Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reading Transport/ Reading Buses/ Newbury Buses
theone09
post Dec 6 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 341

Reading transport change the routes, cut the amount buses per hour raise prices etc... then go and spend £300,000(Three Hundred Thousand Pounds) on an electric powered bus!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 6 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

It's those bloody Tories again, this looks like a job for Supergarvie!

In seriousness, I think with buses, it is a case of use it or loose it.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 6 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

I doubt the Tories decided to buy the electric bus!!! I do think we need to look at how we provide bus services and who operates them (regardless of which party is running the council). The only way to improve useage would be to improve the network and look at the pricing structure. Search urban bus challenge and rural bus challenge on google, and it will bring up a huge amount of projects which have boosted public transport useage, reduced costs to passengers and operators yet cost local authorities no extra. A lot comes down to better utilisation of vehicles and routes, providing services that cater for demand and making it affordable. There are a number of people in Lambourn and that area for instance who work in London. None of them can use the bus service as there is no connections to the trains they need to use to get to and from work.

Unfortunately the urban bus challenge and the rural scheme bit the bullet because of the economy. One of the projects Labour should have kept IMO. There is nothing to stop private componanies from providing the cash injection required though.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 6 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

If I heard the news item correctly, Reading Transport didn't pay for the buses - they were obtained through a Government grant. They (RT) are apparently going to be saving money due to the lower running costs of these hybrid buses.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 7 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (theone09 @ Dec 6 2010, 03:42 PM) *
Reading transport change the routes, cut the amount buses per hour raise prices etc... then go and spend £300,000(Three Hundred Thousand Pounds) on an electric powered bus!

On a similar vein, how much is it to cost to bring electric trains to Newbury but I am sure most will welcome it.

+Quote Post
Blake
post Dec 7 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

There may be an upfront high cost, but this will be offset by improved gas mileage on these vehicles.

In addition, the other benefit is much lower Co2 emissions and cleaner air. Those attributes are priceless.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Dec 7 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

QUOTE (Blake @ Dec 7 2010, 09:51 AM) *
There may be an upfront high cost, but this will be offset by improved gas mileage on these vehicles.

In addition, the other benefit is much lower Co2 emissions and cleaner air. Those attributes are priceless.

Exactly, it can only be a good thing. I suspect that eventually most buses will be come electricly powered.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 7 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 7 2010, 09:47 AM) *
On a similar vein, how much is it to cost to bring electric trains to Newbury but I am sure most will welcome it.

I don't suppose that many care if the train they use is electric or diesel-electric (as through trains will still have to be) - what people want is cheaper rail travel and a seat when they are on the train. The seat situation may improve with this new investment but it seems to me that ticket pricing is designed to drive people off the trains and on to the roads.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 7 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Dec 7 2010, 01:00 PM) *
I don't suppose that many care if the train they use is electric or diesel-electric

Same applies to buses then whether they be diesel or electric?
So, if that applies, what's the point?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 7 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Electric Buses? £300K?

We need more Diesel to get that Global Warming going again. Brrrrrrrr..... Its cold!

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Dec 7 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

I've got the bus from time to time, and service is OK but very poor value for money.

Unlimited daily travel around Newbury and Reading is £8 vs £3.40 in Bournemouth/Poole (yes I know it's much busier there) or up to £7 from surrounding towns into Norwich.

What I don't understand around here is why there's buses between Hungerford/Newbury/Thatcham/Reading, when there's a perfectly good rail service. But trying to get into Newbury from the sticks is nigh on impossible.

All this would suggest the local contract is poorly managed.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 7 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 7 2010, 09:47 AM) *

I think it's just the cost of the wires really. We will be getting the existing four carriage Thamelink stock once the new trains for that line are replaced. My question would be "What happens with Kintbury, Hungerford and Bedwyn"? If the line is electrified to Newbury and turbos are withdrawn, those three stations would be relying on long distance trains to stop. Would HST's stop at all three stations every hour to match the current service?

+Quote Post
wahian
post Dec 7 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 652

The way I read the bus news story was there will eventually be a fleet of 30 of these hybrid buses which cost £300,000 each ( £9 million in total) with a government subsidy for the hybrid conversion of £108,000 each making £3.24 million in total by 2012 when all 30 buses will be in service after an initial start of 6 buses next week.

+Quote Post
Busman
post Dec 8 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 296

I'd like to point out that you'll never see any of these in newbury as reading transport doesn't want to spend any money here and just likes tightening the thumb screws. A recent quote from our manager "your lucky your getting a 1% pay rise" this would be great if they hadn't cut about 30-50 minutes off our weekly average.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Dec 8 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

Camper van wouldn't start the other day, so waited at Bus Stop at top of Kiln Hill, by Stoney Lane, for nearly half an hour - No bus!! Said 39 mins to the hour it came. We left as my son was freezeing so we went back home without going into town. If the prices are going to be expensive at least ensure the bus comes on time.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Dec 8 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Dec 8 2010, 01:21 PM) *
Camper van wouldn't start the other day, so waited at Bus Stop at top of Kiln Hill, by Stoney Lane, for nearly half an hour - No bus!! Said 39 mins to the hour it came. We left as my son was freezeing so we went back home without going into town. If the prices are going to be expensive at least ensure the bus comes on time.

Deliberate ploy? If the buses are seriously late as the new route No 1 invariably is, the bus company then proclaim people are not using the service and discontinue it. Newbury bus transport has been in decline since Reading took over, our fares are more expensive, the frequency far less. I would like to see a punctuality table similar to the one train companies use.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 8 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Is it not true that Graham Jones has a seat on the board of Reading Transport? And Jeff Brooks? Somebody told me on Sunday night that it was run like a cooperative, not too sure if that's the case?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 8 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Why would a Municiple transport organisation would want to operate in another town? For the benefit of the residents of the new locality? Suspect its for the very same reason why EdF took over London Electricity. I think the bus service in Reading is fantastic....

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 8 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Pity we can't better utilise those empty Vodafone buses that drive around the town all day for the use of the general public.

Wouldn't it be environmentally and financially cheaper for Vodafone to pay for taxis for the few who use the service?
Or was it an agreement with the Council to provide this service in order to get planning permission on greenfield land?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 8 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 8 2010, 09:52 PM) *
Pity we can't better utilise those empty Vodafone buses that drive around the town all day for the use of the general public.

Wouldn't it be environmentally and financially cheaper for Vodafone to pay for taxis for the few who use the service?
Or was it an agreement with the Council to provide this service in order to get planning permission on greenfield land?

Empty?

You want to see them first thing in the morning and in the evening. Packed solid with "Bus full" signs.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:01 PM