people's ignorance is proof of a failed education system; I don't think it is.

I suspect our education system is faulty, but not for that reason. Having a poor memory isn't necessarily the fault of an education. Just as not being numerate is proof either. Sadly, some of us are just simply lacking. Mine is spelling. With the best will in the world I just cannot spell. Not only that, my mental arithmetic is poor too. In my experience, the bias towards disciple probably affected my ability to learn. I saw it as a challenge and in my immaturity, I devoted more time to challenging that, than learning. I also resented the policy of shaming in class. I remember a number of people with certain learning difficulties being bullied in class.

I'm also not sure of the value of the received tuition of our history; the older I get, them more I realise a lot of it is propaganda.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 7 2018, 04:58 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jan 7 2018, 10:00 AM) *
I hold my hands up to the age accusation but not the assumption that things were somehow " better " back in the day. I was educated by a system that a condoned the use of a cane as an incentive to absorb knowledge and a social infrastructure that determined my future courtesy of the motto on my school tie .
So no "good old days" there , but that was then and now is as removed from that world as at any time in history . My point being that with our advancement should come increased enlightenment . The devise I am using to publish this reply is a thing of abject wonder in that it not only allows me to say my piece but have access to the most comprehensive learning tool imaginable .
So why is general ignorance still prevalent ?

It comes down to what is 'general ignorance'. i seem to recall some quite defunct subjects on the curriculum way back. At one stage, we were given a choice, Latin or Technical Drawing - both arguably no longer general subjects these days. There are a good few others. We no longer need great mental arithmetical skills; unless for competitive reasons, for instance. Why would just boys need a degree of proficiency in woodwork any more than girls in sewing. Is it now truly necessary for us to know the capitals of every country in the world or that George VI was last British Emperor of India.

We might not like what they've absorbed but those coming out of the education system today seem able to cope with a modern lifestyle that would have been totally alien to most of us.

The irony is, though we might not like the result, it was us older generations who sat back and let it all happen; not better organising the imperial transition to commonwealth, letting even our modern industry become smothered, maintaining an unquestioned deference to America, etc.

Where do we go from here? I suspect looking a lot like Australia, so the future may be different but will it be so bad....

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jan 8 2018, 10:55 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

The popular consensus appears to propose that things are reasonably rosey in the garden and we should accept that we are all academically governed by our own ability and providing it doesn't present personal concern then the world continues to rotate on it's axis . This is fine and I have no problem with someone who has trouble with certain aspects of literacy / numeracy etc. as it is their position and no concern of the rest of the populace .
My rant is centred around the fact that those who are obviously at the muddy end of the pond deem fit to express their ignorance in the wider world before at least checking their facts .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 8 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

This might help.

https://youtu.be/Sz0o9clVQu8

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 8 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 8 2018, 02:37 PM) *

....but who created this generation and probably its parents too Turin Machine?

tongue.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jan 8 2018, 06:48 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 8 2018, 05:52 PM) *

tongue.gif

As good an argument as any to license reproduction . Those who do not posses an IQ of at least 140 would be subjected to mandatory abstinence of rumpy pumpy so leaving a future population consisting only of academics and genetically challenged individuals with a habsburg lip to run the world . The idea of an endogamy does have the advantage of being very short lived but an awful lot of damage can be achieved .
Joking apart , most of those I have met who were born this century appear to be level headed individuals who just want the chance to get a foot in the work place and build their future . The ones that don't are those who make the headlines .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 8 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jan 8 2018, 06:48 PM) *
Joking apart , most of those I have met who were born this century appear to be level headed individuals who just want the chance to get a foot in the work place and build their future . The ones that don't are those who make the headlines .

Bingo!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 9 2018, 12:43 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 8 2018, 05:52 PM) *

tongue.gif

Weelll, at a rough guess I would say their Mummies and daddies, isn't that how it usually works??

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 9 2018, 06:31 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 9 2018, 12:43 AM) *
Weelll, at a rough guess I would say their Mummies and daddies, isn't that how it usually works??

Yes, Empires wax and wane; ours is going down.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 9 2018, 06:35 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jan 8 2018, 06:48 PM) *
As good an argument as any to license reproduction . Those who do not posses an IQ of at least 140 would be subjected to mandatory abstinence of rumpy pumpy so leaving a future population consisting only of academics and genetically challenged individuals with a habsburg lip to run the world . The idea of an endogamy does have the advantage of being very short lived but an awful lot of damage can be achieved .

The headlines are created by the deviant in any social group; but usually but usually reflect an underlying trend.

Re-reading the opening post is interesting. Then ask yourself; Is Turkey part of Europe?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jan 9 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 9 2018, 06:35 AM) *
The headlines are created by the deviant in any social group; but usually but usually reflect an underlying trend.

Re-reading the opening post is interesting. Then ask yourself; Is Turkey part of Europe?

The bit this side of the Bosphorus is and the larger bit the other isn't . Simples . Then it get's complicated when the inhabitants of Istanbul are asked . It is a bit like asking at which point does the north of england begin ? Answers on a postcard please.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 9 2018, 01:28 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jan 9 2018, 11:06 AM) *
The bit this side of the Bosphorus is and the larger bit the other isn't . Simples . Then it get's complicated when the inhabitants of Istanbul are asked . It is a bit like asking at which point does the north of england begin ? Answers on a postcard please.

Why do you not punctuate correctly? Is it an old fashioned thing or are you using a typing aid (I don’t think you are, but mentioned it just-in-case)!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:46 PM