IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So Mr and Mrs Lucky person,what will you spend it on ?
lordtup
post Feb 16 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 164

Why is it that whenever some fortunate individual scoops a King's ransom on the lottery,the press are obsessed with how they should spend it.
Surely once achieved the whole point is to hang on to it . Heaven knows the odds of it happening ,so to squander it on trivial materialistic objects would be total folly.
I appreciate the journalistic angle , but come on . rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 16 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I think you'd have a job to spend it on trivial materialistic objects. Even at today's miserable 1% interest rates, it would generate an income of £560,000 a year, or £1,530 a day.

I think you could cream a couple of £1m+ houses off the top, though, without worrying too much. smile.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 16 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (lordtup @ Feb 16 2010, 09:34 PM) *
Surely once achieved the whole point is to hang on to it . Heaven knows the odds of it happening ,so to squander it on trivial materialistic objects would be total folly.
The whole point of trying to WIN it, is so that you can go out and SPEND it...... You only live once, so trivial materialistic objects sounds good to me... See the world... Try before you die....... Take a photograph of every day of your life so that when you lose it at least you'll have a copy.... Give up work and start crossing off those 100 Things To See Before You Die.....

Reminds me of the George Best quote "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." The booze is a waste... but the birds and fast cars? Maybe....

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Feb 17 2010, 08:47 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 16 2010, 11:08 PM) *
The whole point of trying to WIN it, is so that you can go out and SPEND it...... You only live once, so trivial materialistic objects sounds good to me... See the world... Try before you die....... Take a photograph of every day of your life so that when you lose it at least you'll have a copy.... Give up work and start crossing off those 100 Things To See Before You Die.....

Reminds me of the George Best quote "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." The booze is a waste... but the birds and fast cars? Maybe....

Yes, I agree enjoy a unique and wonderful opportunity.

Apparently the guy who won said to his partner "what shall we do about the begging letters" and she said "keep sending them"

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 17 2010, 09:03 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

The biggest 'worry' is the risk of hostage taking and the impact on the relationship with the rest of the family. This sort of win seems like poisoned chalice to me.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Feb 17 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Er, they aren't Mr & Mrs; they are co-habiting.

There was an article in the Telegraph on Monday that he could walk away with the lot and she would have no claim.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Feb 17 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Money doesn't buy happiness!!!
But you can be miserable in comfort. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 17 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (lordtup @ Feb 16 2010, 09:34 PM) *
Why is it that whenever some fortunate individual scoops a King's ransom on the lottery,the press are obsessed with how they should spend it.
I appreciate the journalistic angle , but come on . rolleyes.gif

to quote Javis Cocker, Mis-Shapes

Check your lucky numbers,
that much money could drag you under, oh.
What's the point of being rich,
if you can't think what to do with it?
Cos you're so bleeding thick.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 17 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Off topic but I love that album. It has poignant lyrics throughout, I can listen to it over and over start to finish. In fact I would put Different Class in the top 5 albums of all time.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Feb 18 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Having no great wish to show my ignorance , but I must admit I have not heard of the gentleman . Still we won't let that interrupt a decent thread , though I still stand by my original view that responsibility companies the arrival of wealth .
Future generations would not look kindly on the frivolity of one of their antecedents . wink.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 18 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 17 2010, 04:20 PM) *
to quote Javis Cocker, Mis-Shapes

I've heard of Jarvis ...? Is that the same chappy?? wink.gif

QUOTE (lordtup @ Feb 18 2010, 09:39 AM) *
Future generations would not look kindly on the frivolity of one of their antecedents
"yeah.... we hate grandad coz he won loadsamoney and spent it on himself...... Could've invested it all and left it to us once he'd croaked so WE could've been feckless idle layabouts"

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 18 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (lordtup @ Feb 18 2010, 09:39 AM) *
Having no great wish to show my ignorance , but I must admit I have not heard of the gentleman . Still we won't let that interrupt a decent thread , though I still stand by my original view that responsibility companies the arrival of wealth .
Future generations would not look kindly on the frivolity of one of their antecedents . wink.gif

I disagree. Spending money keeps many people employed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:52 PM